Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

First Cut Itinerary - Looking for Suggestions

Old Mar 22nd, 2007, 01:40 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have 23 days planned for Spain (and possibly Portugal in September. This will be my first visit to Spain. Currently plan to do all by train/bus.

1 - Madrid - Hostal Europa
2 - Madrid
3 - Madrid with Side trip to Segovia (Bus)
4 - Toledo by day, night in Cordoba (AVE)
[Will it be a problem to not book time for the Toledo-Madrid Madrid-Cordoba link to allow time flexbility]
5 - Cordoba by Day (night maybe Seville)
6 - Seville (AVE)
7 - Seville
8 - Seville
9 - Seville / Jerez (train)
10 - Jerez
11 - Arcos / Ronda (bus)
12 - Ronda (do the caves - how difficult would it be to do this by Taxi, seems like schedules are not really set) train to Granada
13 - Granada
14 - 19 ???? Still Open
My current thoughts are Lisbon/Porto, San Sebastian, or Valencia (if Valencia I would probably add another day to Granada)
20 Barcelona [Hostal Goya]
21 Cadaques or Girona as a day trip
22 Barcelona
23 Barcelona

Any suggestions on where to may longer or shorter stays?
I am mid-40s, plan to try spend a moderate amount on hotels to spend more on some splurge meals and sightseeing.

For the free days - originally I was planning Valencia but it seems like travel is not that easy betweeen Granada/Valencia/Barcelona so I am opening the search back up. I am leaning towards Portugal or maybe San Sebastian.

For interests: art, architecture, some gourmet dining with local low key dining mixed in.

If it turns out flying out of Seville is much easier I may reverse the whole Cordoba-Seville..Granada to be
Cordoba-Granada..Seville.

I think I got the order of the towns right to minimize travel but would love tips on this.

Old Mar 22nd, 2007, 02:38 PM
ComfyShoes

majmaj4, do a history search on my ID and you should find a thread with a similar itinerary (less Barcelona.... lucky you!). Also visit http://www.soultravelers3.com/blog/Archive.html.

Old Mar 22nd, 2007, 02:58 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, I have read your post. It was very helpful.
Old Mar 22nd, 2007, 09:04 PM

majimaj,
We did a similar trip--even stayed at Hostal Europa (which we would not do again). Overall, your plan looks good, however I think you should leave Portugal for another trip--it's the opposite direction from Barcelona. I've heard good thngs about Valencia, though haven't been there, and San Sebastian would also be out of the way for this trip.

We're going to Barcelona again in a few weeks and I can tell you that Cadaques is too far for a daytrip, Girona would be fine (and I hear is very nice--will report back).

We went to the caves in Ronda, but had a car, but if I recall correctly, they were not very far from town, so going by taxi might not be a problem. (Getting back to town might be another issue though). Maybe others can help you here or you can rent a car for a day?
Old Mar 22nd, 2007, 09:48 PM

The only thing I would say is that sevilla can be done in 3 or even 2 days. I think that Granada is worth 2. one day for alhambra and another for around the city. It's my favourite for the south of spain. Stay in a hotel near the plaza nueva and you can get your own room for 20 euros. very cheap.

Good Luck

Theresa

www.nomadwannabe.com
Old Mar 23rd, 2007, 04:32 AM

Although I understand the impulse to see as many different places as you can, I think you're visiting too many places. Rather than adding Portugal, San Sebastian or Valencia to your trip, I think you should reallocate those days to the other major destinations in your schedule (e.g. Granada, Barcelona, Seville, Madrid).

You might also consider flying between some of your destinations. You can buy cheap one-way tickets once you get to Spain.

I think it will be difficult to get to Cadaques via train or bus (not impossible, just not easy). Girona would be more straightforward, since some discount airlines fly to Girona and then people take the bus to Barcelona.

Cadaques is worth the visit, though but you should stay there at least overnight (if not two nights). We stayed at the Rocamar Hotel on our honeymoon and loved it. It's a pleasant 10 minute walk from the city centre, on a low cliff overlooking the ocean. Splurge a little for an ocean view room.

I liked the Hotel Astoria (about 110 euros, last time I was there) in the Eixemple District of Barcelona. It felt safer than staying in the old quarter, but was just adjacent to it and so easy to see the sights.

In Madrid, I've stayed several times at the H10 Villa de la Reina (also about 110 euros). It's quite central.

Since you're spending a fairly long time in Spain and travelling alone, have you considered spending a week at a language school in one of the cities you'll be visiting? It's a great way to meet people, learn something about the culture, and provide some structure to your day. The schools often organise activities (sightseeing, cooking lessons, movie nights, etc). Although a lot of students are in their early 20s, there are older students (like me, early 40s) at the schools. I've taken courses with Don Quijote in Madrid and Barcelona and with Mester in Salamanca.
Old Mar 23rd, 2007, 07:18 AM
Original Poster

What is the quickest way to get from Granada to Valencia?

I am planning to fly the Ganada - ?? - Barcelona link.

Artlover - what about Hotel Europa did you not like?

Is Cadaques worth the extra travel time vs going to Girona?

Thanks for the advise.

Old Mar 23rd, 2007, 07:26 AM

Gilbraltar, not far from your stops, was to me one of the most unique and interesting backwaters i've ever seen.

Could even day trip to Morocco from nearby Algerciras
Old Mar 28th, 2007, 01:29 PM

I would def. not do Portugal on this trip, and you have way too many days in Seville. Also, if going in the summer, consider a stop in Marbella..a very pretty beach town. And as someone mentioned, Gibraltar is a MUST..with the caves and the monkeys, you can't go wrong. I feel like Granada and Cordoba can be done in a day trip. I would probably stay in Marbella, and do day trips to Cordoba, Granada and Gibraltar.
If you want to save time, go the route around Spain:
Barcelona 4 days-Valencia 2 days-Marbella 5 days (Granada, Cordoba, Gibraltar)-Seville 2 days-Madrid 3 days (day trip to Toledo)-San Sebastian 3 days. You can catch a cheap flight back to Barcelona. If you have any days left, definitely stay in Barcelona...it's my favorite city in the world!
Hope I was helpful.
Sergey
Old Mar 28th, 2007, 04:11 PM

Second pippy4tao's opinion on less time in Seville and two days for Granada. Also palenQ is right about Gibraltar and Morocco. Both are different and interesting and so close to where you will be already.
Old Mar 28th, 2007, 05:35 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for the additional feedback. I had also come to the conclusion to cut a day out of seville, so I am glad you confirmed that decision. I will try to add one to granada.

I had sort of discounted Gibraltar, after 2 suggestions for that I will reread and see about adding in.
Old Mar 28th, 2007, 06:21 PM

I would trim a a day or two from spain and visit port. it's great- friendly- inexpensive, great seafood, etc. You could lose a night each in madrid and barcelona, and even sevilla.