Euston area, London...inconvenient?

Oct 17th, 2002, 03:00 AM
Robdaddy

Euston area, London...inconvenient?

Considering a trip in late March (good deal with AA vacations, and Thistle Euston is a hotel choice.

Having never been to London, I'm wondering whether we should spend a bit more money and choose, say, the Thistle Victoria, which seems to be more centrally located.

I know the tube system is terrific and you can get anywhere of interest without much trouble, but just how far out is Euston and are the connections convenient? Sadly, due to time and budget constraints, we'll only have four days, so this is more important than it normally be on one of our trips.

Looking forward to getting your input. Many thanks. Rob

Oct 17th, 2002, 03:26 AM
bob

Victoria area is much more conveient than Euston, given those two choices I would pick Victoria. Having said that, Euston is not really that much farther out. Yes, the underground connections at Euston are excellent. Have fun on your first trip,

Oct 17th, 2002, 04:44 AM
Geoff Hamer

Neither Euston nor Victoria is really central, but both have very good tube links; they are both on the Circle and Victoria Lines, Euston is on the Northern and Metropolitan Lines, and Victoria is on the District Line. At Euston, there are two tube stations - Euston and Euston Square - but they are very close. Euston and Victoria both have restaurants nearby if you need to eat out locally, but it's better to get a tube or bus into the West End, or a more attractive area.

Oct 17th, 2002, 05:53 AM
bob

Robdaddy, which airport are you flying into?

If London Gatewick (LGW), then Victoria might make more sense because you can take an express train (the Gatewick Express) right from the airport to Victoria. As we live in Dallas, we almost always fly in to LGW, and have used the Gatewick Express many times.

Oct 17th, 2002, 06:12 AM
Ben Haines

I am afraid I disagreee as to connection from Gatwick. First, it is clearly a matter for just two journeys, arrival and departure. Second, the Thamelink train runs straight from Gatwick to London Farringdon, where you cross a passenger bridge to the Circle Line and on on to Euston Square.

Ben Haines