Exploring Provence from Montpellier

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4th, 2004, 08:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello! I had gret luck with suggestions on this site for a trip to Vienna last November, and now we're planning to go to Provence for three weeks in May (May 12-June 1). We have the gret fortune to have a cousin on sabbatical at the University of Montpellier -and an invitation to plop there as home base. We fly to and from Nice and will stay in there (or nearby) on the first night and then drive to Montepellier. My questions are these:
1. Do you have recommendations for a wonderful guest hosue or B+B (with private bath!) in Nice, or nearby? I'm a little anxious because we arrive at the time of the Cannes film festival.)
2. How far can we reasonable drive from Montpellier on a day trip? We anticipate spending some over-nights away from our base, but we'd prefer to avoid paying for hotels, since a good alternative is readily available. From reading numerous postings on this site, I think there will be plenty to do and see in the western part of Provence, but we'd like to get a feel for the whole region-- and we have the luxury of 18 full days all dedicated to exploring and eating! I appreciate any suggestions.
By the way, we've lived in London and have travelled a lot in Europe, we've never been very far out of Paris before, so this is all new territory for us.
Thanks, nk
Old Feb 5th, 2004, 02:21 AM

Bumping this up for nfkura in hopes that St.Cirq will be able to point them in the right direction.
Old Feb 5th, 2004, 02:25 AM

Hi

Approx journey times by car from Montpellier :

Barcelona 2.5hrs
Figueras 1.5 hrs
Nimes 30 min
Arles 45 min
St Remy 1.25 hrs
Avignon 1.5 hrs
Nice 3.5 hrs

This assumes low traffic (should be OK in May).

Peter
The Languedoc Page
http://tlp.netfirms.com
Old Feb 8th, 2004, 12:18 PM

hi

just an update : I got back from Nice in 3hrs tonight. The traffic was medium, so I don't know why my memory thought it was 3.5hrs.

Peter
Old Feb 8th, 2004, 04:17 PM

nfkura:

Peter has given you great information about driving times. To that, I would add:

1. Don't overlook Montpellier itself. It's a diverse and fascinating place. As the oldest university town in France, it has a vibrant culture.

2. Just because Provence is fairly nearby, don't think you need to spend all your time driving over there to visit. Provence is a real draw for Americans and Brits, but keep in mind that there are areas closer to Montpellier that have tremendous appeal as well. Go north and west to the Lozère, Aveyron, and Tarn - absolutely no shortage of fabulous places to visit in those areas. Don't get stuck thinking that Provence is your only possible destination - it's not. In fact, with 18 days, I'd spend only about 5 or so in the Provence area.
Old May 21st, 2005, 10:15 PM

Hi there.

I see you spent some time in Montepellier at the Uni. in 2004. Can you give me any suggestions re accomodation.

I plan to be at the Uni for 3 months in May - Aug 2006. And am looking for contacts for accomodation for my wife and I and 2year old. Not sure on what an appartment or the like would be cost wise.

Will be doing an elective at the hospital for 10 weeks and hope to travel for 2weeks or so.
Cheers
Old May 22nd, 2005, 08:02 AM

Can someone please give us an idea of drive time from Sete to Montpellier airport ( early morning)..
Old May 22nd, 2005, 04:44 PM

Hi Claudi,

According to Mappy, the distance from Sète to Montpellier Airport is 41 km. Driving time: 29 min. For more info, check mappy.com

Ginny
Old May 22nd, 2005, 11:10 PM

Hi

Last time I did this trip ( a few weeks ago)there were major road works and a diversion as you follow the Sete road to the A9 junction.

If you are driving this route on a weekday, it may be worth allowing extra time because there is commuter traffic between Sete & Montpellier.

You might be interested in this photo I took in Sete : http://www.the-languedoc-page.com/la...-photo-159.htm on that visit.

Peter