Greek Isles - Sifnos - Ferries

Old May 13th, 2003, 04:14 PM
Original Poster

Greek Isles - Sifnos - Ferries

Hi all ... first off, this forum has been an amazing source as my fiancee and I put together plans for our honeymoon. We're going in June 2004. After reading many, many posts -- and surfing as many websites -- we have settled on flyng from Athens to Santorini, then by ferry to Sifnos, then onto Naxos/Paros then to Syros.

The big question I can't find an answer to: I know there are infrequent ferries from Sifnos to various ports. WHICH FERRY LINE OPERATES THEM? I've looked all over and can't find any schedules!?

Please help. We're trying to decide when we should plan to leave Santorini and head to Sifnos. I was told that we could get a fast ferry/catamaran from Thira to Sifnos.

Thanks in advance.
Old May 13th, 2003, 05:01 PM

check out

http://www.ferries.gr/gaferries/
Old May 13th, 2003, 06:40 PM
Original Poster

thank you for the response. checked that out. looks like the only one is on Friday -- at least the one running right now. How far out from our trip do you think I should check to see what the day is? a month? two months? thanks again.
Old May 14th, 2003, 03:51 AM

Call the company and see if that ferry ever changes or if it's a fixed thing. That way you can plan better.
Old May 14th, 2003, 05:48 AM

I'd suggest you reconsider the order of your itinerary. Sifnos is way more accesible from Syros/Paros/Naxos than from Santorini. During summer I believe that there is a daily service from Syros to Sifnos (at least there was last year.) BTW I checked www.dolphins.gr and I found that Santorini (or Thira) and Sifnos are actually connected with various ferries (both highspeed and conventional)this summer. However this is a commercial site and shows only the ferries of this particular company. It has no information about intra cycladic ferries (which usually sail from Syros). For this type of information you'd rather contact either the local port authority or a local travel agency.
Old May 14th, 2003, 06:03 AM

I did a similar trip last year minus Sifnos. I went Naxos, Santorini, Paros and Syros. If you check http://www.ekathimerini.com/ they post the next days ferry routes under their information services. The above website is Greece's english newspaper.
Old May 14th, 2003, 06:50 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again for the responses.

Dennis: I had initially decided to do Santorini, Naxos, Sifnos then Syros. But somewhere else I read a recommendation to hit Sifnos early, as connections are fewer. I'm having difficulty deciding now.

I'm wondering whether there's a good travel agency in Greece that could help work all these connections issues out. Anyone know?

Old May 14th, 2003, 07:36 AM

Most, if not all, services to Sifnos are run by Hellas Ferries (www.dolphins.gr). All Greek ferry schedules are are liable to change at short notice, so you can never plan a journey in advance. Nearly all services in the Cyclades radiate from Pireas, so the best way to get to Sifnos is to get a ferry from Pireas. If you want to go to Santorini first, then wait till you get there before checking options for other islands - then decide where you're going next. Nobody in Greece can be certain what ferries are running next week - and anything could be happening next year.