Final pick - 3 Rome hotels

Old Mar 29th, 2005, 11:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Final pick - 3 Rome hotels

Yikes...I never imagined that I would spend 30+ hours researching hotels in Rome!
Down to 3 - please provide me with your comments, suggestions, etc.

Lancelot
Giardino
Nicolas Inn
Old Mar 29th, 2005, 11:47 AM

I have been in Rome many times - but I am not familiar with these hotels. Let us know what you are looking for, that is what is more important? Location, price, amenities? Then we might be able to add comments. I have a great B&B suggestion - we stayed there last summer. It is in a residential section and you have to take trams or buses to get around but you get the feel of living in "Rome" - we speak Italian so that is quite helpful when you are imbedded in a neighborhood, and are comfortable with jumping on trams etc. If you don't speak Italian and/or prefer a more touristy spot, I'd go for a strictly tourist hotel. In touristy parts most people speak some or much english, but in the little neighborhoods it will be less common. Let me know what you are looking for and I'll try to help.
Old Mar 29th, 2005, 11:47 AM

Mishka, forgot to add if you want specific reviews, of these properties, try www.epinions.com or www.virtualtourist.com That will be quite helpful. Especially if they are smaller, less know properties
Old Mar 29th, 2005, 11:55 AM
Original Poster

Wanderlust -- thanks for your quick reply. We have never been to Europe...in fact, my husband has never left Canada so this will be a big trip. I am French, however not Italian. The key things are cleanliness, location (I don't like touristy places), and large bathrooms. Don't ask...my husband has relationships with those rooms (hehe).
Thanks
Old Mar 29th, 2005, 12:01 PM

there is information on the Lancelot on your other thread:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34593345
Old Mar 29th, 2005, 12:02 PM

Hilarious reply! Loved it. We stayed at Casa Della Palma. web site:
http://www.casadellapalma.it/
You can look at all the rooms. I think you will do fine in Italy, and most Italians speak french! Je parle francais aussi! It was a great place, with a really large, luxurious bath in our room, and a refrigerator. We bought groceries at the mercato across the street and had little picnics in our room sometimes. The room we stayed in was the "Living Room Plus" on the first floor, french doors on to the courtyard. I hope this helps!
Old Mar 29th, 2005, 12:10 PM

I have had good feedback from clients on Nicolas Inn.
Old Mar 29th, 2005, 12:17 PM
Original Poster

Wanderlust5 - wow, I just went to the website and already put a request in. Thanks.
How much do the trams cost? Do you buy passes?
Old Mar 29th, 2005, 12:27 PM

The trams are not expensive. The tickets we bought were for 5 trips I believe, but you can buy individual tickets Or a one-day pass. The tickets are good for 70 minutes. They work on the buses too. Just remember - important - that the trams and buses have these little validation machines. You have to put your ticket in and validate as soon as you get on. From the casa della palma, you walk a little less than half a block to both a tram pick up and a bus pick up. it's very easy to get around. And fun. Very fast too, often faster than taxi's. I don't know the current cost of the tram tickets, but you can figure it out easily enough, just go to this site:
http://www.ehow.com/how_8804_around-rome-cheap.html