Florence-hotel room $300 or less but charming or modern or both

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14th, 2007, 12:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am helping a relative with some travel plans and I need YOUR help!! I've only been to Florence once and where we stayed (in 2001) was non-descript...can't even remember the name.
Here's the deal:

Who:Woman traveling alone-she's a young 60ish very fun lady.
What:need a hotel room in the city.
When:early June 3 nights
Why:just to enjoy Florence!!
How:no car
Spend: about $300 or less if possible for what she wants

Wants:
Nothing too old....more on the modern side, or maybe older that has been refurbished-recently and is charming...

Clean bathroom is important to her.

I would love to hear any ideas you have.

Thanks so much,
Shadow

Old Mar 14th, 2007, 04:37 AM

In the upper range, try Hotel Davanzati. Less pricey is the wonderful Tourist House Ghiberti, which is just around the corner from the Duomo.
Old Mar 14th, 2007, 04:45 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I agree that the Tourist House Ghiberti is wonderful. But know that this is not a hotel. There is no real lobby, and staying there feels more like being in an apartment. The only interaction with fellow travelers will likely occur in the breakfast room. The owner covers the office/desk about 16 hours a day. He's helpful with tourist info although his personality is more cool than effusive. A woman traveling alone will most likely receive the kindest of treatment.

The rooms are very comfortable, a bit on the larger side (for Italy), and the bathrooms are huge (for Italy). Huge, deep tub and typical itsy-bitsy shower. Everything is extremely well kept and clean. The rooms all have computers with free internet and flat-screen TVs. The location is excellent, a few blocks from the Duomo, with a bus stop right outside the door.
Old Mar 14th, 2007, 04:52 PM

Check out Hotel David...It's across the river, with a long walk or very easy quick bus ride to the major sights. (Maybe a mile from the Ponte Vechhio Bridge) Quiet setting, great staff, charming atmosphere, and very reasonable. We found great rates on www.venere.com, currently listed at 125 euros.
Old Mar 14th, 2007, 05:43 PM

My daughter and family are staying at The Dei Mori b and b next week. It's between the Duomo and Piazza Signoria. Perfect pedestrian location. When she told me where it was located and sent me the web page I immediately said "Go for it"..reasonable rates.

http://www.florenceby.com/mori/index.html

Stu T.
Old Mar 14th, 2007, 05:43 PM

A really charming, elegant hotel, although maybe a tad more expensive than $300 a night, is the Helvetia e Bristol. It is so close to everything.
Old Mar 14th, 2007, 06:01 PM

I thought the Plaza Lucchesi was wonderful!
Old Mar 14th, 2007, 06:09 PM

Look at http://www.ilguelfobianco.it/en/index.htm
I have stayed at Il Guelfo Bianco four times and love the hotel and the location. If Carlo Cenni is still the manager, he will give you excellent service and great advice on places to eat. There are excellent comments on this hotel on Tripadvisor.
Old Mar 14th, 2007, 08:22 PM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Relais Grand Tour -- beautifully refurbished and very Florentine decor, immaculate and large bathrooms. 10 minute walk to the Duomo. I can't say enough positive things about the place!

www.florencegrandtour.com

Old Mar 15th, 2007, 05:14 AM

I stayed here and thought it was excellent. Charming but with modern bathrooms, flat screen tvs, etc. Great location.

www.inpiazzadellasignoria.com

Old Mar 17th, 2007, 08:40 AM

hi shadow,
if you are looking to save a little money, book on venere and use my discount code when you reserve, it will give you 4% off your total!

code: BH5F85S
Old Mar 17th, 2007, 08:47 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
mtlgirl: You have plastered the same message on several threads - and that is the <b>only</b> info you have <u>ever</u> posted on Fodors. Seems you are fishing -- or maybe phishing?!!?.
Old Mar 17th, 2007, 09:06 AM

Hi Shadow...my co-worker, a single woman who was in Florence on her own, stayed at the Hotel Botticelli and found it to be very pleasant.

http://www.florenceby.com/botticelli/index.html
Old Mar 19th, 2007, 04:08 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone.....she is checking into all these....hopefully one of them will work for her!!
Shadow
Old Mar 20th, 2007, 12:26 PM

Hi Shadow!
I saw your post on my Beara question and linked to your looking for me post and have replies on both places- here is my reply from the Beara thread-

<i>Author: 12perfectdays
Date: 03/14/2007, 05:51 am
Shadow! OMG!!! Great to hear from you!!!!
Never saw the thread- sorry. We are just missing each other this time. DH really didn't want to have to go back to work 16hrs after arriving home again so we are heading back (much to my chagrin) on Friday.

We will be in Ireland from the 9th-27th and are doing Bunratty, Killarney (revisit for DH), Beara, Dingle (my revisit pick), Oughterard, Westport, Sligo and Dublin ending (for day trips)

I wish we were sharing a flight again this time, would have been fun to meet your DH! Great to hear from you- did a scrapbook page of &quot;meeting people&quot; in Ireland and have that picture of you and I in the Dublin airport there...makes a great story!

I have bookmarked the looking for me thread- keep in touch and lemme know how your trip goes!</i>

Funny- Just went to see Peter Pan- now I really know how he felt chasing his shadow! &gt;&lt;
Keep in touch!
Dawn