Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Florence and Venice - Quick tips and things to do?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29th, 2015, 03:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are currently in Florence and have 3 nights there remaining (including today). We are seeing the Academy Gallery and Uffizi today and will be done at 6:30pm. Any night things to do?

Tomorrow we are seeing Pisa at 4:30pm, thinking about doing a day trip to Siena. Anything else to do on the last remaining night? Like must sees? We aren't huge museum people but like general history and site seeing like the duomo was cool.

For Venice, we pre-booked the secret itineraries of that one popular building and besides that nothing else is planned. I read the duomo is kinda cool too.

Any other Venice suggestions?
Old Sep 29th, 2015, 03:58 AM

A coffe at place St Marc is cool.
It is not that far from that popular building.
Old Sep 29th, 2015, 04:23 AM

For something unusual in Florence: go the Museo La Specola, at the Via Romana 17, some hundred metres after the Palazzo Pitti.
For Venice the best thing I can recommend you is to get lost and find something you didn't expect.
Old Sep 29th, 2015, 05:24 AM

In Siena don't miss the Piccolomini Library inside the Duomo.

In Florence, you can visit the Palazzo Vecchio, really good, and usualy short lines if any!

Piazzale Michelangelo, for the best views of the city.

Osteria Dell'Oste for good gnocchi.

Enjoy those beautiful cities!
Old Sep 29th, 2015, 06:15 AM

In Florence, as noted above, the Piazzale Michelangelo is a nice spot when the sun is setting on the city. There are a couple of restaurants and cafes above the PM, where you can have a glass of wine while watching the sunset.

The walk back into the city from the PM isn't bad, since it's all downhill, or you can take a bus (buy tix at the Tabacchi there).

We took the Secret Itineraries tour in Venice, and we liked it.
Old Sep 29th, 2015, 06:48 AM

I was in Florence last week. I enjoyed "Magnificent" special exhibit at Palazzo Vecchio. Note discout if you arrived in Florence using a Freccia train. http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...n-florence.cfm
Old Sep 29th, 2015, 07:35 AM

In Venice, at night go to St. Mark's square and listen to the musicians playing at the different cafes. You don't have to sit and pay but can wander between the cafes as the musicians often take turns playing. They put on a great show and the square is much less crowded and much more enjoyable than during the day.

If you have time, take a ferry to Burano -- beautiful island with houses painted in vivid colors and much less crowded than Venice.
Old Sep 29th, 2015, 11:06 AM

Here is a suggestion. Make sure, before you arrive, that you are clear on how you are going to get from where you arrive - Venezia Santa Lucia most likely - to your hotel.

We see so many visitors struggling with maps, trying to figure where they are, where they are going, which vaporetto they should take, and it's not happy. It can be really stressful, and I think that Venice can be very confusing for new arrivals.

A good map is essential, and Google maps is pretty hopeless in Venice. Make sure you have a real address for your hotel, not just "San Marco 2947" for example.
Old Sep 29th, 2015, 12:53 PM

>>In Venice, at night go to St. Mark's square and listen to the musicians playing at the different cafes. You don't have to sit and pay but can wander between the cafes as the musicians often take turns playing. <<

Do sit and have a drink and some hors d'oeuvres. It's worth the experience at twice the price.
Old Sep 29th, 2015, 01:00 PM

I was shocked at the drink prices at St. Marks - 9 euro for a coffee was too much for me!

Quick tips:

Have late afternoon cicchetti * a spritz in Dorsoduro

The San Polo neighborhood has more interesting dinner restaurants than the main center

The view from the campanile on S. Giorgio Maggiore is fantastic. It's an island just offshore of St. Mark's, and is easy to get to.

Row Venice offers lessons in traditional paddling. We did a 90-minute lesson in the evening, and it was over much too quickly. I can't recommend this highly enough.

For Florence, seconding the suggestion to walk up to Piazza Michelangelo for the sunset.
Old Sep 29th, 2015, 01:16 PM

The best thing you can do in Venice is to get away from all of the places all of the rest of the tourists are going. That way you can see what Venice is really all about.

Do you have a Kindle or Nook with you? If so, download this book. It is fabulous and give you ideas on lots of walks and places to go where most of the typical tourist itineraries do not go.

http://www.amazon.com/Venice-Italy-H...e+travel+guide
Old Sep 29th, 2015, 01:24 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
in Florence, catch the bus up to Fiesole and enjoy the view of sunset over florence, then a drink or a nice dinner [but check the time of the last bus or spring for a taxi!]

The palazzo vecchio opens until midnight most nights so it should be easy to get in.
Old Sep 30th, 2015, 08:07 AM

I would not miss the Medici Chapels in Florence. You are going to see the gorgeous tombs of the Medici as long as seven statues by Michelangelo.For a ticket of € 6/person with no line at the entrance, this is a great deal.
The Medici Chapels are located behind the church of San Lorenzo.
Here is a list of minor/hidden attractions in Florence which is useful when you already visited Uffizi, Duomo and David: http://yourcontactinflorence.com/thi...t-and-history/