2-Week itinerary in Spain

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5th, 2006, 09:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I will be in Spain from the 16 of Sept. to the 30th. I am putting together an itinerary for all of us. So far I just have the first couple of days booked in terms of hotels and such. What I am asking about is do I really need to make bookings for air tix for the rest of our trip;i.e. Betw. Mallorca and Svilla or Granada? I was originally planning on us flying one way into Sevilla, but somebody suggestedd me flying into Granada instead ( I do not know why) My plan is to rent a car in Sevilla and drive us around Andalucia to Cordoba and Granada then back to Sevilla teo either catch a plane or train back to Barcelona where we fly back to the states. Is this a feasible itinerary for two weeks? --Dave
Old Aug 6th, 2006, 08:18 AM

The itinerary is for this September? 5 weeks from now?
Old Aug 6th, 2006, 09:17 AM
Original Poster

Yes, Robert. The itinerary is fopr September, 5-weeks from now. I am trying to get some good feadback on making an itinerary. I.E. Granada of Sevilla as a base for exploring Andalucia. Which would be better and why? I was originally planning on Sevilla as a base. To rent a car there and such. But if someone can talk me out of this and give me good reason to change from this thought then so be it.
Old Aug 6th, 2006, 04:20 PM

I am confused how Mallorca fits into this trip.

I don't know why it would be better to fly into Seville than Granada, but I know it is a pain in the neck to have a car in Granada. (Good luck finding the garage.)

While you are in Seville, you may want to explore Ronda and Arcos. There are many other places of interest nearby, including Jerez.

Considering you only have two week, I would definitely fly to Barcelona.

We have had good experience booking cars through Auto Europe.
Old Aug 6th, 2006, 05:24 PM

It is a pain in the neck to have a car in Sevilla too.

If you want cheap air fares on Iberia, you need to book them over the internet, which is hard to do once you are in Spain.

Are your flying into Barcelona or Madrid? Either way, I suggest you do 4 or 5 days touring wherever you land, then catch a plane to Granada -- where the Alhambra is an incredible sight to be seen. After 2 or 3 nights there, rent a car in Granada and drive through small towns of Andalucia on your way to Sevilla. Drop off your car in Sevilla. Enjoy the town for the remainder of your trip and include a day trip to Cordoba by train.

Fly to Barcelona for your return trip home. If you want to stay near the Barcelona airport, you can have a very good stay at the Tryp Barcelona, booked through Bookings.es

Old Aug 14th, 2006, 08:11 AM

I think the previous reply has very good suggestions. We're taking a 16 day trip and flying in and out of Malaga through Madrid. Going to Nerja on the Costa del Sol to recuperate from pre-trip and then to Granada, Cordoba and Seville by bus. After Seville renting a car for four days and driving to the White Hill towns area, staying in Arcos and Rhonda. Plan to sight see and relax before returning home. We're renting our car from Auto Europe. Unless you plan to go outside the cities it is a problem to have a car in them as driving is not an option and you pay to park it.
Hope you have a great time and post atrip report as we don't leave until the 26th.
We used Rick Steves Spain in our planning if you havn't looked at it I recommend it as it is oriented to the basics and has a lot of info about traveling from place to place.
Marian
Old Aug 14th, 2006, 08:21 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Have you booked a hotel in Granada yet? IF not, you could try the Hotel Guadelope up by the Alhambra. We paid E60 for a huge room with bathroom and breakfast in November last year, and the restaurant was very nice.
You can use the huge car-park just above the alhambra, and it is very convenient for the alhambra which is just across the road. THere is a bus down into the town [and more importantly back up again] which runs every 5-10 minutes until midnight.
As the alhambra is what you go to Granada for, this seems the best option.
Make sure you books tickets in advance for both the day and night trips.
Have a great time.
Old Aug 14th, 2006, 08:24 AM

Why don't you fly into Seville and out of Barcelona? That way, you can explore Seville for a few days, do some day trips (Cordoba, Cadiz), go to Granada, then head up to Barcelona.

We did the opposite last year for our honeymoon (landed in Barcelona, then went down to Granada and Seville). It's a bit of driving, especially between Barcelona and Granada (we stopped in Morella oin between), but you'd be free to stop where you want. You could also look at buses. If you do have a car, find a hotel that offers parking. You <b>do not</b> want a car in any of the big cities.