Ferries within Greece

Old Sep 4th, 2011, 09:10 AM
Original Poster

Ferries within Greece

Hi Everyone,

I'm going to Greece at the end of September. Some people say don't bother booking ferries yet, until you get there, others say book it right away. When I look on line, there seems to be limited availablity and not many options. Therefore, it worries me to wait in a way. However, the prices seems to be high and only high speed ferries come up. We are on a budget and would prefer to save by going on a slower boat.

Can you guys help me as to:

1. Should we book from now?

2. Why are there no cheap ferries available or coming up?

3. If we book a high speed one from now, is there a chance we'll regret it once we're there we'll be able to find a cheap one?

I'll provide the exact dates in case you can really help me look into this but all comes up are the Sea jets and Hellenic seaways. None of the economic ones.

Mykonos- Santorini Sep 28

Santorini- Crete Sep 30

Thank you in advance,

Lana
Old Sep 4th, 2011, 09:56 AM

Lana, normally there are 2 ferry companies running between Mykonos and Crete with a stop at Santorini along the route, but on September 28 there is only one, from the IJ "Sea Jets" Consortium. Because of this you should book in advance to avoid the possibility of that one ship being full if you wait until you're there to book. You can do this online at http://www.danae.gr and opt to pick up your tickets either at the airport from Amphitrion Holidays in the Arrivals Hall between doors 2&3, OR at a ticket office on Mykonos. With that in mind you should probaby also book your ferry to Crete in advance, but go with Hellenic Seaways for that one. It's the more reliable of the two.

FYI-you will have another option for reaching Santorini from Mykonos on the 28th. There will be a different Sea Jets morning ferry around 10am from Mykonos to Paros that takes 40 minutes. At Noon there will be a large Blue Star car ferry stopping at Paros on the way to Santorini. This is actually a great way to see the caldera for the first time, as it's an open ship and you can be out on deck for the view. The Sea Jets ferry is enclosed and there's no deck. This second option will actually get you to Santorini a little earlier in the day, by the way.

Why are there no cheap ferries available or coming up? What you see is what you get. Once the ferry schedules are determined for the season nothing more is added, especially after the high-summer demand is over.
Old Sep 4th, 2011, 10:30 AM

>>2. Why are there no cheap ferries available or coming up?<<

Because there are none on the Mykonos - Santorini route, and only one on the Santorini - Crete route. Mykonos and Santorini are on two different main ferry routes, connected in summer by high speed catamarans. Santorini - Crete has one ferry (currently Prevelis) operating on Monday and Saturday. Other days the only connection is with high speed catamarans.
Old Sep 4th, 2011, 10:32 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much Brotherleelove.

So at first you said I should book it since it's the only ship that day but then you gave me a second option that I really like the sound of. Should I wait till I'm in Mykonos (or at least in Greece) before I book one then? Since there seems to be more than one option.
Old Sep 4th, 2011, 02:16 PM

If you opt for SeaJet 2 to Paros and Blue Star from Paros to Santorini, there is no need to prebook the tickets. Simple reason: most Sea Jet passengers disembark at Tinos and Mykonos, and the leg from Mykonos to Paros runs almost empty. Likewise, Blue Star is never full at the end of September. I am in Greece right now, and it is already beginning to get quiet.
Old Sep 4th, 2011, 02:39 PM

Oh Heimdall,you are already in Greece?
Kales diakopes !!!!
Old Sep 4th, 2011, 10:50 PM

Thank you, Clauser! Five more days on Antiparos, then Peloponnese and Athens.