Evensong in London

Search

Evensong in London

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26th, 2003, 07:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evensong in London

Any suggestions...we would like to go to one Evensong service while in London....
Old Feb 26th, 2003, 08:17 AM

The evensong service at Westminster Abbey is wonderful. Check out the website www.westminster-abbey.org for a listing of service times. There's no choral evensong on Wednesday, and I believe the service on Saturday is at 3:00 -- otherwise it's at 5:00.<BR><BR>I've also heard that evensong at St. Paul's is great.
Old Feb 26th, 2003, 08:24 AM

Since you mentioned in another post that your husband has not been to London before, Evensong at either Westminster Abbey or St. Paul's would be a good choice. You can check their websites for specifics <BR>stpauls.co.uk<BR>westminster-abbey.org <BR>Another lovely Evensong service I can recommend is at St. Bartholomew the Great , check greatstbarts.com for times.<BR>St. Bartholomew is one of the oldest churches in London , both its music and architecture are marvelous.<BR>
Old Feb 26th, 2003, 08:27 AM

Hi <BR>when you check schedules, I'm assuming you want a SUNG evensong?<BR>Make sure schedule specifies there will be a choir<BR>Many churches have them. The Actor's Church in Covent Garden is another one, and it's another St Paul's.<BR><BR>For a complete listing of Church of England churches in London,the diocese has a website at http://www.london.anglican.org/index.htm
Old Feb 26th, 2003, 08:29 AM
Original Poster

perfect..thanks!
Old Feb 27th, 2003, 05:34 AM

hmathis,<BR><BR>All the info you have been given is accurate.<BR><BR>But one warning, if your experience is improved by the opportunity to sing during a portion of the service, you would have a better time at a choral eucharist.<BR><BR>While the building is much more impressive at Westeminster Abbey, I preferred the choral eucharist at St-Martin-in-the-Fields to the sung Evensong at the Abbey.<BR><BR> Keith
Old Feb 27th, 2003, 06:56 AM

Westminster Abbey, St. Paul's and Westminster Cathedral (Catholic) all have daily Evensong Services or Vespers. Check with the churches to see the times, as they vary depending on the day of the week. Most of these are choral but some are spoken so that should be clarified as well. In addition, other churches have a Sunday Evensong. I have been to St. Bartholomew's The Great and St. Bride's (Fleet Street). All the cathedrals in Great Britain have Evensong and I have especially liked Christ Chrurch in Oxford and Gloucester. Friends of Cathedral Music publishes a schedule that can be obtained from the British Tourist Office that lists all the cathedrals and churches that perform Evensong with the dates and times. Evensong is a wonderful time to hear superbly trained choral singers in beautiful settings and should not be missed by anyone with an interest in this area.
Old Feb 27th, 2003, 09:25 AM

I second the recommendations for St. Paul's and Westminster Abbey. A couple of things, though:<BR><BR>Make sure that you don't go on an evening when it's just the Lay Clerks (the men) or just the boys. Unless you want that, of course. They usually give one group or the other a day off. I want to say this is usually on a Friday, but definitely check on their websites.<BR><BR>When are you going? If it's during the summer, keep in mind that choirs often go on holiday periodically. Even in May, you might catch a visiting choir instead of the regular choir (which isn't all that bad - I was in one of those visiting choirs at Westminster once, and the tourists didn't seem to mind).<BR><BR>If you want to venture farther afield, and are visiting during term time (check University websites), I can definitely recommend New College and Magdalen Colleges (men and boys) and Exeter College (mixed) in Oxford. Exeter usually has evensong on Sunday evening, Tuesday or Wednesday evening, and Friday evening (although Fri. is usually just men or just women). Enjoy!