Family trip to Italy Oct 2007

Aug 29th, 2006, 04:00 PM
Original Poster

Family trip to Italy Oct 2007

I am in the process of planning our first trip to Italy for Oct 07. Our children will be 10&13.
We will probably go for 10-12 days-Rome,Venice and ?. What other location would you choose?
Thanks!
Aug 29th, 2006, 04:09 PM

Hi michelle, if you could tell us something about what your family is interested in and what type of enviroment they might enjoy besides visiting Rome and Venice it would be easier to answer your question. A lot of people would also visit Florence. Others would want a few days in Tuscany perhaps.

May I suggest you give how many nights you will actually have in Italy. Some people include the days they fly to and from Italy as part of their trip time and others don't..so it gets confusing as to actually how long you will have in Italy. If you give us the number of nights you will have in Italy it clears up that confusion. Best regards.
Aug 29th, 2006, 04:20 PM
jgg

We did our first trip to Italy in March 2005 when the kids were 9 & 12. We did Rome, Venice and Florence. Here is the link to my trip report.http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34599242

Then this June we went back doing Piedmont, Ligurian Coast, Tuscany and Rome. Trip report link:http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34830020

These may be helpful to see what there is to see and do in the cities with the kids, as well as the smaller towns of Italy, and may help you answer some of LoveItaly's questions.
Aug 29th, 2006, 04:21 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for your response!
As far as my children's interest- my son is a big sports fan and daughter likes just about anything- both love the beach. They love just hanging out and exploring new places, meeting new people and love trying new foods. We have never been overseas but have traveled to the caribbean and mexico. They are great travelers.

I am planning to have 10 nights in Italy. I am very excited about this trip, it will be for my husbands 50th birthday! He is 100% Italian and has always wanted to visited Italy ( his parents/grandparents are from Sicily)

Thank you!
Aug 29th, 2006, 04:36 PM

I can't help with the logistics, but if your husband's family is from Sicily, is there some way you can go there - to the actual town they came from. I'm half Italian and my first trip to Italy had to include the village my grandmother was born and raised in. Just standing on the streets she may have walked on, seeing the vistas that we part of her everyday was something more than I could have imagined.
Aug 29th, 2006, 04:50 PM
Original Poster

jgg- Thank you for the links to your trip reports.. I am going to read them tonight!

Toni-I have considered trying to get to Sicily, but did not know if we would have enough time.

Can anyone recommend a good travel book for Italy...
Aug 29th, 2006, 05:16 PM

michelle763,
My trip reports with children may give you some ideas.
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34494897

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34608686
Feel free to e-mail if you have questions.

Henry
Aug 29th, 2006, 05:21 PM

a good book is in the eye of the beholder, but there are Fodor's, Rick Steves, Let's Go, Lonely Planet, Frommers, Time Out, a ton of others. You'd be best spending a half day or so in borders or Barnes & Noble browsing through the books there and seeing which one you like best. I usually buy several, and then xerox the pages i need to make my own makeshift one.

For 10 nights, because I'm a slow relish the experience traveler, I would just do two cities. You can easily spend 6 nights in Rome (with a daytrip down to Pompeii/sorrento) and 4 in Venice.

I just came across missypie's report from earlier this summer-she had 3kids i think around the age of yours
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34858834

If your son is a soccer fan, Roma & Lazio (Serie A clubs) usually play on sundays, that would be fun to watch in the stadium. You'll have to wait until next year for fixtures. (This years will be released on the tomorrow)

Happy Planning
Aug 30th, 2006, 06:25 AM

I know it is possible to move quickly through the sights, but we had 10 nights in Italy and I thought we were rushed with only 2 cities. Our children were 18 and 15. Flew into Venice, out of Rome. Used one day to travel between the two. We stayed in two hotel rooms in each city in smallish hotels. Both great, "moderate" prices with good value for the money: La Calcina and Daphne Veneto. In other countries with younger children, we preferred apartments.

With 10 days, we did 3 nights in Venice, 7 nights in Rome. We could easily have spent more time in either place, especially Rome. I felt a little rushed there. There is traffic (unlike Venice), it's more urban and you need time out to relax. More so with younger children. If you don't use it for siestas, you'll use it for childrens' activities. The Time Elevator and the cat santuary were popular with our girls. And shopping, though prices were generally much higher there. In order to get out of the city a little, we visited Ostia Antica and Orvieto as day trips. Other doable day trips include Assisi, Florence, even Pompeii IF you're willing to have a long, hard day (we weren't).
Aug 30th, 2006, 06:44 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for you replies!
JGG and Henry- your reports were terrific and very helpful!

KC- thanks for your book recommendations- I am going to head to B&N today.
Aug 30th, 2006, 07:31 AM

Here's my post about what my kids liked best:

We're back from Italy. I'll post a more detailed report later, but I thought I'd quickly post what my kids enjoyed most, for the benefit of any families that might be heading out soon. We have a son 15, a daughter 13 and a daughter 10.

ROME:

St. Peters - climbing the dome is like a fun house; plus the sheer size of it is amazing.

Forum Tour (we used Icon)

The Pantheon

The Borghese Gallery - the girls aren't huge art lovers, but the sculpture was so incredible that everyone loved it

Renting a surrey in the Borghese park (because the weather turned so disasterously bad [hail!] that we couldn't help but laugh).

My son loved seeing all the Angels & Demons sites.

FLORENCE:

Not having the traffic that Rome had.

Shopping (daughter 13)

Playing on a playground with Italian kids (daughter 10)

"The David"

VENICE:

Seeing the canals and riding the boats

Feeding the pigeons!!! My 10 year old could have done that all day.

And of course, they loved the gelato everywhere.

(The link to my full trip report took me to a thread about the Vatican Gardens.)
Aug 30th, 2006, 07:35 AM

Michelle, for your son the sports fan, I would recommend reading Tim Park's book, A Season with Verona which tells of this man's obsession with the Verona football team and his experiences as a fan and at the games home and away. It is very funny and offers some good insight into life in Italy for an expatriate. And for you I recommend Parks' book, Italian Neighbors which tells of his life in the Verona area.
Aug 30th, 2006, 07:43 AM

This should be a link to my trip report:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...t=0&dirtyBit=1
Aug 30th, 2006, 07:45 AM

bookmarking
Aug 30th, 2006, 07:50 AM

Never mind. I obviously don't know how to post a link. Sorry.