Fatima--worth the trip?

Search

Fatima--worth the trip?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27th, 2010, 05:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fatima--worth the trip?

I have a big decision to make and I hope this forum can help me. I'll be in Lisbon in September, and from there I'll take a river cruise from Porto. I have two choices to get to Porto:
1) Take the river cruise transfer by bus, with a long stopover in Fatima. Time for lunch, visit to the shrine, etc.
2) Take a train from Lisbon to Porto.
I am traveling with a friend who is a loyal Catholic and wants to see the shrine at Fatima. But she is beginning to have second thoughts, fearing that it will be just a lot of tourist-hype.
Can anyone give me some feedback on Fatima, from the Catholic point of view? Is it worth the long bus trip to have time to spend there? Is the shrine a worthwhile visit for Catholics?
thanks
Old Jan 27th, 2010, 05:59 AM

Fatima is one of the biggest freak shows in Europe. You will see penitents "crawling" around the pavement on their bloody knees. You will see people flagellating themselves. This isn't religion; it is hysteria.

The entire place was eerie and gave me the willies. It is something to see. Like a train wreck, you just can't take your eyes off of it and stand around with mouth agape.

Check out the plethora of gift shops that pervade the town. You can purchase a glow-in-the-dark BVM table lamp or a Crown of Thorns coat rack for your front hall.

Thin, a Quaker
Old Jan 27th, 2010, 07:29 AM

I will not be as dramatic as Thin.

I was raised Catholic although I am not a practising one. The first time we toured Portugal, I just felt that I should include Fatima.
I have to say that it was the biggest disappointment for me in all of Portugal.
My impression: a concrete covered inclosure with many tacky tourist shops selling all kinds of junky religious aritcles.

But they do have daily mass and maybe I am just not religious enough now to appreciate the aura.
Old Jan 27th, 2010, 08:13 AM

It depends upon how you approach Fatima. I went to a Catholic shrine during my fallen away days and felt it was a commercialized waste of time. Went when I had returned to my faith and trying to understand it more fully and deeply. With open heart, I brought my intercession requests to the Blessed Mother at Fatima. I felt a great devotion pervaded the Fatima grounds and that people had a level of faith in God's presence that I continuously strive to achieve. That being said, there are alot of shops surrounding the area selling devotional items. To some, they may be junky religious items, to others, something more.

Like all things, we get out of it, what we put into it. Pray for His guidance on this decision! Have a great trip either way!
Old Jan 27th, 2010, 11:50 AM

I don't know why anyone would "pray for His guidance" concerning a visit to Fatima.

If Jesus has any taste, he would tell you to hole up at the Ritz-Carlton in Lisbon, sweetie darling.

Thin, who doesn't talk to god but dresses like the pope
Old Jan 27th, 2010, 01:09 PM

I'm Catholic. I was recently in Fatima and I didn't see anyone crossing the plaza on their knees nor any flagellation nor any of the freak show that Thin describes.

I stopped there because I was passing by but I would not recommend going out of your way to visit Fatima. The Basilica had lovely frescoes and stained glass windows. I felt nothing especially spiritual there. I did have a great sense of spirituality in the grotto at Lourdes and I was less religious then than I am now.

Go directly to Porto.
Old Jan 27th, 2010, 01:19 PM

I have seen a lot of crawling and cheap tourist stuff.
Old Jan 27th, 2010, 02:07 PM

I was not impressed with Fatima..

I had a much "stronger" reaction to the proession of the Fatima statue we happened upon in Lisbon. So I guess it just depends.

Not being Catholic or European I am not going to say I understand the "symbolism" of the relics and/or statues, but the reaction of people to the statue was moving. (And never in the US would the resturant owner tell me "go see her, you can come back and pay me" I did go back and pay, but I can't imagine folks in here being that trusting of a tourist!)
Old Jan 27th, 2010, 02:07 PM

We definitely did see pilgrims crawling on their knees, even on the road as we drove in. It didn't strike me personally as a very spiritual experience. I have felt a spritual connection in other religious (Catholic & other) sites around the world, including the hermitage on Mt Subasio above Assisi, and at Chimayo in New Mexico, but Fatima - I really wanted to leave.