Notices

Favorite sights outside of Istanbul

Old Sep 6th, 2008, 03:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Favorite sights outside of Istanbul

I and a friend are going to Turkey in mid-October. Our trip includes Istanbul, Cappadocia,and Ephesus. Two days ago the airlines cancelled our return flight making it necessary to stay in Turkey an additional 4 days. I am interested in ideas of what to do those extra days. We will already have spent several days in Istanbul at the beginning so.....
Should we extend the Istanbul experience, go to the Turquoise Coast, or do some other exciting thing?
I would appreciate any suggestions.
Thanks
sndiego
Old Sep 6th, 2008, 04:02 PM

Personally I would think an extra 4 days in Istanbul is a gift from the Gods. Its such a fantastic city and there is so much to see and explore. You'll have the luxury of not having to rush. Certainly taking some sort of cruise up the Bosphorus (sp?) would be worth it. Get a private guide and really get to know all parts of this fascinating and historical city. Lucky you!!!!
Old Sep 6th, 2008, 05:12 PM
Original Poster

Thanks kleroux for the advice. I am actually excited about having the extra days.
Old Sep 6th, 2008, 05:19 PM

You don't say how much time you had in Istanbul to begin with. I can tell you that I spent ten days and did not get to do everything I wanted.
Old Sep 7th, 2008, 01:13 PM
Original Poster

We will begin with 4 days in Istanbul--and plan on doing the hour long cruise on the Bosphorus. We will see the Rumeli Fortress, the spice market,Topkapi, Hagia Sophia, the Blue Mosque, the Islamic Art museum, and Sinan's mosque.

If there are other MUST SEE's in Istanbul, I would love to hear about them. Any advice is appreciated.
Thanks.
Old Sep 7th, 2008, 01:30 PM

You may find that seeing all that in four days does not allow as much time as you may want at some of the places. Topkapi, for example, can easily be a half day in itself. I'd suggest Dolmabahçe Palace, as troll along Istiklal çaddessi, the Cistern, the main bazaar, Galata Tower, Ortakoy on a weekend, perhaps Chora, a stop by the Asian side, ferry to the Prince Islands. Have a look at www.turkeytravelplanner.com for more.
Old Sep 7th, 2008, 03:23 PM
Original Poster

Seamus,
Thank you for the great ideas. You have given me some food for thought. I now have some things to focus on for my further research.
Old Sep 7th, 2008, 04:12 PM

Hi

Lucky you! Check out a day trip to Edirne - http://www.turkeytravelplanner.com/g...armara/edirne/
Old Sep 7th, 2008, 04:53 PM

Down by the Galata Bridge you can catch a boat to the Princes Islands, about an hour's boat ride away. Go to Buyuk Ada (Big Island), once a summer resort for Istanbul's elite. Ride through the pine trees past old mansions in a horse-drawn carriage. Have lunch near the boat landing. Then return to the city. A wonderful outing.
Old Sep 8th, 2008, 12:22 AM

The Basilica Cistern. I was there in Aug and we walked through the Hippodrome to the Blue Mosque. Then across the park to the Agya Sofia and then over the road to the Cistern comfortably in one morning.

Also enjoyed going up the Galata Tower and finding the Komondo Steps.

If you're not seeing them elsewhere then there are the Whirling Dervish as well.
Old Sep 9th, 2008, 04:40 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone for such great ideas! They all sound super.