Switzerland wins heart

Sep 15th, 2006, 07:24 AM
Original Poster

Switzerland wins heart

I just got back from my 8 days trip to Switzerland (mostly Berner Oberland). And it was an incredibly wonderful experience. Kudos to all you poster friends (special mention Ingo, Swandav, enzian, Cicerone, Budman, PalQ) for helping me plan such a memorable trip that I will savor forever and keep longing for more.

I will try to post my trip report with pictures asap. Meanwhile just want to say that Switzerland has won in my heart a special place. I have always been an addict to mountain scenery (having most of my cherished childhood memories from living in the Eastern Himalayas). Here are the others (in no particular order) in my list of favorite places I’d have no qualms going back again and again; anybody who gets the ‘mountain calling’ fever should definitely check out these exceptionally beautiful places:
• Darjeeling and Sikkim, Eastern Himalayas, India
• Kashmir and Himachal Pradesh, Western Himalayas, India
• Rocky Mountain N.P., USA
• Banff and Jasper N.P., Canada
• Glacier Bay N.P. and Denali N.P., Alaska, USA
Sep 15th, 2006, 08:30 AM

Welcome to the club of Swiss-o-philes, Kalpana_Kar! I'm glad your trip went well, and I'll look forward to your pictures and report.

Of the other beautiful places you mentioned, I have been to the three in North America, and some other beautiful mountains as well (the Dolomites in Italy, High Sierras in California, Wasatch Mountains of Utah, and Yoho Nat'l Park in Canada). But Switzerland is still my favorite, for its unbeatable combination of gorgeous mountain scenery, kind and welcoming people, charming villages and inns, great food, and a wonderful transportation system that makes it all so easy.

I do hope to be able to visit Darjeeling and Sikkim someday. Friends who have been there say it is lovely too. . . .
Sep 15th, 2006, 09:16 AM

Oh, thanks so much for such warm gratitude! You are so nice!

But of course we're never satisified! I have about 88 days until I leave for my own trip, and I'm hungry, HUNGRY, for a Swiss trip report!! Get to work, LOL!

Anyway -- so happy you had a good time!

s

Sep 16th, 2006, 04:00 AM

88 days, S! I was wondering. You crack me up. Kalpana Kar, it sure would be nice if you could have a chapter or two ready this weekend
J.
Sep 28th, 2006, 08:34 PM
Original Poster

Sorry to keep you waiting. I just posted the first installment of my trip report along with some photos. Hope you enjoy.
Feb 18th, 2007, 11:10 AM

Hi Kalpana;

I saw your trip report and am impressed at the detail of your planning. I would also like to acknowledge that the postings from Ingo, Swandav, enzian, Cicerone, Budman, and Bob Brown have been xtremely helpful.

There are seven of us, (my mother, my wife's parents, us two, and our two kids 9&7) planning a trip for 8 days to Berner Oberland this July, from California . We would like your help in deciding rail vs. car; or even both. Your suggestions would be really helpful as it seems you had some seniors in your party as well.
Also, I think I missed days 6,7,& 8 of you report. Could you please post those again.
Feb 18th, 2007, 11:23 AM

Kpachauri---you might want to start a new thread with your question. As for train v. car, I think it would be hard and expensive to find a car to take seven of you. And a car won't get you up to the Jungfraujoch, or the villages like Wengen, Mürren, and so on. The Swiss travel system is easy to use, and your children will travel free. So I would say train wins.