First trip to Paris

Jan 11th, 2004, 01:28 PM
Original Poster

First trip to Paris

Aloha, Just wondering if anyone could suggest a nice hotel in a central location that is not too expensive (80-120 EUR)?
Thanks.
Jan 11th, 2004, 01:36 PM
ira

Hi

I like the Hotel Bonaparte, 6 rue bonaparte. About 115E/dbl w/bkfst.
Jan 11th, 2004, 02:47 PM

You can go to http://digital.france.com/hotels and do a search for hotels. When you click on the hotel, there are reviews that tend to be brutally honest. I read as many reviews as I can stand to get a feel for the average hotel experience.

We've booked there for years and had a great experience. We've stayed at Hotel Clement in the 6th (@125 euros) and liked it. We recently stayed at Hotel la Sorbonne in the 5th (@80 euros) and liked it also. They are both centrally located, friendly and very clean. Beds are good too.

They are not luxury hotels but you don't get luxury at that price. They are both near Metro stations and that's handy also.

Enjoy your trip.
Jan 11th, 2004, 03:01 PM

Try to find some two stars in the Latin Quarter. Check Rick Steve's website for specifics.
Jan 11th, 2004, 03:23 PM

We like the 3* du danube ..great location

http://www.hoteldanube.fr/htgb/frameset.htm
Jan 11th, 2004, 03:28 PM

for a unique, but wonderful experince, try the Hotel esmeralda.

Location is great its a top pick, i believe in Fodors

Its charming and unique

If you want more info email me. For a first trip you should try it

Jan 11th, 2004, 08:01 PM

Check out the bonjourparis.com web site; there's a whole long thread on inexpensive Paris hotels.
Jan 12th, 2004, 01:25 AM

Hello!
The Hotel Cardinal Rive Gauche*** is well located in the 5th district (very heart of Paris, in the Latin Quarter). It costs 85 euros for a single room, 99 euros for a double room. They make special offers on their website: http://www.hotelcardinal.com/
The Hotel Saint Dominique also often makes special offers on its website: http://www.saintdominique.com/
I hope I've helped you!!!
Jan 12th, 2004, 01:42 AM

Hotel Axial Beauborg in Marias.

Good website is parishotels.com

have a great trip.
Jan 12th, 2004, 02:07 AM

We liked Hotel Monge in the Latin Quarter. 95 euro per night.
Jan 12th, 2004, 08:47 AM
MAP

Do a search on very good, fabulously located,Grand Hotel des Balcons(6) where they have an excellent, full buffet breakfast, very well-maintained rooms, if a little Spartan, and friendly personnel....price is about $90 euro for 2. Go for dinner on the corner, Chez Maitre Paul. You can't go wrong.
Jan 12th, 2004, 09:58 AM

The Grand Hotel des Balcons gets high marks in posts on the bonjourparis.com site. As for Chez Maître Paul, we had a very nice meal there, especially the chicken breast cooked in vin jaune from the Jura. Yum!
Jan 12th, 2004, 10:25 AM

Underhill, you might want to read the TOS of Fodors about advertising on here. I have noticed that a lot of your posts promote another site, a site where I know you contribute and I presume get paid? If you are not getting paid by Bonjourparis, that is better, but I still think it's very self-serving of you to constantly promote another website where you are listed as staff.
Jan 12th, 2004, 11:06 AM

Christina, it is obvious from your posts that you pride yourself on always being 'correct', but are you sure Underhill works for that particular site? And if so then is he/she also the chef at the restaurant they recommend? Maybe it is advertising, or maybe that site is actually helpful to someone taking his or her first trip to Paris. Maybe we should leave the policing up to Fodors, unless it is BLATANT advertising?
Jan 12th, 2004, 11:29 AM

Fodors has a "no advertising" policy; "blatant" isn't mentioned.
In a sense, we all advertise our favorite restaurants, hotels, etc but if someone is on staff of a venue or website mentioned, it is not the comment of a disinterested consumer.
Bonjourparis used to be a great website which provided free articles and reviews; now it charges for membership.
Not disinterested.
Jan 12th, 2004, 12:57 PM

Underhill posts on other sites, just as I and many others do. underhill also contributes (note the word, contributes) some articles on the Bonjour Paris site with well thought out and well appreciated information about her many travels to France.

This site, Bonjour Paris site, Rick Steves and many others are for passing on information between travelers...why are you here, if that is not so??? I don't know what your problem is for someone passing on great information. I, too have posted on Bonjour Paris for many years,and also enjoy the site...
Jan 12th, 2004, 01:17 PM

My sentiments exactly! We share here, which is the idea I was trying to get across to Christina. I don't think Underhill was "advertising". A blatant advertisement would be: I have a flat at ### Cromwell Road for 250 ponds a week for rent, call me at ### to rent it" - this is not what Underhill was doing. I guess I don't understand why some people get thier bloomers bunched up when someone (repeatedly) recommends an informative site.
Jan 12th, 2004, 01:25 PM

I wouldn't worry about this Christina. We all exchange sites/information etc. I often tell people about Quikbook.com and I am not reaping any rewards from them!

Anyway, let's get back to helping the OP
Jan 12th, 2004, 03:45 PM

Just to clarify: the BP site does NOT charge for membership in the forums or for receipt of the regular newsletter. There is a fee for premium membership, with a different newsletter, but that's it.

And no, Christina, I do NOT get paid by the BP site. Practically no one who works for it does; most of us are volunteers.

I like to share information, and that includes other web sites aimed at people with travel questions. One that comes immediately to mind is TripAdvisor.com, which has a lot of reader comments, just like this site.
Jan 12th, 2004, 03:50 PM

The Hotel Bonaparte is where we stayed on our first trip to Paris, and it's still going strong. The location is quite good: lots of interesting places along the street. The wonderful Restaurant des Beaux Arts, alas, is now out of business; we had a number of excellent, inexpensive meals there, including a dozen escargots each the first time around.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO