Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

First trip to Italy: Mom and 21 yo daughter

Jul 4th, 2007, 12:10 PM
Original Poster

We're planning our first trip to Italy in Jan 2008; 10 day max between the 1st and 15th. Considering flying into Venice (2nights), Florence (3nignts), Rome (3nights), and flying back to the US from Rome. Gate1 offers flight, hotel and train between cities (<$1500pp), but these posts seem to stress the advantages of booking on our own vs a tour company. "Easier is not always better." Any thoughts/opinions are appreciated. These boards have offered a wealth of information, but we'd welcome more specifics (ie. staying in B&B's or apartments vs hotel, restaurants, 'must-see's', etc). My favorites file is growing thanks to these posts!
Jul 4th, 2007, 12:41 PM

We were in Venice in Jan. No one there!! GREAT!! but rainy and rather cold. Certainly damp. Museums are only open part of the day. So do check on all that you want to see and plan carefully as to days and time open. Rome was sunny but not hot in Jan. We thought it was a great time to travel. We are in our 60's and booked our own hotels and transportation. It was easy, and cheaper than taking a tour. We could also spend as much time as we wanted in each place. The last time we went to Itally it was late Nov., we rented a car in Florence and drove to Pompeii. It was an easy drive and very pretty.
Jul 4th, 2007, 12:45 PM

www.lacalcina.com is my hotel recommendation for Venice. it is well priced, beautiful 3-star on the Guidecca shipping canal, easy to get to by vaporetto, close to things but a bit removed so less hectic, very nice breakfast included.

I'm not against an organized tour, but have never taken one so really can't compare. The trip you describe is pretty straight-forward and easy enough to plan on your own.
Jul 4th, 2007, 12:54 PM

Hello Gor, I envy you..your first trip to Italy and with your daughter..perfect!

I have never booked a tour Gor but you could figure out the cost if you plan the trip yourself versus Gate 1. I would check out the hotels that Gate 1 provides as you will want to be in the center of cities and not on the outskirts. If you find that you two want to book your own trip it would not be difficut and travelling by train certainly simplifies things..and the best way to travel between these three fantastic cities! And of course not being with a Tour Group means that you two can do exactly what you want to and when you want to rather than being on a schedule.

Best wishes..have fun preparing for Italy!
Jul 4th, 2007, 01:11 PM

How fun! My 22 year old daughter is my favorite traveling buddy and what a great way to enjoy each other as adults-think sharing wine, shopping and just chatting into the night in the hotel room.
I am not a big tour person so cannot comment on using Gate 1 but I would strongly suggest figuring out what it would cost you individually and compare.You are going to run into some problems I think on January 6th when Orthodox Christmas(? is going on and everything is closed.
My daughter and I have traveled Italy during January and its great without the crowds.
A couple questions though? Is this your first trip overseas or where else have you gone? What sort of things do you like to do in regards to sightseeing,shopping,eating,etc.? Are you historical types? Give us some info and we will try and help you. I have to run to my 4th of July picnic.......
Jul 4th, 2007, 02:03 PM

Hi Gor2 17 I always hated tours, so I am bias, if you go on your own, in Rome I highly recommend the b&b
Arco del Lauro. Doing some homework you can go where you really like, forget being taken by a third party. But you must have a clear idea of what you really like, read and read. Use mappy.com, to see what is the distance let us say between your hotel and different places you wish to visit. One more thing, be alert in Europe there many pickpocketers so carry a belt, situation is worst than ever. Nevertheless you will have a wonderful time. Jan will be cold but you will get the best rates in hotels, so take advantage of that.So I would imagine that you will spend aprox no more than 50 euros per person including breakfast. I might be wrong but I think I shall be guessing right. LEt us see what others have to say.
Jul 4th, 2007, 02:28 PM

Even if the tour was a bit cheaper, I would choose to go one my own. I don't like the entire concept of someone planning then taking me on my trip! Planning, doing what you want, when you want, being self-sufficient, independence, solving new challenges are all important parts that I LOVE about traveling (which you would lose going on a tour).
Jul 4th, 2007, 02:30 PM
Original Poster

Dutyfree,

We are on our way to bar-b-que as well...happy 4th! I have been to London and Paris previously with our 23 yo daughter (2003). Had a fabulous time! I have travelled domestically with my younger girl; she loves architechture, activity, history...is open for just about anything. (I know--kind of suprising). All of your input is much appreciated.