Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

The BEST of Cote d'Azur and Provence in 7-10 days?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4th, 2009, 05:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Everyone - I am planning a trip to the French Riviera and Provence for 7-10 days in September. I am trying to figure out how to line up my itinerary, where to base myself and which towns I should focus on exploring.

In reading up about this area, I have an interest in Eze, Antibes, Nice, and St. Paul de Vence in the Cote d'Azur. Also, can you go to this area and NOT see St. Tropez or Cannes?? I'm also on the fence about Menton...

In Provence, I am interested in Avignon, Isle sur la Sorgue, Aix, St. Remy, Biot, Les Baux, Cassis (is Cassis in Provence??) I'm sure I'm overlooking other spots. Any ideas? Are Carcassone or Marseille worth it given my timeframe?? Vaison, Nimes, Arles??Others??

I don't know if seeing all of these places is too ambitious for 7 days - it sure sounds like it, which is why I am hoping for some advice for those who have been to recommend the BEST of this area in the time that I have...

Also, any advice on where to base myself and what I can see by train vs. driving? I would MUCH prefer to take the train, but I realize that may be limiting. How is the driving in this area? Are roads pretty good and well marked? Do English GPS systems help when you're travelling to the small towns?

I have a gazillion questions, so thanks in advance. My trip is right around the corner and I have nothing booked, so I am trying to fast track the process. As always, your help is very much appreciated...

P.S. My interests are in beautiful scenery, cute towns with cobblestone streets and great cafes/restaurants. I'd love to see the lavendar fields, but not sure if they will have been harvested already. I also really want to visit at least one nice vineyard, but not sure if there are any in this area. I will probably also hit the beach for a half day if we have time...
Old Aug 5th, 2009, 06:03 AM

see my trip log AH Provence.

To me Provence and Cote d'Azur are very different trips.

Provence wonderful tows and charming villages. Cote d'Azur beaches/Nice/Monaco/St. Tropez, Cannes,

I prefer Provence.
Old Aug 5th, 2009, 06:08 AM

Right off the bat I can tell you that trying to see what you have listed in 7 days without a car...not a chance! You've got a couple of decisions to make.

Using train, you need to either focus on Provence OR Cote d'Azur region. If you however rent a car you can explore the southern most part of Provence and some of the coast.

We have visited that area twice in the past two years and rented a car. We brought a GPS system. It is extremely easy to drive in this area. If at all possible, this is what I would recommend. After you decide which method of transportation you're going to use, then I've got several recommendations.
Old Aug 5th, 2009, 06:41 AM

You can get away without a car on the French Riviera. You really need to drive to see inland Provence, the little towns of the Luberon, etc. Driving is pretty easy in this area.

Since you have far too many destinations listed on your wish-list, you can use carlessness to cut down your itinerary. Spend more time on the Riviera. Nice is a great transportation center.

Inland, Avignon, Arles, Orange, Nimes and Aix all have train stations. (Note the distinction in Avignon and Aix between the TGV stations, which are out of town, and the intown stations.) There are doubtless buses also, but your tight timeframe makes adjusting to bus schedules limiting.

The lavendar will no longer be in bloom in September.
Old Aug 5th, 2009, 06:59 AM

Cassis is near Marseille, which is one of my favorites. I also loved Arles and St. Remy, found Aix to pretty but kind of boring, but many love it.

On another trip I visited Ville Franche, Eze and Monaco and enjoyed all but I like being near the sea.

I agree with others, it's not possible to see all the cities you list in 7-10 days. Do some research, read reports, read guide books and narrow your focus.
Old Aug 5th, 2009, 07:56 AM

Biot is on the Riveria & not Provence. Carcassone is waaaaay far away.

You noted that you like beautiful scenery - but you are primarily visiting large cities. You'll need a car in both the Cote d'Azur & Provence to see the beautiful scenery.

If you really have 10 full days, I think both the Cote d'Azur & Provence can be visited - assuming that you fly in/out of Nice or into Nice & out of Paris (there are early trains from Avignon to CDG). I would spent half the time in Nice and half the time in/close to a small village in the Luberon in Provence.

If you only have 7 days, I would just stick to the Cote d'Azur. Stay in Nice & use trains to get to all the coastal towns & villages. Then rent a car for several days to visit St Paul, Vence, Gourdon, Biot, and the beautiful gorges & scenic mountains (Alps) just in back of Nice.

We've vacationed for 32 weeks on the Cote d'Azur & Provence. I've developed a 27 page itinerary that describes my favorite 'stuff" in that region. e-mail me at [email protected] if you want a copy.

Stu Dudley
Old Aug 6th, 2009, 06:21 AM

The little Train des Pignes goes north from Nice (the little Gare de Provence north of the main RR station) into the Alpes Maritimes. For a daytrip, most people get off at Entrevaux, walk (climb) around a bit, then return on the train to Nice. This trip gives you an easy sampling of the mountains without a car.
Old Aug 6th, 2009, 07:04 AM

Entrevaux is only 1 hr away from Nice by car. There are some fabulous gorges right there that you can drive through (train won't take you there)

Stu Dudley
Old Aug 6th, 2009, 02:36 PM
Original Poster

Ok, I think we have decided we will take the train around Nice, Eze, Antibes, etc. And drive in Provence...Seems easiest this way. With this in mind, if you have any recommendations, I would greatly appreciate them.

Also, any tips on vineyards in these areas?
Old Aug 6th, 2009, 06:58 PM

There are numerous vineyards north of Aix. There are "Caves" all along most roads you can just stop and have a taste at. Always sample the most local. I had some amazing Cotes du Rhone.