Finally Le Marche 2025

Old Jun 3rd, 2024, 11:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts
Finally Le Marche 2025

We have four nights and three days in Le Marche in 2025. bvlenci, please don't pass out when you see my first itinerary plans. First of all, you will all tell me not to drive the 2 hours straight from the Bologna airport to Urbino on our first day, but that might be the plan. We would stop in Gradara before hitting Urbino.

I know Urbino is not the prefect spot to base ourselves for Le Marche, but it is what it is for this trip. I have three itineraries, and I know we can't do all of this, but i'd like to get your opinion on my plan. Don't worry, I can take it.

Itinerary 1:Check out Urbino then drive:
Sant’Angelo in Vado
Cascata del Sasso
Urbania
Urbino

Itinerary 2:
Urbino
Marmitte dei Gigante
Fossombrone
Corinaldo
Senigallia
Maybe Ancona
Montemaggiore al Metauro
Urbino

Itinerary 3:
Urbino
Furlo Pass
Grotte di Frasassi
San Vittore alle Chiuse
Frontone
Cagli
Acqualagna
Urbino

(It's possible we'd go to the towns in order north to south, hit the caves last, and stay near there to cut our drive shorter to Rome the following day) ...Thoughts? (gulp) I probably should not be planning three future European trips at the same time at my age

And does anyone have a hotel or b&b suggestion in Urbino? Grazie!
Old Jun 3rd, 2024, 12:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Are you saying this is what you plan do to as day trips each day? If so, it's too much. What do you plan to do in each spot? bvlenci will of course have focused info (that's not my specialty).

Just FYI, Urbino itself needs at least half a day if not a full day. Some of these places are just a vibe. And the some things in smaller towns will be shut up tight in the afternoons.

I stayed in a serviceable hotel in Urbino. Lovely people, not fancy/elegant though, but comfortable, good AC and wifi. Centrally located. I didn't find parking difficult (parked in a lot outside the ZTL and hoofed it to the hotel).

Albergo Italia Urbino

Old Jun 3rd, 2024, 05:23 PM

I should add, as a solo traveler I think I booked the cheapest class of room--there are probably better in the hotel, but I was pleased and enjoyed the view. There is a little garden terrace for breakfast. I never took a photo of that, though.

We used the Blue Guide as well as the Michelin Green Guide for Le Marche. [at least according to my bookshelf and what's still sitting on a shelf]

Last edited by Leely2; Jun 3rd, 2024 at 05:33 PM.
Old Jun 4th, 2024, 08:09 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Leely, In doing more research, there are so many places we'd like to see in La Marche, we will probably save that for a trip on its own. I better stay alive for at least another eight years.
Old Jun 4th, 2024, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by maitaitom
Thanks Leely, In doing more research, there are so many places we'd like to see in La Marche, we will probably save that for a trip on its own. I better stay alive for at least another eight years.
You can make it! My first trip to Le Marche was with friends/family, we based in Ascoli Piceno. I had such a great time that I returned to spend time in the northern part, basing in Senigallia and Urbino. No bad choices.

Where are you arriving from?
Old Jun 4th, 2024, 09:15 AM

Received 28 Likes on 4 Posts
Tom, we visited in 2018 and theres a lot of helpful input on our planning thread, with a short trip summary at the end
Visiting Le Marche and Umbria
bvlenci is the expert and will have a better view on your proposed itineraries but theres a lot that you're excluding. Urbino is a delight - we stayed in a very comfortable studio offered by B&B Albornoz and found free parking just outside the ztl.

ps-we just got back from Piedmont, thanks for your help! I'm contemplating a detailed TR.

Old Jun 25th, 2024, 10:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Mai Tai- I am following along on your Italy 2025 travel planning. We have loved reading your past trip reports! Took your advice on many different stays in France. My husband and I are currently planning an Italy 2025 trip- starting in Florence ( my husband’s choice &#128543 and probably flying home from Milan. If you ever get down Laguna Beach way we would love to take you and Tracy to lunch!

From my recent trip to Portugal with my “varsity” sister

Our trip to Italy is celebrating 40 year anniversary.
Old Jun 25th, 2024, 02:59 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
uppsala30 Congrats! My husband and I will also be celebrating our 40th in 2025! Thank you for reminding me that I better start planning for that NOW! Tom's in Pasadena, you're in Laguna Beach, I'm happy to host here in the middle (WLA)!
Old Jun 25th, 2024, 03:09 PM

Surfer girl, Oh gosh that is so kind of you. FYI - we don’t look quite the same after 40 years😂. Not sure who those young kids are.
Old Jun 25th, 2024, 03:11 PM
Original Poster

Let's do it sometime. By the way, I changed the beginning of the trip next year. We're starting in Parma with a bunch of day trips. If I live long enough, I will get to Le Marche.

Last edited by maitaitom; Jun 25th, 2024 at 03:26 PM.
Old Jun 26th, 2024, 07:36 PM

Tom, you and I have much in common, the 'trying to plan itineraries that are manageable at our age' and all that. We too are looking into spring in le Marche.
Our recent Tropea landlady's relatives own a winery with nice rental lodgings near Morro d'Alba, so we are looking into that as a halfway point between stays at Urbino and Ascoli Piceno (cue Mrs Z bashing husband over head repeatedly with purse after discovering his over-ambitious routing).
Uppsala, our 30th is around Xmas and we are flipping coins tryna choose a destination.
Good luck to all in finalizing plans.

I am done. the surname that is extremely close to le Marche