Florence - Hotel Relais Cavalcanti

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18th, 2003, 06:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be taking my family of 12 to Florence in March. Has anyone ever stayed at the Hotel Relais Cavalcanti in Florence? My parents will be with us and they need a centrally located hotel with an elevator, or not too many stairs. I was going to book the San Lorenzo apartments but they don't have an elevator. Any places I may have overlooked? Remember, we have 12 people. Thanks for your consiceration.
Old Dec 18th, 2003, 06:45 AM
Original Poster

oops. I should have proof read my message. Sorry.
Old Dec 18th, 2003, 04:50 PM
KDN

In November we stayed in the Palazzo Gamba Apartments. They are right next to the Duomo, have an elevator and were very nice. They were very reasonably priced also. We saw no info on any of the travel websites about them, but took a chance and were quite satisfied. The website is: http://www.palazzogambaflorence.com
Old Dec 21st, 2003, 01:58 PM
Original Poster

KDN
Thank you for the suggestion. I checked out Palazzo Gamba with the information you gave me. It looks great. I have already emailed them and I'm waiting for a reply.
Old Jan 2nd, 2004, 06:30 PM

Hi Soleil,
I just came back from Italy Dec. 31, 2003 and stayed at the Relais Cavalcanti with my family two times.

It is quite lovely. Very freshly remodeled with impeccable bathrooms. The location is great and we enjoyed being so close to the Ponte Vecchio and a good restaurant closeby and I enjoyed watching the vendors set up in the Mercato Noevo in the mornings from my window.
It does have a flight of stairs before the elevator.
It is run by two young sisters who are very professional and extremely helpful. In fact they (Francesca and Anna) were more like concierges than any of the other hotels we stayed at. On Dec. 30 she was calling lots of restaurants to try and find a reservation for New Years Eve for one of their guests.

But this is not a hotel. Which is good and bad. The good is that it is lovely and homey and you feel like you have your own apt in Italy when the taxi drops you off. The disadvantage is that they are not there all the time, so it can be difficult to manage the keys. They stayed late to meet me one time. The other time I dropped off my luggage to store it there and picked up the key at the same time. Once you get the keys, you have free access in and out. But we did find it inconvenient that they did not have a second set of keys so that my husband and I had to try and figure what to do while I went with my daughter in a separate direction than my husband. It worked out okay, though. And I must say Francesca and Anna were so extremely nice and helpful it probably compensated for the inconvenience about the keys.

Best of luck and let me know if I can be of further help or answer any other questions.

[email protected]