Restraunts And Food!

Search

Restraunts And Food!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10th, 2004, 10:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Restraunts And Food!

Im looking to get a feel for some of the basic prics in Paris, Florence, and Rome.. Out of these which is relatively cheaper to eat, attend points of interest and be entertained?

Also i was wondering if anyone could Recommend any restraunts in the 9th in Paris? (relatively inexpensive) that are pretty tasty?

Any French food i should definately try while in france??? Any i should maybe stay away from?

Thanks !!!
Old Jan 10th, 2004, 11:11 PM

Metropolitan ciies are always more expensive, but bargains are available. Personally it's just a matter of where you really want to go, IMO.

As for Paris, anyplace in particular in the 9th? What do you consider "cheaper"? I will be staying in the 9th for the first time at the end of the month and will gladly post our eateries upon return.
Old Jan 11th, 2004, 02:38 AM
jmv

I am a big time eater and enjoy especially the off beat cuts you can get in Paris/France. I've happily eaten the plate of piggy parts they have at Pied de Cochon--nose, ears, tail and feet of pig. Even I, however, have found it impossible to choke down tripes which are often feaured in the sausages called andouilette (sp?) The smell is overwhelming and nauseating. To read a really funny, tears to your eyes, account of some travelers' experience with tripe, check out the website burkeandwells.com Do a search on excremental encounter. You'll understand what I'm warning you away from. Other than tripes, if you're willing to try new experiences, the sky's the limit. Enjoy.
Old Jan 11th, 2004, 03:20 AM

as to food, try everything!

even the most common meat (beef, pork or lamb) has a different taste than american cuts. what the europeans do with sausage would make jimmy dean weep.

seafood comes in varieties different from our waters. langostino is definitely not lobster and the mollusca all have a different level of salinity.

the cheeses (particularly the soft ripened) are phenomenally varied and americans don't have a clue as to the assortment of fungi (porcini, truffles, seta) that the french and italians routinely blend into their cusine.

now you've gotten me hungry!
Old Jan 11th, 2004, 05:10 AM

In my pre-trip research I have come up with the following because they are around our family's hotel and rented apt:

-Le Viking which shows a menu for 15.50 and a formule for 10.50 (euro) and a specialite de la maison dessert buffet.
see www.restaurantleviking.com

-Bistrot des Deux Theatres has been recommended on Fodors, but I couldn't find the thread to see if it mentions prices.

-Le Tastevin 14 r. Rougemont (wonder if it is related to the one on Ile St. Louis)

-Le Diamantaires rue LaFayette (has an orchestre which plays evenings according to the ad)

Has anyone heard of or tried these? thanks
Old Jan 11th, 2004, 05:17 AM
ira

Hi airo,

Paris and Rome are about the same price, Florence, I found, was slightly less.

You can do very well in all three cities on a low budget.

If you don't have a hotel yet, I can highly recommend the B&B Peterson in Florence. www.bedinflorence.it

See my trip report http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34451044
Old Jan 11th, 2004, 07:43 AM

I have mentioned Bistro des Deux Theatres, for one, and would recommend that. It's on rue Blanche, a little north of Ste Trinite church, as I recall. Their prices are great -- they have a prix fixe dinner that is only 31 euro which includes everything -- wine, dessert, entree and main dish, and even a kir as aperitif. They have several good choices for all those courses, also. They are owned by the Bistro et Cie company which has about half a dozen good bistros in Paris. I think they have another one in the 9th, but on place Clichy. Here is their web site you can view the restaurants and their menu/prices:
http://www.bistro-et-cie.fr/
Old Jan 11th, 2004, 07:47 AM
ira

>Any French food i should definately try while in france?<

Definitely "ris de veau".
Old Jan 11th, 2004, 09:10 AM

avoid rognon d' anything...

The two most reliable bargain places to eat we've found in three visits since '98 are Chez Maitre Paul, near the Odeon Metro (do a search and you'll find all kinds of recs), and Le Progres in Montmartre, which is a great bar with special plats for 10euro that were terrific. We had a great lunch there, with grilled chicken breast over a huge salad of mixed greens, green beans, tomatoes and other veggies. Included was bread and a carafe of house wine. I don't have the exact location, but if you come down the funicular and turn right, it's about two blocks. An amazing selection of wines by the glass, beers, etc this was a real find. We've also found many inexpensive places in Paris, simply by strolling around, checking out the posted menus, and noticing where people seemed to be enjoying their meals. Paris also has that wonderful carte des musees, which is most economical if you like hitting all kinds of museums and sites (the only biggie it doesn't cover is the Eiffle Tower). Since we've only spent 3 days in Rome and 2.5 in Florence, we didn't have the luxury of discovery that we've had in Paris. We liked Rome more than Florence, but I've got a friend who just spent the summer in Florence taking a lanaguage course, and she found some good, neighborhood places.