First time to Italy

Search

First time to Italy

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9th, 2013, 12:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First time to Italy

Hi, my family and I (4 adults and 1kid) are visiting italy for one week. From nov-dec. We're starting in Milan. Venice, Florence, Rome then back to Milan. Is it better to get the rail pass or buy point to point tickets? Thank you in advance.
Old Nov 9th, 2013, 12:52 PM

What you want to do isn't possible in the time you have - or, at least if you want to spend significant time sightseeing rather than riding the trains. Since you're starting in Milan, I suggest staying in northern Italy - see Venice and Florence, and that's more than plenty for a week.

That's assuming your week doesn't including flying days. If it does, you only have five days, and in that case, pick one city other than Milan and that's all you have time for.
Old Nov 9th, 2013, 02:03 PM

I agree that you're cramming too much in but with regard to your question about tickets. Generally, tickets for the fast trains can be purchased in advance from around 9euro each. Tickets for regionale trains are easily purchased when you travel from the automated ticket machines or ticket office and are not expensive. I don't know how much the passes are but would be very surprised if they made economic sense for your proposed itinerary.
Old Nov 9th, 2013, 04:20 PM

You mean in three weeks in Nov 2013 or in one year in Nov 2014?
Is Milan a destination or just an airport to you?
Old Nov 9th, 2013, 05:37 PM

Four cities in one week is 2 cities too many. And RT flights in and out of Milan makes no sense - you should buy tickets into your first city and out of your second one to avoid wasting one of your VERY few days returning to Milan.
Old Nov 10th, 2013, 03:53 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for the reply
Old Nov 10th, 2013, 07:13 PM

Even if you were to do this crazy rushed schedule by train, I doubt that a railpass would pay for itself. Italian trains are cheap when compared to other European countries, and you can often find advance fares at a discount. Maybe still now, even though your departure is imminent.

Check the best fares you see on www.trenitalia.com and at its competitor www.italotreno.it/en/Pages/default.aspx, add them up, and compare to the cost of passes that you find, among other places, at www.ricksteves.com

But seriously, if you want to see anything worth seeing of these cities, now that daylight saving is over and the days are so awfully short, you'd better cut back. Rome is the one that's too far off the map, and too big to "do" in a day or two.

Fly into Venice, swing by Florence, end up in Milan where there is the least to see in terms of quick-trip "biggies" - fly home from Milan.

But if you're serious about seeing the treasures that take three days to see, fly into Venice (where the jetlag will wipe out your first and maybe even second day) and home from Florence - that's it.
Old Nov 11th, 2013, 05:18 AM

I can just agree with what was said above. Cut down! Each of these cities has many wonderful sites - you can easily spend your whole trip in only one of them without wasting time. If I had to cut out one of the cities, it would be Milan. It depends on what you like, but Milan is more modern, and not my personal favourite. Also: find out about the high tide in Venice ... do you really want to walk on table tops through Piazza St Marco? I am not sure when that is, or if the whole of Venice is under water, but I would research that if I were you.
Good luck, and enjoy the planning!
Old Nov 14th, 2013, 08:17 AM
Original Poster

thank you very much for the info michelhuebeli and kovsie. I will definitely consider that.
Italy is such a beautiful country with so much to see. Definitely need to plan more time, the next time we're vacationing there or any other place in Europe.
Thanks again everyone.