Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

I'lle Saint Louis v. Le Marsais apartments

Old Jan 1st, 2011, 07:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My first post on Fodor's! It must mean that we are going to Paris! Our first visit!!

Need advice on the two areas we are considering staying. Guestapartment.com has only 2 units available during our mid-May stay and both are on the I'lle Saint Louis. The Angelica is the one we are considering only because of the bed and the two comfortable looking chairs. The decor is stark. And even though we are both - to paraphrase another Fodorite - on the wrong side of sixty, I wonder if the I'lle is too sedate?

I have found several larger apartments on rentparis.com that are near the Rombuteau metro and wonder if this would be a good area to stay? Any opinions?
Old Jan 1st, 2011, 08:05 AM

I love Ile St. Louis, although it is quieter than the Marais. Quieter is relative though because it is teeming with tourists during the day... I think it would be neat to come back there at night as a "resident" (as much as we can be pseudo-residents while being tourists!).

We've eaten at Brasserie de l'isle St. Louis and had great meals at least 3 times over 5-6 years. And they've been extremely nice and accommodating to our little peeps!

I didn't look at the exact apartment, but for me, a few other considerations:

1) washer/dryer. not all are combo units. Makes packing lighter much easier!

2) steps/elevator. what floor ? is there an elevator ?

3) wifi is nice.

4) positive reviews - either the specific apartment or the agency. www.slowtrav.com is a great place to find reviews.

good luck! (welcome, keep posting, don't be afraid to chime in on topics and/or ask questions, but also have a thick skin!)
Old Jan 1st, 2011, 08:10 AM

The I'sle is a very nice place to stay. There are several bus lines at both ends and the metro is not that far.You can connect with the St MIchel metro right in front of Notre dame.Lots of nice restaurants and cafes on both St Louis and Cite and you are just across the bridge from the Latin Quarer and lots of transport options.
We have stayed in the Marais but in a more convenient spot then Rambateau, right across from St Louis St Paul, with 5 or 6 bus lines right outside our door and St Paul metro 50 yards down across the street

Check vacation in Paris
Old Jan 1st, 2011, 08:50 AM

I'm not sure what you mean by sedate, maybe you can say. I never have heard of anyone calling it that nor complaining about it being sedate. Sure, a lot of wealthy people live on it, if that is what you mean, not sure. And it is not a destination night spot for young people, but I wouldn't think that would be a problem for you.
Old Jan 1st, 2011, 09:03 AM

Check out Vacation In Paris Garden Delight apt. It is across the street from St Paul metro. I can't imagine walking from Angelica to St Paul! It's also a lot cheaper!
Old Jan 1st, 2011, 09:38 AM

I am writing this thread from I'lle Saint Louis and a guestapartment....I could not be happier. We are having the best time being on this little bit of Paris real estate. The worst part about being here is that I don't have my own apartment. It is our first time to this part of Paris so when we arrived it was like, okay not sure about this. Was wondering about it being a bit far away from some of the places that we frequented in the past trips, but it didn't take long to become familiar. We have taken a taxi on some occasions and walked others. We have the most beautiful view from our apartment, I am content to spend lots of hours just being in here. Also at first we thought we would just eat at restaurants but I said, no we want to cook and feel like we belong....The butcher, cheese shop, wine shop and grocery store is great. My husband has made six trips over there today, they are on first name basis...the best I can say is that I will return here again. It is just wonderful and the guys at guest apartments are great to work with too. No it is not a cheap place but if it is in your budget I would say that you will in no way be disappointed in I'lle St Louis. Almost forgot lots of young couples, kids, old people, they are all here
Old Jan 1st, 2011, 09:52 AM
Original Poster

Wonderful responses! Thanks for your time. I must ask returntoyourseat if based on your name you are a teacher or a flight attendant?!

I've sent off some questions to guestapartment and I think we will probably stay on the Ile. I only wish we had reserved sooner for a better choice of apartments.

Perhaps we should drop your husband's name when we go to the butcher for a big discount!
Old Jan 1st, 2011, 10:39 AM

Angelica looks great to me. We stayed in Mimosa and this one looks better. (But you can't have a better time than we did! We loved every minute of it.) The guys at Guest Services are very easy to work with and accommodating. Have a great time. CJ
Old Jan 1st, 2011, 11:46 AM
Original Poster

CarolJean, glad to hear that. Angelica just seems dark but maybe once those cute shades are drawn it will brighten. The decor is not to my preferance but that bed is gorgeous!

Surfmom thanks for all you hints. Slowtrav is a great site I'll use often.
Old Jan 7th, 2011, 10:28 AM

MarySteveChicago - have been out of the loop for a few days and realized I hadn't responded.....not a teacher or a flight attendant, I am an expat wife who has heard that so many times. I don't know if you have had a chance to talk with guestapartment. No matter where you stay on the I'lle I think you will be happy. Just pick up some flowers for the stark, and the Metro is so close, and five minute walk to taxi stands. Let me know how it goes. Oh to go back there soon, I have felt loss since leaving - seems like ages ago and has only been a few days. I am going to have to face I am addicted to Paris
Old Jan 7th, 2011, 11:44 AM
Original Poster

RTYS, I hope I feel addicted after this first trip! Yes I contacted GuestApartment and told them I loved Muscari except for the uncomfortable looking sofa and they responded that they put in a 'real' sofa over the holidays. So we've booked it! Now the fun begins, securing an apt. in Beaune and airfare.

Thanks for the info on the I'le. Can one buy a roasted chicken nearby to bring home? I'm having so much fun thinking of the possibilities and reading Fodors!
Old Jan 7th, 2011, 11:54 AM

We just returned from a fantastic stay with Guest Apartments Paris on Ile St. Louis. The apartment was located in a wonderful location which offered all our necessities just around the corner - pastries, wine shop, cheese shop, and a pharmacy (they speak English). I cannot say enough good things for our hosts who had lots of local restaurant info as well as other helpful tourist information.

The views alone of the Seine were the selling point for us. I liked that the island wasn't a party scene every night but I sure didn't feel like it was "sedate" either.

We would stay there again tomorrow if we could go.
Old Jan 7th, 2011, 12:01 PM

We found a good roasted chicken stand by the Monoprix grocery that is a few blocks from your apartment. I don't have a map with me but it is by the St. Paul metro.

Restaurants that are near you that are very good:

Rostisserie de Beaujolais

Le Petit Pontoise - a favorite for duck, roasted lamb chops and to-die-for tiramisu

Le Fin Gourmet
Le Tastevin

Le Fous de L'Ile - our own "Cheers" bar. We became regulars at this very friendly spot. Great place for drinks and coffee and really good breakfasts.
Old Jan 7th, 2011, 12:03 PM

One of the places I always go on any trip to Paris is the Ile. Nice main street,some good restaurants, nice views of Seine, historic mansions,etc.. I've also stayed at hotels there. Busy during day, but quiet a night. Any traffic is cross Bank traffic, minimal "on island".
You also have VG access to Notre Dame, Metros (on Ile de la Cite or either Bank), nearby Seine cruise, and the RER to the airport.

The Marais is not a bad spot, but having choice...
Old Jan 7th, 2011, 12:17 PM

We roasted our own chicken, delicious - from the butcher on the main street. Fresh chicken with the head and feet, of course the butcher cleaned it all up for us...it was great fun to cook but we did mostly restaurants. We had a favorite just downstairs from us that has wonderful salad with goat cheese. I know you will have fun planning this. If we can help you in any way let us know. BTW Chez Julian is across the bridge, we went in there one night around eight without a reservation, they were great to arrange a table for us, we enjoyed it and it is so close.
Old Jan 7th, 2011, 12:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Stayed in Gardenia with my mom several years ago. She was just "the wrong side of 60" and enjoyed the Ile Saint Louis very much. If it meets your needs and you can afford it, go for it.

Enjoy your trip!
Old Jan 7th, 2011, 01:05 PM

Just thought I'd throw my two cents in but my wife and I recently returned from Paris and stayed at a hotel in the Marais and LOVE the neighborhood. Also, most of the shops there are open on Sundays, which is a huge bonus when you're a tourist.
Old Jan 7th, 2011, 01:14 PM

We've stayed in the Marais and Ile St Louis. We loved both, but we love anywhere in Paris. I prefer the Ile St. Louis location as it is more central and more sites within walking distance.
I LOVE the Marais for Sunday shopping, though! Great boutiques open and lots of fun little shops.
Old Jan 7th, 2011, 01:15 PM

I noticed in your post you chose the apartment based on the bed. I see that under the photo it says king sized bed but in the apartment description it says a queen sized bed. Not sure if size or visual presentation was the factor.

We really prefer the lager size of an American king size bed and find that this is just about impossible to find in europe.
Rented an apartment with a "king size" bed a few years back in Paris to find it was barely a queen by US standard. If you want a large bed you need to ask the dimensions.
Old Jan 8th, 2011, 08:43 AM
Original Poster

LCCarol, we actually wound up in a different apartment through the same agency with u( a double bed but the chose it for it's bright atmosphere and decor and they even switched out the sofa for a more confortable one.

Thank you everyone for the suggestions. Love them! Guest Apartment has already sent us lots of info too including restaurant suggestions. Very happy with them!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -