Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

First day in Venice -25th Wedding Anniversary-how would you spend the day?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19th, 2003, 09:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When we wake up on our first day in Venice (late May) we will be 25 years married. How should we spend the day and where should we dine in the evening?
Old Nov 19th, 2003, 10:17 AM

I would start the day by getting up very early (which you probably will anyway)to get out before breakfast and walk along the water before anyone else is up. It's magical. But then again, Venice is magical. Also, in addition to the regular things like Murano, Burano and museums and churches, take a map and "get lost" through the calli (alleys) of Venice. Away from the tourists, etc. Absorb the incredible ambiance. Vist little cafes and shops away from it all. I can't get enough.
Old Nov 19th, 2003, 10:53 AM

This might be cliche - but how about a gondola ride at sunset?
Old Nov 19th, 2003, 10:58 AM

How about staying in bed and repeating your honeymoon night?
Old Nov 19th, 2003, 11:27 AM

I'd wake up early and even before breakfast, assuming you are centrally-located, go and look at Saint Mark's Piazza before the crowds hit. Even better if there's a slight morning fog.
You will never forget your first sight of it, I believe.

Later that day, have an overpriced drink or dessert in one of the cafes situated under the arcades of the Piazza. If you are there in good weather, bands may be playing outside.
There's not much point, imo,in sitting inside.
You won't forget that hour spent there, either.
Old Nov 19th, 2003, 11:31 AM

as suggested, get up early before the crowds arrive, when they do arrive go back to your room for a mid day "nap" (have the hotel bring some champagne to your room). Later in the day stray off the beaten path , hand in hand through the alleys ......and then a gondala ride at sunset
Old Nov 19th, 2003, 11:38 AM

Congratulations.
1. Gondola ride. It has to be done.
2. Get lost, walking arm-in-arm, off the beaten path.
3. Romantic candlelit dinner at a small, not-too-fancy trattoria (search this site for faves; I'll say Sempione)
4. Coffee & dessert at one of the cafes on the piazza San Marco. Hideously expensive, but a one-in-a-lifetime moment.
5. Duck into one of the gorgeous smaller churches (there are dozens), walk up to the altar, and pledge your eternal love to each other once again.
Old Nov 19th, 2003, 01:20 PM

So many good ideas. I will suggest a small, charming restaurant with excellent food - Alle Testiere.
Old Nov 19th, 2003, 01:43 PM
Original Poster

Gosh, everyone, I'm there already with all these great suggestions!!
Old Nov 19th, 2003, 02:36 PM

If the weather is good... definitely the San Marco Piazza after you've had dinner. No matter what it costs... a sambucca (or two) under the stars with the orchestras playing is something to remember.
Old Nov 19th, 2003, 02:43 PM
ira

Hi eilis,

I shall skip how to spend the day of you anniversary - you are not that old.

We greatly enjoyed dinner under tha stars along the canal at Cantinone Storico 041.523.95.77

From your hotel go to the Accademia Bridge. Walk away from the canal toward the Accademia. Bear left. Make first left. Go over the bridge to San Vio. Restaurant is on the right, on the canal.

See my trip report http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34451044
Old Nov 19th, 2003, 02:44 PM

You gotta do a gondola ride. Don't let anyone tell you not to.

Drinks in the evening in Saint Mark's square.
Old Nov 19th, 2003, 03:13 PM

When you hire the gondola, stay off the Grand Canal--it's too busy, too choppy, too big. Get him to take you on the smaller canals.

Also, don't go at low tide (you'll be looking at barnacles and seaweed and craining your necks to look up) or high tide (difficult to get under some bridges on the smaller canals).

It's also a kick to make love while looking out your hotel room window overlooking the Grand Canal.
Old Nov 19th, 2003, 10:47 PM

This is a tough one because I could think of many ways to celebrate, depending on how much moolah you'd like to blow. Here's a high/moderate-priced sampling:

I'd begin the day by having breakfast at La Boutique del Dolce in San Polo, one of my favorite caffes in Venice (no glitz). Then, after a short stroll through historic San Polo, I'd hop a boat and visit Burano because there's nothing quite like Burano in late May. After you've explored the entire island, hop into Gatto Nero for a light lunch. Boat back to the Rialto and walk to Ponte S.S. Apostoli (next to Al Vagon Ristorante) and hire Mario for a late afternoon gondola ride. (You can't miss Mario because he's drop-dead gorgeous.) Be sure and tell him the occasion and he'll keep you off the G. Canal. Go back to your residence and relax. Get dressed for dinner and take the Cipriani Launch to the Cipriani Hotel and have two Bellinis each in their garden. Take the vaporetto across the Giudecca and have dinner outdoor at Ristorante Riviera. Be sure and tell Luca it's your 25th anniversary. Then stroll back home and plop into bed. Save sex and the rest of Venice for the following morning.
Old Nov 20th, 2003, 09:17 AM

Here's a unique, but memorable, activity for an hour, if you have the bucks. I never heard of anyone doing this, but, pondering your question, it has occurred to me: Hire a private water taxi (most are elegant, polished mahagony wood speed boats, pretty cool) and, separately, a private tour guide to accompany you, for an hour boat ride during the day, perhaps in the morning, through the entire Grand Canal, as well as picturesque smaller canals, with the tour guide explaining the major sights along the way. Most people don't get to see Venice this way, from its best perspective, and in the luxurious comfort and privacy of your own boat. Neither the water bus vaporetti, nor even the gondola, would be as special as a private tour like this. If you can afford to splurge, it will be unforgettable. Of course, do the gondola as well, in the evening, after dinner. The latter should be a romantic evening ride, not sight seeing. I think if you start your day with the water taxi tour and end it with the gondola ride, it would be a perfect way to begin and end this special day.
Old Nov 21st, 2003, 02:23 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for all the wonderful suggestions. I will have fun over the next few months investigating (and saving up for!) lots of the great ideas put forward.
Old Nov 21st, 2003, 06:04 AM

mr_go: I loved that #5 suggestion about re-affirming their vows.
Old Nov 21st, 2003, 06:55 AM

Saint Mark's Square by moonlight with the violins playing and the church all lit up is THE most romantic spot in the world, at least that I have seen.