Bristol or Newport?

Aug 29th, 2006, 08:18 AM
Original Poster

Bristol or Newport?

For a two night side trip, which would you choose?
Aug 29th, 2006, 11:03 AM

Do you mean Newport off the M4 in South Wales, or Newport up the A38 towards Gloucester?

Personally, unless you are talking about the Celtic Manor Hotel near Newport in S Wales, I'd stay in Bristol, or venture further west to Cardiff.

Where's Mucky?
Aug 29th, 2006, 12:46 PM

Maybe rogerdodger meant to be on the US board and is referring to those two towns on Narragansett Bay in Rhode Island. In which case, I suggest Newport.

If not and it is UK, I suggest Bristol. You can find a number of threads on it.
Aug 29th, 2006, 01:08 PM

Hi rogerdodger,
Indeed please clarify where these 2 places are.
If its UK then drive for a bit further west as julia says and go to Cardiff. Newport city is not very special to be honest unless there is somewhere in particular you want to see. If your hell bent on one of those two, then go to Bristol..

Muck
Aug 29th, 2006, 01:12 PM

Neither.

Wherever you are, there's somewhere a lot more interesting nearby.

If we ARE talking about Bristol, England and Newport, Monmouthshire (which is supposed to be in Wales, but isn't really), the truly interesting question is what on earth made you even contemplate a trip to Newport.

If you're thinking of a base to see Chepstow, Monmouth, Caerleon or Tintern (all well worth several days' side trip), there are lots of nice hotels along the Wye and Secvern.

If it's Newport, RI, then you're just on the wrong board. But that's a lot more understandable than spending any time at all in most of England's Newports.

Though the one on the Isle of Wight's OK.
Aug 29th, 2006, 02:22 PM
Original Poster

Bristol England and Newport, northwest from Cardiff. A couple of years ago I flew into Heathrow, took thr express to Paddington, then train to Cardiff. This year I was thinking of Bristol and, or Newport if worth a coulpe of days. If not then most likely I will continue up to Hereford or even Ludlow. Just wanted opinions on different places. Thanks.
Aug 29th, 2006, 02:23 PM

There is nothing much in Newport( South Wales UK) worth stopping over for. If you really wanted to you could do a day trip to Bristol then catch a train to Cardiff for 2 nights and you can always vist Newport on a train from Cardiff. Takes about 10 -15 mins on a trian, but after about an hour or so you will be bored. I would not waste my time thou, a 2 night stay in Cardiff would be better. You can go and see Cardif castle, vist the Cardiff bay and perhaps St.Fagans, or maybe a day trip just outside Cardiff it has some beautiful coastal drive's Swansea coast is just an hour's drive or Breacon is not far away. As you asked Bristol or Newport can I ask why these 2 places did you have something in mind. Bristol is a large city with all the big shops and things, a Zoo and with a waterside developmnet that has bars and resturants. etc, but I would not say it was a must see city for a tourist. It also has some nice country drives just outside of Bristol.
Aug 29th, 2006, 02:34 PM

You must have been writting you reply just as I was writting mine.So I now see were your coming from, If you have done Cardiff, and was just wondering what there was to see in Newport or Bristol forget it. You might want to think about stopping over in Ross-On-Wye.
http://www.btinternet.com/~yeatesprint/ross/
Aug 30th, 2006, 02:23 AM

Perhaps you could consider Abergavenny, Monmouth, Raglan areas. Raglan has a brilliant castle well worth a visit. Then there is Caerleon for Roman stuff.

Also Hereford area is lovely.

But there is indeed loads to do inside and outside cardiff too.
let us know what you like.
Muck
Aug 30th, 2006, 05:19 AM

Ditto to neither. Ludlow is lovely, though - we've spent a week there twice, albeit over the period of the food festival.
Aug 30th, 2006, 06:01 AM

From some of your other trips, I know you like to go to less touristy areas, or at least less obviously touristy places.

But some places are "non-touristy" for a reason. I totally agree w/ what everyone has said. Bristol has some things worth visiting for sure, but definitely not Newport. I would skip both and go to Hereford or Ludlow.
Aug 30th, 2006, 07:53 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. As a senior who enjoys a slower pace and train/bus travel, I do limit what I may see or do in a town that I visit. It is not uncommon to arrive in a town in the late afternoon, do a walk, weather permitting, and then to a pub. A good nights sleep and off again to another area. This trip in November, as in the past, I am changing the towns that I visit then I make up my mind and book B&B's and make final plans.So far, in no particular order are this years list. Cromer, Ludlow or Hereford,Dunbar or North Berwick, Nairn or Brora, Appleby or Skipton, none that I have seen before. I picked Bristrol as just another possible stop.