Search

European Honeymoon in November?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7th, 2017, 10:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
European Honeymoon in November?

Hi there!

My Fiancé and I are getting married this November 2017. We both would like to spend our honeymoon in Europe, but are looking for suggestions on the best cities for a mid-November time period. We have about 10-12 days, so spending time in a variety of cities/countries would be ideal.

We thought about taking a mini-moon somewhere we know will be warm in November, but the idea of fewer crowds and "off-season" pricing in some European cities is drawing us to that option.

I have my heart set on Italy (starting in Northern Italy and making our way down the "boot") but concerned that the temps/rain may not be ideal.

Anyone have any suggestions on countries to visit or has anyone else ventured on a European getaway during November?

Thanks!!
Old Mar 7th, 2017, 10:30 AM

Nowhere is likely to be warm by your standards in November. And 10-12 days is not long. You really can't go country-hopping unless you have several weeks. Stay in Italy. Or Sicily.

We live in France and often travel in November to other countries. It's most often cold and rainy and windy here in Europe. That time of year if we want warm weather we go to Morocco.
Old Mar 7th, 2017, 11:10 AM

We spent a delightful month in northern Italy and Rome quite a few years ago. While it was not warm, the weather by and large was not bad. It rained a few days (well, more than a few), we experienced acqua alta in Venice, and landslides blocked the railway to the Cinque Terre from Genoa, but by and large we had a great time!

The best thing about it was that there were no crowds: We were able to spend as much time as we wanted watching the restoration of the Last Supper in Milano, looking at the Scrovegni Chapel in Padua, etc.

As StCirq says, 10-12 days isn't very long. I'd certainly go to Venice--one of the most romantic places on earth and, if I were to marry again, where I'd want to honeymoon--, spend, say, four nites there, then do the rest of the time in northern Italy. There are a lot of smaller cities, each one very different from the others, and each one worth at least a day. Or there are lots of smaller villages that would be worth a visit.

And forget about Germany and the Czech Republic that time of year--we spent an April Easter in Prague one year and nearly froze.
Old Mar 7th, 2017, 11:53 AM

I haven't done it in November, but I often visit more than one country in that time period. IN fact, I almost always do as I don't have unlimited vacation time and like a variety of experiences. You can just explore one country more in-depth, if you wish, sure, just depends what you want.

Anyway, you just need something that is do-able logistically. If you only wanted to concentrate on one city in Italy (or even 2 like Florence and Rome), you could easily fly or take the train to a second country for several days. But you talk about starting in Italy and going down the boot, etc., so sounds like you want to spend all your time in Italy and do a variety of Italian cities. Italy is pretty big, the obvious would be Venice, Florence, Rome, then Naples, seems to me. That is a lot for 10 days, maybe cut out one of least interest.

AS for countries, well, if you really want Italy, why not do it. Otherwise, I'd pick Spain myself.
Old Mar 7th, 2017, 12:30 PM

Nice and Riviera will be warmer than northern Europe but not balmy- southern Italy may be (or may not be) -I think Venice is a place for honeymooners!

I'd suggest Italy and Venice, Florence and Rome - yes large tourist cities but relatively few tourists then - trains go between them easily - 10-12 days for those cities is about right. Again Italy's trains are great - cars are useless in cities and even banned from many city centers - for lots on trains check www.budgeteuropetravel.com (check out their online European Planning & Rail Guide for lots of rail itineraries); www.seat61.com; www.ricksteves.com.

I've been in those places often in late fall and winter and unlikely to be really cold though you never know. Sure to be warmer than northern Europe and say Paris.
Old Mar 7th, 2017, 12:39 PM

We always spend our anniversary weekend in Paris at the end of Nov and live it. You can see the atmosphere in our pics here's

https://www.flickr.com/photos/pug_gi...57636716043473
Old Mar 7th, 2017, 02:37 PM

Paris indeed can be enjoyable anytime and in all weather but though it could be quite nice chances are it could be cool -not cold - any rainy- but Paris is Paris and always fun - a plus relatively few other tourists around.
Old Mar 7th, 2017, 02:48 PM

Paris and Venice are weather proof.
However days are short in nov, it can be near freezing, it often rains (but not all day) and it is windy.

French riviera in november is about the warmest in western Europe. I even swam in the sea this year the first days of nov. By local standards I was crazy, but it is another story.

Sicily would be my pick.
Warmer than the rest, beautiful, good food, great scenery, fantastic ruins and roman heritage, and walking the valley of temples is incredibly romantic. Locals take a lot of pictures of wedding there.

I visited Knossos in Crete under heavy rains in november.
Sure, there were no tourists. Just us and 4 chinese with plastic overwhatever.

And congrats for your wedding !

Btw we married in july and went on honeymoon in november ... in Thailand.
Old Mar 17th, 2017, 01:29 PM

I think Hawaii is warm in November. If you want Europe in November take advantage of what attracts people there then, Christmas Markets, starting around our American Thanksgiving till Christmas eve. Wear layers and include a waterproof outer layer and enjoy the magic. It is our favorite time to visit the old country. The best markets IMHO are Munich and Vienna but every town has them all the way from Scandinavia to Italy. You might just develop a taste for Gluhwein.
Old Mar 17th, 2017, 02:52 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Warm beautiful weather in November and honeymoon-worthy destinations would include Caribbean islands, Mexico, and Hawaii.

If you want to do Europe, go ahead with Italy just knowing that isn't going to be your "warm weather" vacation.
Old Mar 17th, 2017, 04:30 PM

I'm for Paris and Florence. Plenty of indoor fun in both places.
Old Mar 17th, 2017, 10:36 PM

I think OP didn't find her way back to her thread.
Or doesn't bother acknowledging our posts.
Or got divorced.
Old Mar 19th, 2017, 12:36 PM

Divorced before being married?

Or maybe eloped?