First time visiting italy need sightseeing advice

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16th, 2012, 09:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be going to Rome on a 10 day vacation leaving in 2 weeks. I have never been there and have no idea what to see first. I would like to possibly go to Florence as well. Any help or advice would sure be helpful. Thanks.
Old Jun 16th, 2012, 09:14 AM

Buy any good guide book---I like the Michelin Green book.
Old Jun 16th, 2012, 09:38 AM
Original Poster

Thank you. My family just surprised me with this great vacation this morning. First thing I did was call my sister and she said to post here because she learns a lot of great places to visit from the members.
Old Jun 16th, 2012, 09:58 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
You can easily take the train from Rome to Florence for a day. The fast train takes about 90 minutes and is 43€ one way. You can find some advance purchase disounts on the Trenitalia website. Don't go on a Monday as many things are closed that day. The historic center of Florence is quite compact (about 20-30 minute walk side-to-side) and is a short walk from the station.

With 10 days in Rome, you have time for several day trips. Orvieto is easily reached by train (about 7€ each way) if you want to visit a hill town.
Old Jun 16th, 2012, 10:16 AM

Tips and a link to photos/commentary from our trip last October (first timers):

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...log-photos.cfm

I think Rick Steves is good for first-timers.
Old Jun 16th, 2012, 10:26 AM

visit the trastevere area at night: A buzzing little area full of restaurants and bars and the odd pretty square. I love this little area x
Old Jun 16th, 2012, 10:29 AM

ooh and Campo di Fiori square has a good market in the mornings and is very picturesque

http://www.romeloft.com/rome-best-ar...e-fiori-guide/
Old Jun 16th, 2012, 11:29 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for all your help. I am getting very excited now. 'kybourbon' I didn't realize that Florence was so close, I'm definitely going there now. I appreciate any and all advice on where to go.
Old Jun 16th, 2012, 11:48 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Does your trip include any sightseeing in Rome? Transfers from the airport? Where is your hotel?
Old Jun 16th, 2012, 12:09 PM

Do you have your hotels yet? If you don't have any reserved get on that ASAP as it is high season.
Booking.com is great for letting you know availability right away and also usually free cancellations.Be sure to make sure that your hotel or B and B has A/C at this time of the year as it can be miserable at night without a breeze or A/C.

The closer you booked to the center of Rome the more expensive it is.Piazza Navona,Trastevere,Campo di Fiori and Trevi/Spanish Steps are the biggest tourist areas.

You can get to the main train/bus/metro station in Rome called Termini by using the Leonardo Express into the city from FCO airport for around 11 euros. If there are several of you in a group, you may find it easier and cheaper to use a limousine service instead which is usually between 40-50 euros for 3/4 persons. Taxis from the airport should be no more than 50 euros.
I think that Florence is more than a day trip-at least spending one night would make the trip less hectic. Orvieto is a nice day trip but I would go very early in the day as the whole town is shut from about 1-4 pm so there isn't much to do.
The Rough Guide,Lonely Planet (depending on your age),Rick Steves,Fodors and Frommers are good guidebooks for Rome.
Have you gotten your airfare already as I work for a major US airline and all of the seats especially to Italy have been booked to the rafters for months? I am meeting my daughter in Rome next week and had a hard time last month trying to get a reasonable hotel reservation so I hope everything works out for you.
Let us know what help you need and the Fodorite peeps will help you!
Old Jun 16th, 2012, 12:51 PM

I hope you already have a passport!
Old Jun 16th, 2012, 03:36 PM

Lucky you Jenna1!
I love the Galleria Borghese in Rome, mostly for the beautiful marble sculptures on the first floor. It is in a lovely park so you can enjoy a stroll there afterwards.You need to book tickets in advance which you can do online. I am hopeless at including links but you can Google it.

If you need a great, reasonably priced hotel in Florence try the Hotel David which is across the river from the historical centre but walkable in 20 mins or there is a bus across the street.

Bring really good walking shoes for Rome, the uneven cobblestones will do your feet in if you don't. It is a very walkable city.

What are your interests? Museums, shopping, art, churches, the old Roman ruins?

We did a Context tour of Ancient Rome which was fantastic and another of theirs through the Vatican museums and St.Peter's.

Give us more details of what your interests are, whether you have your hotel, budget etc. and you will get lots of help.
Old Jun 16th, 2012, 04:13 PM

With 10 days you can spend 7 in Rome and 3 in Florence. That way you can take the time to enjoy both cities.

What a lovely gift!