Eurostar from London to Paris

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10th, 2004, 07:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm going to London in 2 days and I'm wondering if anyone knows if it's possible to book a reservation for Eurostar to Paris just a day ahead of time? I'd like to do a 1 day round trip there sometime during the week I'm in London but not sure which day will be convenient until I get there.
Old Jan 10th, 2004, 08:30 PM

Sure - the tickets will be more expensive than advance purchase. But do have some flexibility about your schedule. Sellouts are less common in the winter - but some trains/classes do fill up.
Old Jan 10th, 2004, 08:53 PM

Linda,

Here's the RailEurope website. I think you might need the Leisure or Leisure Flexi Fare Category. You may have to copy and paste this link.

http://www.raileurope.com/cgi-bin/fs...Schedules.y=11

Or here's their toll free number. They are very helpful. You are short on time, so I'd probably just call them and buy, over the phone.

1-877-257-2887 in the US
Old Jan 11th, 2004, 03:22 AM

I just booked a ticket online for my mother--we're in London now and will be going to Paris tomorrow.
Actually, the ticket was NOT more expensive than the fare quoted several weeks ago for the same date. A couple of tips, however:

When you first log on to Eurostar web site, pick the UK as your country of residence. We found the prices were cheaper by giving a UK residence than a US. The address you provide in the online booking form does not have to be your credit card's billing address. So you could give your hotel address as the booking address. You'll be picking up your ticket at Waterloo anyway.

Remember that one way fares are far more expensive than round trips. So if you want to watch your budget, book the cheapest round trip fare (example: from Paris to London, the cheapest round trip was about 100 euros; the cheapest one way was more than twice that. Same goes for London to Paris).
Old Jan 11th, 2004, 03:27 AM

Forgot to add that yes, pick the leisure category instead of business, as noted above.
Old Jan 11th, 2004, 03:34 AM

Final note (and then I'm off to Somerset House!), we find the Leisure First worth the extra expense. The first class cars are seldom crowded, it's very peaceful in the cars, more room for luggage (since there are fewer people trying to find space to stow their stuff), and the attentive service is welcome. On my way over to London, I enjoyed a couple of glasses of champagne, a very nice light meal (far superior to sandwiches, etc.) two glasses of red wine (Morgon 2001), coffee, gourmet chocolates, all served at my seat by very personable staff. They also offered me the latest British newspapers and magazines.
If you are traveling on a tight budget, go standard class, but if you can afford a minor splurge, go first!
FYI, the 5 star Swissotel The Howard turned out to be a good place to stay, especially at the rate of 100 GBP per night, tax included, for a double with Thames view.
Old Jan 11th, 2004, 09:01 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all of your good advice. You gave me just the answer and instructions I needed. BTilke, enjoy the rest of your stay. I'll be there in 1 1/2 days and can't wait!!!