First timers in Provence

Search

First timers in Provence

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3rd, 2010, 03:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First timers in Provence

2 Adults and 1 child (7yrs) travelling by car from Chammonix to the Provence region. We have 7 days to explore this area and not sure whether to base ourselves in one place such as St Remy and do day trips OR do we just keep on moving and try to find places to stay along the way. Confused!!!!

Any suggestions welcome

D
Old Sep 3rd, 2010, 04:27 AM

I am by no means an expert on Provence as we have only made one trip there for about 10 days. However, I do have some thoughts for your trip.

We stayed for 7 days in one location in Gordes and if I had to do it again I would have chosen 2 locations for that length of time such as St Remy and Gordes so as to explore both of these locations. We found after 3-4 days we could have moved on from Gordes as we had really seen what we wanted by then. These hilltowns are rather small and it doesn't take long to explore them.

If I were travelling with a 7 year old I would try to minimize the number of stops I made, perhaps keep it to 2 locations.

Whatever you decide I hope you have a wonderful trip.
Old Sep 3rd, 2010, 06:17 AM
ira

HI didi,

Provence isn't all that large.
I think that when traveling with young children one ought to make as few changes as possible.

We were very happy at Le Cadran Solaire (www.hotel-en-provence.com/uk/index.php) in Graveson, not ar from St. Remy.

See the Provence part of my trip report:
http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...-in-europe.cfm

Old Sep 3rd, 2010, 06:23 AM

Several days near Gordes and several in St Remy is what I always recommend. Good blend of pretty countryside (Gordes/Luberon) & a medium sized village (St Remy) with lots of shops, cafes, restaurants.

We've vacationed in Provence for 18 months.

Stu Dudley
Old Sep 3rd, 2010, 07:16 AM

For another example, you can see what we did in 10 days on our first time there last year. Just follow the link to the phototravelogue in our trip report at http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...n-provence.cfm
Old Sep 3rd, 2010, 08:16 AM

I've been to Provence several times and on each trip, I stayed in a couple locations, I think that is preferable. I would really not want to stay in the exact same location for a week or more. I usually stay farther apart than Gordes and St Remy, though, but the concept of two places in different areas holds. I don't like either Gordes or St Remy, though, so wouldn't recommend them, but that is the general idea. SOme other people seem to like them, obviously. What if you really don't like the place you picked?

Also, in some of these spots, you have narrow, winding roads, at least no major super highways. Which means you don't want to be too far away from where you are staying when you go out to dinner, as trying to get home in the dark may be a challenge. I would be bored just staying in the same place for one week in these areas and only staying around there for dinner (I never go far for dinner, but may go up to 10 miles).

YOu don't say when you are going, that affects the need for reservations, but I can't imagine going to such a popular tourist destination with a child no less and just driving around hoping to find a place to stay each night.
Old Sep 3rd, 2010, 08:41 AM

We stay near Gordes - not in Gordes. We've stayed in a Gite about 10 mins away for 4 weeks, and at Domaine de l'Enclos on the Route to Senanque - about a 15 min walk from Gordes. There are several hotels on this road. I would not stay IN Gordes.

Stu Dudley