Tours to Italy

Feb 15th, 2007, 05:06 AM
Original Poster

Tours to Italy

My husb and I are planning to trip to Italy in the fall - first time there. Friends have taken the Perillo Tours and gave high marks. My only concern is the amount of free time these tours allow - as well as the bus time traveling to each stop. Has anyone taken this or other tours and can you recommend for us? We'll both be 60 this year (cannot believe it!) and have no trouble walking or taking stairs, etc. Thanks.
Feb 15th, 2007, 05:14 AM

If I were you, I'd skip the tour and do it on your own. Transportation in Italy is good, and I don't think a tour is essential. You'll do a lot of bus riding on any tour, and few have much free time. Plus, you usually get stuck in mediocre restaurants. Having said that, my parents did a bus tour of Italy a few years ago and enjoyed themslves (not Perillo, but equivalent in cost and comfort).

You won't get to as many different places on your own, but your time will be much more enjoyable, and you'll see Italy on your own terms.
Feb 15th, 2007, 06:13 AM

I could not agree more. Husband and I are near your age and are traveling on our own. Planning is at least half the fun and since you have no trouble getting around why not be adventurous and go on your own. It's easier than you think especially with all the great help on this site.
Feb 15th, 2007, 08:51 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for your help. We will probably go for 2 weeks in September. Our itinerary is wide open but we'd like to go to Rome and Venice for sure. Any suggestions would be welcome.
Feb 15th, 2007, 09:14 AM

One suggestion is to book a multi-city (or open jaw) flights so that you arrive in one city but depart from another. For example, I would recommend that you fly into Venice and depart from Rome...then you've got 2 of your "must do" cities taken care of and just need to plan a stop (or more depending on time) in between.
Feb 15th, 2007, 09:20 AM

September is a perfect time to experience Italy - and 2 weeks sounds ideal! You'll love Rome & Venice - would you enjoy a tranquil balance to those two busy places with, perhaps, relaxing time in Tuscany?
Feb 15th, 2007, 10:52 AM
Original Poster

Yes, Tuscany would be a great addition to the trip - just wasn't sure how we would navigate this. So, we would fly into Rome and spend 4 days or so there, then to Tuscany (rental car???)for a few days, and finish up in Venice? Sounds great so far. I'd be happy to hear about your hotel experiences in these places, too. Any recommendations would be appreciated.
Feb 15th, 2007, 11:01 AM

My parents have taken Perillo Tours many times because they didn't feel comfortable making their own arrangements and were afraid of not speaking Italian fluently.
That said, they've skipped the organized tours the last two times and went out on their own as they know their way around now.
They only have high praises for Perillo. To each his own.
Feb 15th, 2007, 11:02 AM

Well, it's better to fly into Venice and out of Rome. There are fewer flights from Venice and they tend to leave very early to make connections.

Yes, a car is the way to see Tuscany. Other parts of Italy to investigate are the lakes in the north at the foot of the Alps, the Ligurian coast (includes the Cinque Terre) and the Amalfi Coast (south of Rome). And Tuscany has various areas: the south, Chianti, Lucca and Pisa, etc.

Get yourselves some guidebooks and look at pictures.
Feb 16th, 2007, 10:33 AM

While a car is the best way to see Tuscany, it's not necessity. You can get to a fair number of places by train or bus from either Rome or Florence. And using public transit is a good alterantive if you don't want to deal with a car ... most (but certainly not all) are going to be manual transmission, so keep that in mind. To get an automatic, you usually have to pay a lot more to get a fancier car than you really need (and you need to arrange that in advance).
Feb 16th, 2007, 03:53 PM

A group of us (7) are going with AirFrance Holidays. The price was really good and I had the cities reversed. I chose Venice, Florence then Rome and there were no problems. The trip includes airfare from Chicago, to Venice, 3 nights, rail to Florence, 3 nights, rail to Rome, 4 nights, then Rome to Chicago. Can't wait..its in March and I am sure it will be delightful. Any vacation is delightful !
A
Feb 18th, 2007, 11:19 AM

You might want to check out Grand Circle Travel(gct.com) We have done a number of trips with them and their other company, Overseas Adventure Travel and always had wonderful trips. Last spring we did their Amalfi Coast and Tuscany trip with the pre-trip extension in Rome. That gave us a week each in Rome, Sorrento (Amalfi Coast), and Montecatini (Tuscany--just a 30 minute train trip to Florence). Their trips have lots of free time if you want it,which we love for exploring on our own. We get the fun of researching and planning and the economy of their buying power for hotels and airfare.