Florence on Easter Sunday !!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29th, 2006, 08:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Next year we will be in Florence and I'm guessing that everything will be closed.

I guess we will just drive by the places but - are busses running, shops,& grocery stores open, restaurants ?
Maybe only the churches are open.

Anyone been there on Easter or other holiday ? Thanks
Old Apr 29th, 2006, 09:48 AM

Just returned from Easter in Florence.Just about everything was open. Even places that I thought would be closed, like Palazzo Vecchio, Pitti Palace etc. One of our favorite restaurants, Trattoria Antico Fattore, which is normally closed on Sunday, opened with a special Easter Menu. Many shops were closed, but lots of action in the streets. You'll have no problem.The 11 AM service in the Duomo is not to be missed. BIG fireworks outside with the cart, called Scopio or similar. Planing is half the fun. Enjoy.
Old Apr 29th, 2006, 09:58 AM
Original Poster

I am amazed - glad to hear so much is open . Thanks
Old Apr 29th, 2006, 11:06 AM
MaureenB

If you want to attend Easter Sunday Mass, get to the church in Florence EARLY. My daughter tried three churches and couldn't get into a single one, because they were over-filled. They had very strict policies and a very strict 'bouncer' at the door. She never did get to attend an Easter Mass.

Old Apr 29th, 2006, 12:18 PM

At the Duomo, there is the 11 AM big Easter Mass, plus the fireworks. I enteres from the side door on the North side at about 10:15 AM and secured a spot along the aisle to see the spectacle. People were able to enter from there right up to Mass time. Actually, after the fireworks at the Gloria, a lot of folks left and I saddled right up to the front where a FRONT row seat opened up and there I was. Also, if you are there for the Holy Thursday and Good Friday, you can get the whole schedule for the services. Orsanmichele was very nice too. There are a lot of smaller neighborhood churches in Florence and the hotel should be able to find out specifics.

I planned our trip to coincide with the Easter holiday and was not disappointed.
Old Apr 29th, 2006, 12:22 PM

One other thing. If you indcate to the folks minding the door that you are there to pray, and not to visit the church as a tourist, they will let you in unless you are very late. Something like "per favore, vorrei preghare" accompanied by putting your hands together as in prayer should do it. That has been my experience.
Old Apr 29th, 2006, 03:42 PM
MaureenB

Actually, my daughter is Catholic, speaks Italian, and tried to get in a respectable time before the beginning of Mass-- and still no dice at three different churches.

Old Apr 29th, 2006, 04:01 PM

You already have several replies, but I, too, was worried about limited things to do on Easter and the day after (since it is an Italian holiday), but it seemed to me that everything was open and more busy than usual!
Old Apr 29th, 2006, 08:02 PM
MaureenB

I heard that Italians use the weeks before and after Easter for their own family vacations. If that's true, it would explain why places don't close down at Easter time.