Search

Extra Day in Cappadoccia or Istanbul?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23rd, 2012, 07:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Extra Day in Cappadoccia or Istanbul?

Hi all again!

Only a month left until I leave for Greece/Turkey and I had to make some changes to the Ephesus/Cappadocia part of the trip. Instead or arriving in the morning our first day in Cappadocia, now we don't get there until late afternoon. The next two days we have a private guide to explore the area and have a balloon ride booked. On the third day - should we take an evening (19:15) flight to Istanbul to enjoy another day in Cappadocia or would the time be better spent settling in in Istanbul? We do have 5 days/6 nights in Istanbul.

Just curious for peoples thoughts - I'm leaning towards the third day in Cappadocia.

And, since I am soliciting opinions, would it be manageable/suggested to go to Aphrodisia after a private morning tour of Ephesus or should we relax and check our Sirince instead?

TIA!
Old Apr 23rd, 2012, 07:39 PM

I am sorry, it is not absolutely clear to me. Are you counting that first day of late afternoon arrival as the first day in Cappadocia? It doesn't look like it, so looks as if you have two whole days booked, plus a third possible. The third would be nice, but not necessary unless you wish to do some hiking. We arrived late one evening, had two whole days (three nights) and left the next morning.

We had a morning flight, and in retrospect, it would have been fine to leave late the evening before. Getting up, driving to the airport, flight, etc. ate up most of the morning anyway. Still, we had a great night's sleep in Cappadocia after a long day and still had the afternoon, to see Hagia Sofia.

As to the evening flight, if you are late night people, you would still get to your hotel in Istanbul in time for a very late dinner. It is hard to know what you would most enjoy for a few extra hours: exotic cafes, mosques and music or a lunar-like landscape that seems unreal and mysteriously quiet? We loved both.
Old Apr 23rd, 2012, 07:51 PM
Original Poster

Yes sassafrass, you understood me correctly - was discounting the arrival day. We have two full days at this point. I agree with you about the flights - that is what is happening to me in Ephesus - basically eating up three days just to spend one full day there - but it was the only way I could make it work and keep my traveling partner happy!
That is why I am thinking we should either fly to Istanbul early or late.
Old Apr 23rd, 2012, 08:51 PM

We spent four days in Cappadocia and a week in Instanbul and they were both worthwhile and filled with things to see and do.
Old Apr 23rd, 2012, 08:59 PM

I realized I was of no solid help. With two days, we saw everything we actually wanted to see in Cappadocia - we are not hikers - but would have ejoyed a longer stay anyway. We had only three days in Istanbul (would have liked at least five or six days), so did not see and do everything we wanted. You have more time in Istanbul. That is why it would just about be a toss up. Won't be wrong either way, but we are more city people, so we might lean towards Istanbul. OTOH, a day just hanging out in Cappadocia before the pace of Istanbul might be appreciated. We loved our hotel there - top one or two we've stayed in. OK, I change my mind. I would spend the extra day in Cappadocia.

Odd travel connections seems to happen to us sometimes also. I will tell you that I would happily eat up three days to visit Ephesus - amazing, beautiful and absolutely one of the highlights of all our travels. So relax and enjoy the other days. I thought the whole area was lovely. Also, the balloon ride in Cappadocia was another highlight - incredible and wonderful and romantic. I had to convince my DH to go to Turkey. It is now his favorite place.
Old Apr 23rd, 2012, 10:23 PM
kja

I'm reading the responses to your inquiry with interest, as I will be in Turkey soon.

Since I haven't been there yet, it probably doesn't make sense for me to reply, but FWIW, I'm planning on 3 days/4 nights in the greater Cappadocia area so I can include a day to hike in the Ihlara Valley and visit places near it. I'll have 5 days/6 nights in Istanbul; I can easily imagine enjoying weeks there, but think I'll be able to see my highest priorities in this time frame. But I travel alone (which probably saves time) and I have more time than that in the great Istanbul area - I'll be visiting Iznik and Bursa before reaching Istanbul. I am planning to visit Afrodisias, but it's on my way from Pamukkale to Selcuk, and that doesn't sound like your situation. I haven't been favorably impressed by recent reviews of Sirence (although I admit that it sounded interesting from older comments). I am planning to skip it entirely unless I quite unexpectedly end up with spare time while in the area.

Good luck with your decision - I don't think you have any bad options, just difficult choices between very different things.
Old Apr 24th, 2012, 06:13 AM
Original Poster

I know no one can tell us what to do or what we would like - I just like hearing peoples thoughts and suggestions. I'm fairly certain we could happily spend two weeks in Istanbul and not get bored but I also don't want to short change Cappadocia.
Interesting what kja what you say about Sirence. Might be nice to do the drive to Aphrodisa in that case....does anyone know if the drive there is nice?
Thanx for the feedback!Soon I will find out for myself!!
Old May 10th, 2012, 06:56 AM

My vote to spend more time in Cappadocia especially since you have some time reserved for Istanbul.
Happy Travelling,
Murat
Old May 10th, 2012, 07:03 AM
Original Poster

Yup - that is the plan I went with!
Can't believe the trip is almost here - very excited!