Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Is Venice possible from Bergamo for the day?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4th, 2005, 02:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be in Bergamo for 3 days before going to Florence- first time in Italy and don't want to miss a chance to see Venice-but is it possible and worth it for a day trip. I would be solo and would love a few ideas of what you experts enjoyed when there
Thanks so much
Jaxman
Old Jan 4th, 2005, 03:13 PM
rex

Sure it is. Unfortunately, a &quot;day trip&quot; to Venice inevitably misses what I consider the two best hours of the day: the last hour before you go to bed, and the first hour <i><b>right after</b></i> you wake up (don't stop for coffee, don't bother to get cleaned up for the day - - just get out there and watch &quot;La Serenissima&quot; come to life in the morning - - bellissima!)

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Jan 4th, 2005, 03:25 PM

I think that Venice is one of the worst possible destinations for a day trip. The way the city is laid out, the daytripping herd is funneled along the Grand Canal to the most famous sights. So along this path are the worst restaurants, most crummy souvenir shops, and the most agressive street vendors in the city--you get to see the worst of the city amid a horde of other one-day visitors throwing their water bottles and other trash along the way.

The herd thunders in mid-morning; mills around P. San Marco and the Rialto areas for a while, and then thunders out on the same path in mid to late afternoon.

Unless you want to forego the best sights, or unless you are traveling in January or February (excluding Carnevale) when the daytrip herd is much smaller, I wouldn't waste a day.
Old Jan 4th, 2005, 03:35 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the immediate response -this would be in February last week of to be exact- so its not worth it just to wander around? Maybe have lunch -take some pictures? Any other suggestions to take a train to or maybe a tour?
jaxman
Old Jan 4th, 2005, 03:48 PM

I have never done Venice as a day trip and I agree that the BEST times in Venice are evening and early morning. HOWEVER - even part of a day in Venice would still be worth it to me. If that's all you've got, take it. As you said - wander around, have lunch, take some pictures. Right there that's the best thing to do in Venice, IMO. If you wanted to tour the Doges Palace, the Basilica, the museums, etc then sure, you'd be pressed to do so in only one partial day. But I still say go, and just experience Venice for a few hours. It will be great.

I would get on a vaparetto in front of the train station and take it to St Marks. You'll see the grand canal. Then you'll see the Piazza and San Marco. Then wander back to the train station, getting lost and just enjoying the city.
Old Jan 4th, 2005, 07:06 PM
rex

I am more with isabel than Rufus. Day tripping with a group leads to the herding phenomena. On your own, just pick out some specific destinations - - like Salute or Guggenheim. And I see no reason you cant do the full Doges Palace tour.

There is indeed, &quot;bad value&quot; food (lwer quality, higher priced than it should be) - - because there are willing suckers. Read up here (and ideally get <i><b>current</b></i> info on what places are doing a good job. I have previously posted on a couple of places - - http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...mp;tid=1297424 - - but these are not at all current recommendations. Maybe others have comments.
Old Jan 4th, 2005, 07:08 PM

As I said--except January and February. Go for it.