Lazy first afternoon in Venice

Old Mar 4th, 2004, 09:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lazy first afternoon in Venice

My fianceé and I will arrive on our Italian honeymoon into Venice. Joyfully, our flight is scheduled to arrive at 9:35 a.m., which gives us quite a bit of the day in Venice which we had not expected. Even figuring that it could take awhile to get our luggage and then get to the hotel via the Alilaguna and get checked in, we should still have basically the whole afternoon.

Would this be a reasonable thing to do? Take the vaporetto to the island of Torcello, meander, and have lunch at Locanda Cipriani? Then get back on the vaporetto and stop on Murano and/or Burano as time permits. I'd prefer a very leisurely day where we aren't trying to go ahead and see touristy sites, while we are adjusting to the time change/jet lag. Then we could come back to the hotel, rest a bit (or not) and then visit Piazza San Marco for the first time at night.

Comments? Suggestions? Alternatives?
Old Mar 4th, 2004, 10:05 AM

Seems to me you are not doing the "lazy" thing by getting on and off the vaporettos. I would head to the hotel, unpack, shower and then just meander around Venice. That way if you do get tired and want a short nap, it is easy to get back to the hotel.

I would save the Murano trip for day after you get some sleep. Just an opinion. In Venice it is hard to go wrong on any selection.
Old Mar 4th, 2004, 11:09 AM

Easy question to answer: Simply stroll casually along the small canals and narrow streets and get lost! Of course, that's the best thing to do anytime during your stay in Venice.
Old Mar 4th, 2004, 11:20 AM
ira

Hi Jun,

I agree that your first day should be in the city.

Why not take the vaporetto up the Grand Canal to the train station or the Rialto Bridge and slowly walk back to your hotel?
Old Mar 4th, 2004, 04:11 PM

I agree with the others..stay in the city. I get in around 10 first day (a few hours before the rest of my group). I'm figuring on finding the apt, settling in, buying a few things we'll need for breakfast, etc, so that the "chores" are done when everyone else gets in around 2-3. Then we'll all take it easy, walking around and finding important things like gelato stands

Turn into major tourists the next morning

Enjoy your trip!

Anne
Old Mar 5th, 2004, 09:01 AM
Original Poster

Thank you once again, Fodorites. I will yield to your expert opinions!
I think we shall spend our afternoon just wandering, doing some shopping, and getting lost and finding our way back to the hotel, then having a romantic dinner to celebrate our first evening in Italy. Thanks so much for steering me to a more pleasant way to spend our first hours.
Old Mar 5th, 2004, 11:34 AM

Congrats on picking such a wonderful city for your honeymoon. I agree with the other posts - I'd take it easy that first day if I were you. Taking a nap might seem like wasting time, but you'll enjoy yourself better, later on, if you start your trip rested. My husband and I did exactly that in January.

Our photos are here, if you're interested:
http://www.dotphoto.com/GuestViewAlbum.asp?AID=1385748