10 days in Turkey

Search

10 days in Turkey

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21st, 2010, 08:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
10 days in Turkey

I've been reading as many Turkey itinerary posts as I can, and I hate asking redundant questions, but I haven't found a post that has exactly the info I'm looking for. My husband and I are in the early stages of planning a 10-day trip to Turkey in early September (arriving right after the end of Ramadan). Two basic questions as we start putting together our itinerary:

1. Is 10 days enough to do Istanbul -- Izmir/ Ephesus -- Cappadocia at a pace that allows us to enjoy ourselves, and not make us feel like we're sprinting to get to the next site?

2. Can we add in a stop along the Meditarranean Coast to that itinerary, or would that be pushing it?

Thanks for your advice!
Old Jul 21st, 2010, 08:47 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
It really depends on how much of what you wish to experience.

most recent posts will give you ideas on this itinerary since it is the very basic itinerary followed by a very large proportion of touring tourists to Turkey.

Figure half a day for each internal flight, including transfer and early show up times.

Although some will disagree, i would compare istanbul to Florence and Rome combined in terms of the number of sights to visit.

Again, if you have done it, compare time in Cappadocia to the time you would spend to visit Crete.

finally, two days are enough for Ephesus and half the major sights in the neighborhood. You would need a third day for Aphrodisias, Pamukkale, and Hieropolis.

If you wish to go to Southern turkey for historic sites, you will not have time.
If you wish Southern Turkey for chilling out in non-touristy resort, you will not have time.
If you wish to spend two days at 5-7 star All inclusive hotel, at Belek or Lara, near antalya airport, you can do it.

-Two days rushing around in istanbul
-One day Bosphorus and night life in istanbul (all together 4 nights)

- Two days in Cappadocia (three nights)
- One night at Selcuk (Ephesus, museum, St. John's)
- Two nights at Belek or Lara. (some sight seeing to aspendos and Perge will be possible)

Do read some travel books in addition to the forums, before you decide.

you would need to make the local flight reservations as soon as possible, keeping in mind that there are not too many direct flights between Cappadocia and antalya, Cappadocia and Izmir, and possibly none between Izmir and Antalya.
Old Jul 21st, 2010, 09:03 AM

You can do it in ten days if you fly between the three areas: Istanbul, Ephesus, Cappadocia. You may want to rent a car in Cappadocia, it makes traveling around the sights much easier. If based in Selcuk, you do not need a car to see Ephesus.

My trip report might interest you, although it covers more than these three areas because we used 9 days to drive between Izmir and Kayseri.
Old Jul 21st, 2010, 09:13 AM

With flights you could, but I recommend 2 of the 3 destinations.
I did a similar-length trip and I picked 2: Istanbul and Cappadocia. There is just so much to see and do in Istanbul I wanted to make sure to have plenty of time to see the attractions and live the city life.
I only spent 3 nights in Goreme, but I could have filled a week with no boredom! I love history and hiking, and this region was a must to me, whereas I have been to the Mediterranean before.
I know I will return one day, and then I plan to visit the coast.
Just my two cents--regardless, it will be a fantastic trip. Certainly one of my best!
Old Jul 21st, 2010, 06:53 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all for your input, especially Michael. Your trip report is fantastically detailed, and I can see it coming in very handy throughout our planning process.

I think we'll aim for the three stops, flying in between the three. We don't mind splurging a bit to make this trip happen.
Old Jul 22nd, 2010, 01:36 PM

Like everyone commented and Othercelebi gave the breakdown of days, I would stick to that and skip Mediterranean for another trip....September is a busy month so better to book your flights first and built the itinerary around it.
Happy Travelling,
Murat
Old Jul 23rd, 2010, 05:16 AM
Original Poster

Ok, based on your recommendations and drawing heavily from TTP's 5-day driving tour, here's the first draft of our itinerary. Does it seem reasonable? Are we spending too much time in Cappadocia? My husband and I love hiking and biking, so I figure we'll enjoy getting out and about in Cappadocia. But we also really love cities and miss city life (we currently live in Kabul, where we're locked down on our compound and rarely get out), so we'd be ok with extra time in Istanbul. Honestly, I miss city life so much I've toyed with the idea of spending our whole 10 days in Istanbul!

Anyway, your thoughts and opinions are welcome and appreciated. And as a bonus question: any recommendations as to the best Western style mall in Istanbul (with reasonably priced stores, not just high-price designers)?

Fri – AM flight Kabul to Frankfurt. Early evening flight to Izmir, nighttime arrival. Overnight in Selcuk

Sat –Visit Ephesus, overnight in Selcuk

Sun – Aphrodisias to Pamukkale/Hieropolis: Drive to Aphrodisias, on to Pamukkale and Hieropolis; overnight in Pamukkale Town or Karahayit.

Mon – Silk road to Cappadocia: Drive Silk Road to Sultanhanı caravanserai. Continue through Aksaray to the Ihlara (Peristrema) Valley. Spend 2 or 3 hours at Ihlara, then to Derinkuyu. Overnight in Urgup.

Tues – Cappadocia: Hot air balloon and then 2 day tour of Cappadocia. Overnight in Urgup?

Weds - Cappadocia -Istanbul: Day 2 of Cappadocia tour. 9pm flight to Istanbul

Thurs-Sun – Istanbul

Mon – Midday flight Istanbul to Frankfurt. Red-eye flight to Kabul.
Old Jul 23rd, 2010, 05:42 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I am sure that Michael and others who wrote very useful trip reports can give you any advice you need. just check other reports by Luisah, ellen, Fra diavola, Ms.Go, Michel_Paris, isabel, Tommo and others, and if in doubt, ask them.
Old Jul 23rd, 2010, 06:36 AM

I went for 14 days, month of Augst. Arrived and spent 3-4 days in Istanbul, stayed outisde of city and rove in every day. We then drove to Ankara (overnight), Goreme (Cappadocia) for 1 night, Konya 1 night, Antalya 2 nights, Kas 1 night, Marmaris 1 night, Bursa 1 night and back to Istanbul for the remainder.

Of course, if I were to back I would spend more time at most of these places. We spent a 1/2 day at Ephesus. Special place. We also did a full day glass bottom boat cruise out of Kas to see Lycean ruins..some underwater...seeing an amphora down there, neat..cruise included lunch and multiple swim stops.

But we got to experience a lot in that short time. Driving was interesting because you get to see the countryside. There were some very dramatics views..countryside between Ankara and Goreme, the 'weird' formations in Cappadocia, Ilhara Valley..patch of green in an area of rock formations, the views along the Turkish Med...

We had 4 kids with us, so stopping to swim was important!

My little secret...Kas. LItle seaside fishing village.Go. Another secret, there is a beach about 10 mins west of Kas..magical.
Old Jul 23rd, 2010, 09:07 PM
Original Poster

Michel_Paris: Wow, you covered a lot of ground, and with 4 little kids to boot! I'm impressed.
Old Aug 1st, 2010, 12:40 PM

Same dilemma as circusliz. A 10 max 15 day trip to Turkey. we plan on 5 nights in Istanbul (4 days), the rest of the itinerary is what we need help with. My wife and I are keen on going to Troy, Epheseus and Pamukkale and Capppadocia if possible. We don't drive when on holiday. What does it cost to hire a car with a driver per day?

We prefer traveling by train. Is that possible? We are non-Europeans and so ineligible for the Inter-Rail pass.How is the train network in Turkey? The Turkish Railway site in English offers no information on domestic travel. We thought we would take the train from Istanbul to Canakkale for Troy and stay overnight. Then proceed to Izmir and spend 3 nights there and visit Epheseu, St John's. (Is it practical to stay in Izmir? What ese will we be able to see in Izmir?) How do we get from Izmir to Cappadocia? Would like to spend 3 nights in Cappadocia. We will be going in September after Seker bayram. Our interest is in the historical and ancient sites of Turkey rather than the beaches. Please advise.