Relais Cavalcanti or Alloro?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 17th, 2010, 05:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks to all your help on my previous post, I've narrowed down a Florence choice to these two. Both get good reviews on TA and Venere.

For some reason I'm a bit more partial to the Cavalcanti, but I don't really know why!

Is there anything that might help me decide which way to go, other than a coin toss?

I have an awful feeling that I'm overthinking this choice......
Old May 17th, 2010, 09:27 AM

My daughter and I really enjoyed the Relais Cavalcanti. I think your instincts are good!

Here are my notes about it, from my trip report of May 2006:

"We took a short cab ride to the Relais Cavalcanti. a very charming little 'hotel', at Via Pellicceria, 2. It occupies one floor of a building located near the Uffizi gallery, in a very good central location. Because my daughter had just finished her semester in Florence, she was able to recommend her favorite location in town for lodging.

The Relais Cavalcanti building has been in the same family's ownership for 100+ years, the owner/manager of the new-ish Relais is Francesca. She said she inherited this one floor of the building, so she recently renovated it to create a little hotel. It's relatively new, with beautiful tile bathrooms, showers, etc. The rooms are very charming, and good-sized. It was 120 EUR for our double/twin, with private bath, which included a 10 EUR upgrade for the better view. Francesca did provide a 5 percent discount for payment in cash.

You have the feeling of entering a very nice, private Italian home, when you unlock the Relais door and smell the potpourri set out on the beautiful tables in the hallway and entry way. It has a small elevator and a/c, too. No breakfast is served, but even better I think is that they have a beautiful little dining room/kitchen that is open 24/7 for guests. You have always available the makings for coffee, hot chocolate and tea, plus containers of pre-wrapped pastries and dessert cakes. That's about as much as you get in any Italian B&B for breakfast, and this way you can serve yourself whenever.

One evening we bought wine, cheese, bread, and fruit and enjoyed our own private time in this beautiful room. The only thing to be aware of at Relais Cavalcanti is that the first floor of the building is the Old Stove Irish pub. The good news is that it's a decent little place for panini, and has free wi-fi. However, it attracts a lot of students and young people, so it is quite noisy into the early morning hours. Our room window was directly above the pub's patio, with a nice view of adjoining rooftops. The double windows, plus the wooden shutters, can block out about 90 percent of the noise from the pub below. I found that I could also turn on the a/c fan in our room, which would then totally cover any outside noise.

Francesca also cautions her prospective guests that she does not staff a 24/7 front desk. She is there during posted hours, mostly till 6 p.m., and has an emergency number on the door. But she is careful to tell guests that hers is not a hotel with full-services at night-time. I highly recommend the Relais Cavalcanti."
Old May 17th, 2010, 05:02 PM

markland,
charlesg here again. I am assuming u have never been to florence, pardon me if i am wrong. RC is two or three blocks from almost everything.

the alloro, know thing about, but it is a hike from Uffizi, Ponta V, Pz S, domo and Piti. Area around train station has never made me feel comfortable.

The Alloro is closer to San Loreno, Medici chapel, and couple of others. And looks great from website.

RC's Only draw backs are market setup noise and no staff after 5 or 6. Plus is Francesca is the cutest female in Italy. Pardon me have been drink margaritas, i have granddaughter almost at old as her. Neither of these would be a bad choice.
Old May 17th, 2010, 07:08 PM

I stayed at Relais Cavalcanti in 2008 and my DD and I will return for four days in June. This is a wonderful pensione/hotel. It is centrally located and the staff is great. There can be some noise issues from the Old Stove, but I learned long ago to take ear plugs when I travel any where. Buon viaggio.
Old May 17th, 2010, 08:58 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
>>>the alloro, know thing about, but it is a hike from Uffizi, Ponta V, Pz S, domo and Piti. Area around train station has never made me feel comfortable.<<<

The Alloro is not really around the train station and is a shorter walk to the Duomo than the Cavalcanti. It's on a quiet street and interior courtyard (no pubs below). You enter from via Giglio, but it really doesn't front on Giglio. Many rooms front on the interior courtyard which a quite a bit back from Giglio. A few of the rooms have windows on the side street of Alloro. This street is small without much traffic (not as much as Giglio). Via Giglio has several sidwalk cafes near the entrance to Alloro. If you look at the video of pictures on their website, one view out the window shows just how close to the Duomo.

I think the rooms might be a bit nicer at Cavalcanti, but from what Peaceout paid in 2006 they seem to be quite a bit higher than the Alloro (perhaps double in price). I don't think you can expect them to be comparable when one is higher in price.

The Alloro does have a mini-fridge and electric kettle in the room with snacks (some free and some pay) and tea/coffee. They also include breakfast. They don't really have public space except a hallway where the check-in desk is and there is always a basket of fruit and snacks there for guests. When you take the elevator down, you exit into an interior courtyard (there are a couple of tables).
Old May 18th, 2010, 05:49 AM
Original Poster

They are actually both around the same price, within a couple of Euros of each other.

Still undecided, I'm hoping to hear something that would make the choice obvious.

Cheers
Old May 18th, 2010, 08:05 AM

Did you inquire about a discount for paying in cash?

Our double room at Cavalcanti room also had a small fridge in it, if that matters. I think they stocked it with a Coca-Cola, too.