First Minute train tickets from Prague to Linz

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5th, 2023, 07:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HI I am trying to book train tickets from Prague to Linz on 9 Sept. I can get up prices etc but when I go to reserve seats it says booking period has not yet begun or has expired. I can book tickets if I don't want to reserve a seat. Can anyone help me with this please??
Old Aug 5th, 2023, 11:38 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
which website?
Old Aug 6th, 2023, 12:10 AM
Original Poster

HI ...Ceske drahy ....Homepage | České dráhy (cd.cz)
Czeck train website???

Thanks
Old Aug 6th, 2023, 01:11 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You have the right one
https://www.seat61.com/websites/cd-eshop.htm

it is worth reading the link above as it gives the timings for when bookings are makeable etc, then it explains how to make the ticket and reservation purchase. If that doesn't work I'm lost.

Last edited by bilboburgler; Aug 6th, 2023 at 01:15 AM.
Old Aug 6th, 2023, 10:28 AM

I see what you mean, that is odd. And that isn't all that far away. I would wait at least a few days because possibly they open up the reservation seat numbers 30 days in advance or something. Maybe farther ahead than that, they just want to wait to see how the cars and number of tickets shakes out. I do see that they reserve some seats for people without seat reservations, never seen that. But that sort of implies at least having a reservation for the train is better than nothing. At this point, a lot are free at least on the EC I looked at around 10 am.

Their own website claims you can do it 60 days in advance, I see that. Maybe it's the September thing, a lot of European train companies seem to have trouble with that period as they change schedules often in Sept.

Have you searched info on that train? I think it's because it is international, and the detailed info says part of that route is being replaced by a bus (between Rybnik and Linz). So that may be the issue. It is right now. They also won't show prices on some of the other EC trains that day. I think there may be something funny about that route.

Prague to Linz is not a very direct routing, I don't know if it's changed but it used to be you couldn't even do that without going through Vienna. I don't know what I'd do but the idea of going from train to bus etc wouldn't thrill me. I had to do that once on a Czech train but it was just a day trip so it didn't matter that much although it was confusing as I don't know hardly any Czech. Luckily I know a little and that would have been really confusing if I had not. As I kind of knew enough that the train stopped and we were told to get off the train and wait for a bus which then took us the rest of the way. The staff on that train did not know English at all.

I don't know your itinerary, Linz is kind of out of the way from Prague. I might consider just going to Vienna and staying a day or two and then taking a local Austrian train to Linz. You can book a train from Praha to Wien at 8:45-12:49 or 10:45-14:49, both direct and they assign seats, you can't pick your own These are marked RJ or something which is regiojet? There are trains from Wien to Linz all the time, every 30 to 60 minutes. There ios an ICE at 13:00, a rgx at 13:21 and an EX at 13:27 but you have to book those on the Austrian rail site. The trip is only about 1.5 hrs. RJ trains are a bit slower than the other types. I do not know if you can pick your seat on Austrian rail or not, even if you reserve one.

So going by Wien will be about 6 hrs total. I think the ECC 333 from Prague to LInz is only about 4 hrs total but involves THREE transfers and one is a bus. No way in the world would I personally ever do that (Ceske Budejovice, Rybnik and Pregarten). No only are you always getting off and having to figure out where to find the next train with all your bags, but as I said, the bus one was a bit confusing for me. But on the other hand, I didn't know it was going to happen.
Old Aug 7th, 2023, 01:20 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for your time. I will give it a couple of days to see if I can book then. At least now I know it is not just me!!!