European/Italy Itinerary help or suggestions needed

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26th, 2014, 09:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
European/Italy Itinerary help or suggestions needed

Hi all,

This Oct,

I am taking a month-long trip to Europe,firstly flying into London(I have a small lecture to do whilst there).

Afterwards, I would like to get to Rome (flying London to Rome?). After spending 3 nights in Rome, driving onto Florence and staying in outlying area avoiding the ZTL's. And spending 5 nights there, during which, taking day trips out to Pisa, Cinque Terre and Siena (poss). Then onto Milan and Lake Como resting there about 4-5 nights, taking day trips to the other Lakes and poss up north to the Dolomites. Then a change of pace of driving to Austria(I plan to purchase the sticker for the car) and staying Innsbruck a couple of nights(I have left that option open as to whether not I will do that, or just drive somewhere else during that time like Balzano, Verona,etc) and then driving back down, this time ending up in Venice (ditching the car at the Venice airport, before taking the bus or train to the city). From Venice, an overnight train voyage to Paris (where I intend to stay for the week and just live life like a local). Then I fly out of Paris.

This is all tentative and subject to change due to my whim.

I have been to London, Paris,Florence, and Innsbruck on a prior trip about a decade ago. I know this is alot of ground to cover. I have always try to re-do prior trips and add a new place or places to enjoy. I have also been on a train and just have gotten off when it suited me (that's when I discovered the wonderful laid-back life of Lugano, Switzerland) . I am also an obsessed planner of what to do and where to stay, so it doesn't feel like I'm missing out on anything. I love going to museums and have a great pair of walking shoes. I love driving and being in a car and the freedom that comes with that. I will purchase a toll pass for Italy so that I won't need to have worry about having to pay the tolls.I am already have an application ready for an International DL. I will be traveling solo.

So that being said, I was wondering if anyone else has a better flow or opinion about the itinerary. The only "must" is that I am flying into London and leaving from Paris. Everything esle is up for change.

Thanks in advance,

Lisa
Old Apr 26th, 2014, 10:52 AM

It sounds like a great trip to me. My only comment is that I would spend more days in Rome. Unless you have seen Rome before I think 3 full days (4 nights) is the absolute minimum and i would make it 4 days if possible.

In 3 days you can do:

Day 1 - the Vatican (museums, St Peters, Dome, Treasury, Scavi (Crypt) and Castel SantAngelo
Day 2 - main sights of Ancient Rome: Coloseum, Forum, Pantheon, Capitoline Museum
Day 3 - Best of the other 2,000 years of Rome (Borghese Gallery with advance tickets required, a couple of churches - we love San Clemente where you can descend back through time to get to the Roman Temple of Mithras at the bottom - and a host of piazza and fountains)

I might take one day from Florence and one from somewhere else if possible (Innsbruck is cute but one day there is plenty)
Old Apr 26th, 2014, 11:16 AM

Do not drive in Florence.
Old Apr 26th, 2014, 11:51 AM

Most of the places you want to visit in Italy are places where a car is useless or almost useless, and which you can visit easily and inexpensively by train. The car would be useful in the Dolomites and probably in visiting the lakes, and in Austria.

The overnight train from Venice to Paris is not anything at all like the Orient Express. The trains are not plush, the service is almost nonexistent, and the food is dreadful. I took this train once from Milan, and back home. I wasn't expecting much, and I was satisfied with the trip, especially since it allowed me to take the trip with only three nights away from home instead of four. However, it doesn't seem as if you were short of time, nor that you want to rough it.

If I were you, I'd either fly to Paris, or I'd take a day train, perhaps stopping over in Switzerland on the way. My sister once took the train from Paris to my home in Italy, stopping over in Lucerne in one direction and in Strasbourg on the way back. The train trip is very scenic, and both cities are well worth a visit.

You might want to visit Milan after Venice. In that case, you could use the train up until the time you get to Venice, and pick the car up on leaving Venice, dropping it in Milan after visiting the lakes. Milan is in a better position for your trip to Paris, especially if you want to go by train. There are even direct TGV day trains between Milan and Paris, although it's a long trip (7 1/2 hours).
Old Apr 26th, 2014, 02:47 PM
ira

Hi Op

> (ditching the car at the Venice airport, before taking the bus or train to the city).

You can drop the car at the end of the causeway into Venoice, just as you get to the city.

Enjoy your visit.

Old Apr 27th, 2014, 06:48 AM

Did you know that the TGV now goes between Paris and Milan? I agree with bvlenci - the overnight from Milan is very uncomfortable.

Love Lugano! It's relatively unknown, but so perfect!

This sounds like a great trip, and you won't miss the things you didn't do when you're finished. If anything, I'd cut the Cinque Terre, because it's a trip unto itself, and not spend too much time in Milan, unless you're a shopper.