Ferries in Greece

Mar 12th, 2005, 12:34 PM
Original Poster

Ferries in Greece

Hi,
I am planning my trip to Greece this fall and I am having difficulty finding ferries from Mykonos to Santorini for Oct 9 and from Santorini to Crete on Oct 11. In fact I can't seem to find any for any dates. I have checked greekferries.gr, anek.gr, bluestareferries.com, gaferries.com, dolphins.gr, lane.gr, minoan.gr and nel.gr. What am I doing wrong or is it just that I cannot book these ahead and need to wait until I get to Greece to book these ? I did find Athens (piraeus) to Mykonos on Blue Star but that was it. What help or advice can you offer ?
Thanks,
Areala from Tarpon Springs Florida
Mar 12th, 2005, 12:40 PM

If Brotherleelove sees your question, he can give you an authoritative answer.

My guess would be that it's simply because the ferry lines have not yet published their fall schedules.
Mar 12th, 2005, 12:45 PM

Many ferries have summer schedules and fall/winter schedules. It may be the fall ones won't be released for several months. Try www.ferries.gr and it says you must have cookies enabled.
Mar 12th, 2005, 02:12 PM

Greek ferry schedules are not published far in advance. Getting information on October services is particularly difficult because companies are then reducing their schedules from summer to winter. It is much better to have a flexible itinerary and get up-to-date information when you get to Greece. There is no need to book ferries in advance for October.
Mar 12th, 2005, 02:52 PM

There is only one ferry company that travels directly between Mykonos and Crete stopping along the way at Paros, Naxos, Ios and Santorini. This would be the Hellas Flying Dolphin passenger ferry. The run from Mykonos to Santorini takes about 3 hours. They recently released their summer timetable for this route,

http://www.greekislands.gr/hfd/

but it's only good until September 19 for the daily run, and after that it's 5 days/week. It's very possible that there will be a change for the Fall/Winter schedule, but you won't know until much later on in the summer. GeoffHamer is absolutely right when advising flexibility. And since reservations aren't needed so late in the year you can easily make plans as you go.

The only other way to get to Santorini by ferry from Mykonos would be to take a car ferry to Paros, another ferry over to Naxos, and yet another from Naxos to Santorini via Ios. The Flying Dolphin is much easier.

I hope this helps.

Mar 12th, 2005, 04:41 PM
Original Poster

Thanks a bunch brotherleelove....
I figured that was the problem. I would like to at least book my hotels in advance, so you don't think I will have a problem with ferries if I just wait until I am in Greece?
Mar 12th, 2005, 05:13 PM

The ferry services do not all run every day, therefore you should be wary about booking hotels in advance. The schedules can also be disrupted by bad weather. Greece is quiet in October - most tourists have gone home - so there's no need to book accommodation in advance.
Mar 12th, 2005, 05:26 PM
Original Poster

Thank you GeoffHamer
This is not necessarily good news for me. My hubby likes to book everything in advance...me, I'd rather go by the seat of my pants. I rather like the un-expected but I don't like the idea of booking hotels on islands only to find I can't get there !!!! That would upset me a bit.
Mar 12th, 2005, 05:50 PM

No, you won't have a problem with booking the October ferries as you go as long as you keep up with any changes that might occur between now and then, and then re-check the day before you plan to move between islands down at the port's ticket office (or have someone at your hotel do it for you).

And as far as booking your hotels in advance, I think that once the post-summer schedule is published on the HFD website you should be able to rely on it, barring unforseen delays from high winds and breakdowns. If something unplanned happens you'll just have to make the best of it the way everyone else does.

If your husband is still uncomfortable with this possibility, you can always fly from Mykonos to Santorini via Athens. It's not expensive, and rough seas won't stop the planes. Aegean Airlines has the best prices and the most reliable reputation.
Mar 12th, 2005, 05:52 PM

I've always been lucky enough to have the ferries go when I needed/wanted them to, so I haven't actually tried what I am about to suggest.

Book your preferred hotels on the islands (although I would tend to agree with Brotherleelove that this is not likely to be necessary in October), but when you book, make sure that you ask them about their cancellation policy; i.e., if you could not get the ferry you wanted and called to advise them, would they cancel your first night's reservation without penalty?
Mar 12th, 2005, 05:57 PM

Corrections to the above:

No need for reservation as mentioned by both Brotherleelove and GeoffHamer.

Cancellation without penalty if you cannot take the ferry you wanted, either due to weather conditions or due to schedule changes.
Mar 13th, 2005, 05:01 PM
Original Poster

Thanks a bunch for all your advise. I think I may be wearing hubby down. There are a lot of pluses to not booking in advance. I too, feel that, that time of year won't be a major problem for availability in most hotels. But I may book later as we get closer and check their cancellation policies.

By the way...how is driving around the Peloponnese ? I've driven in France, Spain, Italy and Ireland comparatively speaking...it can't get any worse than that...can it ?