Fjord Tour in Norway

Search

Fjord Tour in Norway

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13th, 2018, 05:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fjord Tour in Norway

I would like to take a fjord tour this summer when I am in Oslo.

Should I travel to Bergen and take a tour from here, or go on the Geiranger fjord?

Which fjord offers the best views and experience?
What is the price of each (approximate)?
How long is needed for each, including travel to and from Oslo?

Thanks!
Old Mar 14th, 2018, 12:00 PM

Well you can't beat the fjord experience of the Norway In a Nutshell excursion which you can easily do on your own from Oslo in a day - take train to Voss - mountain bus to Gudvagen, on fjord and few-hour boat ride to Flam - scenic mountain railway to Myrdhal and trains back to Oslo - or vice versa. Long day but gorgeous scenes and easily do from Oslo.

https://www.norwaynutshell.com/

Sources with some nice info on the NIN (lots of tours too) check BETS-European Rail Experts and www.ricksteves.com.

https://www.google.com/search?q=norw...w=1503&bih=738

Not familiar with other fjord tour from Bergen but to go to Bergen and do tour would probably require an overnight in Bergen?
Old Mar 14th, 2018, 02:32 PM

Why not just google fjord tours near Oslo. I’m sure you will get a number of possibilities. There are options other than Norway in a Nutshell.
Old Mar 14th, 2018, 04:05 PM

Yeh but part of the lure of NIN from Oslo is you get to ride one of Europe's most scenic railways to Myrdhal - the Oslo-Bergen Railway

https://www.google.com/search?q=oslo...h=738&dpr=1.25

And NIN plies Norway's largest fjord = we saw whales there!

Don't know about other fjords that may be closer to Oslo however so maybe they are just as neat.
Old Mar 25th, 2018, 07:07 AM

We typically avoid the tours, and instead for our planned Norway trip this May bought our Train directly from Oslo to Bergen and rented a car to head up to some of the scenic drives around Geiranger Fjord. For info on scenic drives: https://www.visitnorway.com/plan-you...scenic-routes/

We decided to reduce our Oslo time to only 1 night as we are going more for the scenery this trip and fit in train from Oslo to Flam, overnight there to hopefully see the town without alot of the day trippers, then next day mid-day train on to Bergen for 2 days. We wished we had delayed buying the Ferry legs of our trip and just did roundtrip car from Bergen to Fjords and back as Michael suggested in my Nov, post. Being able to drive the scenic drives, stopping for photos, and taking the car on smaller ferries for more upclose views of the tighter fjords like Geiranger appealed to us.
Old Mar 27th, 2018, 07:23 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone for your replies! If I choose the Geiranger Fjord option, can I do it in 2 days from Oslo (using bus/train) or do I need 3 days?
Old Mar 27th, 2018, 08:39 PM

For Geiranger, I'd recommend taking three days! It just makes the trip much more laid back.

If you went Oslo-Bergen, you could add overnight stops in either Flåm, Gudvangen, Vatnahalsen or Stalheim.