Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Familiar with Hotel Eisenhut in Rothenburg? Town "closed to cars" during my stay...

Search

Familiar with Hotel Eisenhut in Rothenburg? Town "closed to cars" during my stay...

Search this Thread

Old May 11th, 2004, 12:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I and another couple are booked at the Eisenhut in Rothenburg for 3 nights beginning on May 29. Today, I received a fax from the hotel, stating that, due to a historical festival, traffic will be "restricted in the city", and it will be "closed for cars" from 9h to 18h on the 30th and 31st.
As we will be driving, I've e-mailed the hotel, requesting more information, how far away we would have to park, other alternatives, etc. I haven't yet received a response, and was wondering if anyone here with knowledge of this town or hotel could offer any advice or suggestions. If we can't get in or out of town without a huge hassle, should we consider looking for other accomodations at this late date?
Thanks for any assistance.
Old May 11th, 2004, 12:50 PM

As I recall, there was a large parking lot outside the "gate" we entered Rothenburg from. I believe this is where many of the tour buses park and I would bet there is overnight parking there.

Try doing a search on google for Rothenburg and see what you can find. You also might want to check www.ricksteves.com as I know they do a lot of tours there, and I'm sure his tour books have the information you're looking for.
Old May 11th, 2004, 01:04 PM

Last year we just happened to arrive in Rothenburg during that historical festival and we were just delighted to see it. So, even if it is a bit of a hassle, I think it will be worth it. I hope you get the specific info you need; we came in on the train so I can't really advise you.
Old May 11th, 2004, 01:44 PM

Yes, there are several public parking lots around the outside of the city wall with 24-hour parking. Ask your hotel which of the lots is the closest.
Old May 11th, 2004, 01:53 PM

Oops, you already tried to ask your hotel. You can check out various maps on the internet that would show the parking lots in relation to your hotel location. I believe parking is 10 euros overnight.
Old May 11th, 2004, 03:40 PM

Larry_M- "Closed for cars" doesn't mean that you can't park your car close to the hotel after 6PM. In fact, I would suspect that you can park your car inside the wall and leave it parked all day long. (I did this last year.)If you do park inside the wall, you won't be able to drive out after 9 AM or drive back in before 6 PM on the 30th and 31st.
I would suggest a day trip to Wurtzburg one of the days if you get bored with Rothenburg.
Lift a few for me...

Old May 12th, 2004, 03:55 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your replies. Though I still have not heard from the hotel, it doesn't appear as though this will be too great an inconvenience. On one of the days, I imagine we'll be out in the country early and return well after 6 PM, and on the other, maybe we'll just spend the day in Rothenburg.
Thanks again.
Old May 12th, 2004, 08:29 AM

Don't miss the parade. It is really something to see.