Ferry from Rhodes to Crete??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9th, 2011, 05:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have been searching and searching. I've sent an e-mail to L.A.N.E. as it looks like they may have a ferry from Rhodes to Sitia continuing on to Agios Nikolaos that leaves at 4:30 am on Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Saturday but I'm not 100% sure of this. I think ANEK may also have a ferry that departs Rhodes on Tuesdays 19:30 pm, arriving in Sitia on Wednesdays 4:45 am for 98 euros for 2 adults or 49 euros pp. Does this sound right or am I wrong? Does anyone have the answer to this? I've managed to get info on my other ferry routes-this is the only one left to pin point. Thanks.
Old Jan 9th, 2011, 05:58 PM

You haven't said when you plan to go. Off-season schedules are less-frequent than those later on in the year. Once the schedule for your travel dates is finalized you will be able to see it here: http://www.gtp.gr
Old Jan 10th, 2011, 12:35 AM

You are travelling in late June - early July, I believe. Checking historical records from two different sources, the only vessel I could find sailing that route at that time last year was ANEK Line's Prevelis. I believe it sailed from Rhodes to Sitia and Heraklion on Tuesdays and Saturdays. This is a long, complicated route with very old ferries, starting and ending in Piraeus. BTW, that is the same route I mentioned in another thread as taking about 12 hours.

Currently Prevelis is undergoing its annual refit, and the route is being served by Ierapetra. I doubt that next summer's timetable will be confirmed much before May. This is a government subsidized route, and the ferry company must wait for approval before releasing the new schedule. Frankly I feel you are spinning your wheels trying to firm up a ferry itinerary this early in the year. It is very risky to plan an itinerary based on previous year's ferry schedules, but it may work out if you are willing to play it by ear.
Old Jan 10th, 2011, 01:08 AM

LANE is owned (or at least controlled) by ANEK. The only sailings between Rhodes and Crete will be those advertised by ANEK (www.anek.gr). They currently have a weekly sailing by the IERAPETRA L (one of LANE's ships) but it's too early to see summer timetables. The sailings on this route are often at very inconvenient times.
It may be just as easy to travel via Pireas. Blue Star have overnight ships between Rhodes and Pireas, and there are plenty of services from Pireas to Crete.
Old Jan 10th, 2011, 06:20 AM
Original Poster

We would be leaving Rhodes on June 27, 2011 for Crete. I realize it's early for the ferry schedules but I'm hoping they will be the same as last summer. We will get to Crete somehow. In my notes I see I have the IERAPETRA Ferry written down.

The reason I'm trying to get the ferry details sorted is that I've received e-mails from places we're staying at on other islands-not Rhodes-asking us for info as to when we arrive in their port, name of boat, etc. I have that info for Mykonos and Santorini but maybe because those 2 islands are so popular for tourists?? I even have managed to get ferry info from Santorini to Rhodes.

I really thank you all for the helpful info and patience with my desire to have things sorted out. Maybe that's an American thing?? Or maybe it's my obsessive need to have things planned!!
Old Jan 10th, 2011, 06:41 AM

Christy NO it's not an American thing, it's a "Type-A" trait ... please calm down. And please -- when you post a new inquiry thread, Please "recap" what your itinerary dates/sequence is at the moment. You have several different threads going, with different scenarios. And re-explain the reasons for your sequence, and choices of islands. Otherwise, for newcomers (or regulars like me who don't keep other people's trip details constantly in my mind), it's like coming in at the middle of a movie, and no one to explain the plot.

That Rhodes-Crete ferry idea is a non-starter, as several sage Old Hands have advised. If you must do Rhodes-Crete, have you looked into Sky Express? It will mean paring down your luggage and also paying overweight charges if indeed it's allowed. If the only reason you are putting Rhodes first is to save $100 per ticket, maybe you should re-think.

Finally, do not, not, not finalize your hotel reservations until you get the transport solved, if these are hotels that require a deposit, or penalize u on credit-card for changes. Do not fret, it will work out somehow.
Old Jan 10th, 2011, 06:41 AM

I must have been to Greece a dozen or more times since the early 1980s, and have never booked accommodation or ferries in advance. It seems much less stressful to me to take things as they come, and to be able to change plans according to the weather and other circumstances. Outside the peak season, the ferry companies change their schedules from week to week, but it is actually very easy to travel around Greece: if you have to spend a day more here and a day less there, it doesn't really matter.
Old Jan 10th, 2011, 10:48 AM

Hi Chris,

Regardless the emails, no hotel can expect you to supply details of name of ferry, time of arrival, etc. before the timetables are even released. That's simply impossible, and might suggest you are trying to rush things a bit. ;-) With a route that has daily ferries, e.g. Paros - Santorini, it's a no-brainer, but get off the main ferry routes, e.g. Rhodes - Crete, and you have to wait until timetables are released, sometimes only 2-3 weeks before sailing.

Of course you can do like GeoffHamer and I do, which eliminates all that pre-trip stress and bother — don't book anything in advance. There are always empty seats on the ferries in late June - early July, and there are always vacancies in hotels. Why? Because everything is geared to high season, which is roughly from mid-July through the third week of August.

I don't really expect you to turn up in Greece with no reservations — that's something only experienced Greek travellers do. But for heaven's sake, relax, you have plenty of time to plan your trip, and less will go wrong if you wait until you have all the information you need.
Old Jan 10th, 2011, 11:02 AM
Original Poster

Since everything else has come together not going to worry about getting to Crete from Rhodes any more. I have from 6/28 until we leave Greece on 7/7 to figure it out. I need to book the accommodations now in order to get the places we want as most are filling up fast.

For travelerjan-Here's our itinerary so far.

6/8-6/11 Arrive Athens. Get rental car. Drive to Nafplio. Spend 3 nights at most likely the Aetoma as the Amphitryon is out of our price range-cheapest room with view is 241 euros per night. Day trips to ancient Corinth, Mycenae, and Epidaurus.

6/11 Olympion Asty-room with view of the Alfeios Valley and the Ionian Sea. Has parking area for our rental car. 1 night. Sightseeing.

6/12-6/14 Delphi Amalia. 2 nights. Sightseeing.

6/14-6/16 Kalambaka. Divani Meteora. 2 nights. Monasteries tour.

6/16-6/19 Drive back to Athens vis Thermopylae. Drop off rental car. Possibly Athens Gate Hotel or Royal Olympic for 3 nights. Sightseeing.

6/20-6/22 Ferry to Mykonos. Hotel Tagoo for 3 nights. DIY day trip to Delos on one of the days.

6/22-6/25 Ferry to Santorini via Paros. Torn between Atlantida Villas in Oia or Villa Ilias in Firostephani. R & R.

6/25-6/28 Ferry from Santorini to Rhodes. 3 nights. Possible Rhodes Park Suites or place in Old Town-nothing decided yet. Sightseeing 1 day for Old Town and 1 day for Lindos.

6/28-7/6 Get to Crete-ferry or fly. Stay 8 nights with friends in Chania. Local wedding & christening, excursion to Museum & Knossos.

7/6 Fly to Athens. 1 night airport hotel.

7/7 Early am flight home.
Old Jan 10th, 2011, 04:17 PM

Sounds eminently do-able to me. And if you can't do that direct Sky express flight from Rhodes to Heraklion... you can fly to Athens, & jump on next flight to Chania. 6/28. There are Chania flights at 14:25, 16:50, 19:50 and 21:1, prices ranging from 68 - 108€
Old Jan 10th, 2011, 05:13 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Jan. Didn't realize there would be so many flights from Athens to Crete. Now I'm confident we will be fine. As long as we can pay for the extra baggage weight-no problem. I'll check to make sure there's no restrictions on the scuba gear bag-think not, as no tanks-only BC, regulator, etc.
Old Jan 10th, 2011, 06:59 PM

Wow. you didn't mention scuba stuff -- that makes it definite. You cannot fly from Crete to Rhodes -- Sky Express won't allow much overweight at ALL, at any price (it's only a 15 passenger plane!). So...you fly to Athens & then to Chania on either Olympic or Aegean.

YOu can find out most if you search websites not just ask FOrums for answers. This site combines both Aegean & Olympic flights http://www.airtickets.gr/registration_en.asp
but you need to check both lines own sites about policies on extra-weight items
http://www.olympicair.com/Home.aspx?a_id=549
http://www.aegeanair.com/default.aspx
Old Jan 11th, 2011, 03:58 AM

Yes, Jan is correct, although it's possible you could pay Sky Express a steep overweight charge to get the scuba equipment onboard. Before you contemplate booking with Sky Express, get something in writing clearly stating that you can bring the equipment. They have a 12.5 kg checked baggage allowance, and could require you to leave overweight items behind.
Old Jan 11th, 2011, 09:16 AM
Original Poster

12.5 kg is only 27.5 lbs. I think our regular piece of checked luggage will be more than that-probably around 40 lbs. each. We have to pack for Egypt and Greece. Looks like Sky Express is not an option.

Thanks Jan for the websites-Both allow 2 items for each of us-total of 20 kilos or 44 lbs. for each of us. The diving gear will incur an additional charge of 35 euros per flight.
Old Jan 12th, 2011, 08:57 AM

I once flew Athens to Rhodes then later Rhodes to Crete and it was very convenient. Your itinerary will surely make for a wonderful trip. One note - there is lots to see in Rhodes and your stay is short. The Old Town is a fascinating place to wander. We really enjoyed a stay at the small boutique Hotel Nikos-Takis. For your day in Lindos, get there early as it is a gorgeous beach with taverna (with an outdoor shower head to rinse off the sand). It is easy to get there via the local bus service if you don't have a car. The sand gets very hot, even at the end of June, so wear flipflops. There's a charming village to stroll around. Enjoy!
Old Jan 12th, 2011, 09:31 AM

I don't know where she got her information, but Jan has not given you the facts about SkyExpress. This is from their website:

"The maximum allowable baggage weight per passenger is 12,5 kg. If there is a need for more weight, please contact the carrier 24 hours before the flight. From 12.5 kg to 26.5 kg there will be a charge of 3 Euro per kilo. From 26,5 kg to 70 kg a seat will have to be booked for the price of the net fare (without taxes). From 70 kg to 140 kg two seats will have to be booked for the price of two net tickets."

Also, their planes hold either 19 or 30 passengers, not 15.
Old Jan 12th, 2011, 11:59 AM

The point, really, is not to turn up at Sky Express check-in with overweight baggage unless you have contacted them in advance. Were it me I would get something in writing about the scuba gear when making the booking, then reconfirm 24 hours in advance as required by Terms and Conditions in the Sky Express website.

Even with the €3/kilo overweight charge, Sky Express may still be your best option for getting from Rhodes to Crete. The alternative would be the 12 hour ferry, and maybe adjusting your itinerary by as much as 2-3 days to fit the ANEK Lines sailing dates.
Old Jan 12th, 2011, 12:14 PM

Sorry BRotherlee, I thought it was 15, not 19. The person I spoke to about Rhodes-Crete did not mention a 30-passenger model available.

As far as being able to carry a lot of overweight if one was willing to pay, yes that is true. But I heard about someone who had to leave something behind, or ship it otherwise. I guess this was because there were no empty seats to be booked for that overweight stuff. The fact is, if all 19 seats are booked, they won't let you take a lot of overweight just for paying, because the plane can only take a certain limit of weight.
Old Jan 12th, 2011, 12:22 PM

Heimdall has it right. Don't just show up with too much baggage without having first made arrangements for the overage. It's just common sense.