Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Finding Wheelchair-Friendly Accomodations in Paris

Old Apr 17th, 2002, 08:07 PM
Barb

I need help deciding where to say in Paris that will be wheelchair friendly. Any suggestions on websites for accessible hotels? I started looking at one regular site, and it was awkward to find out if they had accessible rooms. We will be in Paris June 16-20th, and are looking for a room priced under $150, accessible, and fairly near some of the major sites. I stayed in the 6th 2 years ago, near Metro St. Germain des Pres, and loved it, but this trip is with my brother who is in a wheelchair. We will have a car. Thanks, Barb

Old Apr 18th, 2002, 06:52 PM
Barb

How about suggestions for guidebooks or websites?

Old Apr 18th, 2002, 07:04 PM
xxx

Try Michelin's Guide Rouge.

Old Apr 18th, 2002, 07:34 PM
Sherry

This is a place for you to start. If you pull up Orbitz and put in Paris, France as your destination for your hotel, it will allow you to check a box to pick your own amenities. Then a page will come up that you can check, among other things, handicapped. Then it will bring up hotels in Paris with the handicapped logo.
At least you can narrow your choices and maybe find something.
Hope this helps.

Old Apr 19th, 2002, 11:53 AM
Christina

I'm not sure about web sites with that info. I have read that the Mercure Eiffel Suffren on rue Jean Rey, 15e (just south of Eiffel Tower near Bir Hakeim metro) has some adapted rooms, not just accessible (meaning even roll-in showers). It is 3 star perhaps, a larger modern hotel and maybe not so exciting but a possibility for facilities.

My best suggestions are for other sources. http://wwhanditel.jouve.fr is a Paris-specific web site by a local handicap organization (that is the word they seem to use most in Paris) with various links and transportation info. Also, the Paris tourist Office has publications and info on this. If you go to www.paris-touristoffice.com, then "Organize your stay", then "Practical Paris", then choose "disabled" in the pulldown box. They have a hotel guide with indications of accessibility, it's online. Of course, you'd still have to followup to check, but many Mercures are marked as "disabled standards of accessibility" or something like that. I read somewhere else that Mercure had the roll-in showers. I have no reason to push it, but it also has private hotel parking, which is going to be difficult to find in Paris. Some of these newer, larger hotels are better on the disabled accessibility than others.

Old Apr 19th, 2002, 03:13 PM
Barb

Thanks Sherry and Christina for some great help; I especially was glad to see the hint about parking. Any other guidebook suggestions for handicapped access in Paris will be appreciated; you don't realize how hard this info can be to find, when you've always searched for non-accessible info.

Old Apr 19th, 2002, 04:44 PM
StCirq

There is an organization in the USA, with headquarters in NYC, I believe, called Mobility International USA, that provides information on accessible accommodations and other such things. I have no personal experience with this, but have read about it. In France, Les Editions La Route Robert publishes a book called Guide Rousseau H commes Handicapés. Perhaps you could find it on Amazon in France or through the French embassy. The Comité National Français pour la Liaison pour la Réadaption des Handicapés (CNFLRH) also publishes a book called Touristes Quand Mêmes (Tourists Nonetheless), which details the services for handicapped people in main towns throughout the country. You can pick one up at the Paris Convention and Visitors Bureau Headquarters or perhaps, again, the French embassy or French Tourist Office here in the USA could get hold of one for you.