Search

Europe - Shoes, comfort, fashion

Search this Thread

Old May 25th, 2007, 03:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Europe - Shoes, comfort, fashion

Hi All,

I have been to Europe before and many other world destinations, but have yet to find comfortable and fashionable walking shoes!

I will be in Italy in August/September .. so it is going to be HOT. I would like a pair of fashionable shoes that does not need socks. I was look at these, but don't know:

http://www.skechers.com/catalog/brow...tyleCode=36610

Any suggestions?????

Thanks!
Old May 25th, 2007, 04:04 PM

This is a frequently discussed topic and everyone has their own opinions. You are going to end up with a gazillion suggestions!

I don't know about the skechers and wonder what they are made of? They look a little uncomfortable.

Last year I discovered the day before I left for Greece that my walking shoes were missing. So I bought some Keen shoes and ended up walking miles and miles in completely unbroken-in shoes. They were completely comfortable for walking, even up rocky slopes, and I did not have a single moment's disomfort. The ones I bought were the Sydney II. Here's the site:
http://www.keenfootwear.com/product_...m?&catID=5
Old May 25th, 2007, 04:17 PM

I have similar skechers - but in fabric and they're very comfy - you can do miles in them. But these look like some sort of rubber or composition - which I think would be very hot and ucomfortable.
Old May 25th, 2007, 04:25 PM

I have bought a pair of Keen's to wear for walking Italy this summer. I'll be back mid July and let you know.

I went to an LL Bean store and spoke with several of the employees. And, if you don't like the shoes, you can bring them back.

I work on a team of 13 people. The other day we realized four of us had the same style of Keen's on...love them.

I also have some Teva leather sandals with a thing strap that will be my "dress" shoe. Feel wonderful.

Wear both shoes alternately to work to make sure I love them and walk about 1/2 hour a day at lunch. So far, both get A's.
Old May 25th, 2007, 04:33 PM

I haven't tried Keen, but Teva sandals are all I travel with. They are feminine even in black.
Old May 26th, 2007, 03:36 AM

I have some Skechers similar to those but they are leather/mess - the Biker Sightsee. I think they are comfortable and they don't make my feet as hot as a solid shoe. And you wear them without socks - although I would suggest foot powder
Old May 26th, 2007, 07:01 AM

Try Arche. I have flat feet and always had trouble finding comfortable shoes until I found Arche. You can get them in pretty much any style. They are worth every cent, I think and have about 3 pair. I have a pair of black flats that I wore for 2 straight weeks on our last trip to Europe and had no problems. You can google to find where to order but I found Zappos.com the best....
Old May 26th, 2007, 08:17 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I prefer more padding and arch support for shoes I travel with. Naot sandals are my current fav.
Old May 26th, 2007, 01:38 PM

Plastic shoes in Italy in August? No way! Leather is the only material that absorbs sweat well enough.
Arche are indeed very comfy shoes, mainly thanks to their natural latex sole. Look for the model Coumba Noir. It gives very good support.
Whether shoes need socks, that's up to you. I never wear socks in the summer.
Old May 26th, 2007, 02:46 PM

i have the sketchers clockwise and love them.....black leather and mesh. i will be wearing all thru italy this june/ july
Old Jul 20th, 2007, 02:07 PM

Women, don't look any further.

Teva Ventura Cork....There are two styles so it can be confusing. Use this link for a picture.

http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/sto...p;feat=3659-tn

I just got back from two weeks of walking in Rome, Cinque Terre, Lake Como and Milan. And I haven't worn anything else this week.

I'm overweight, have suffered from tenditis and faciiatis.

I have happy happy feet. Try these shoes. A sales clerk at LL Bean recommended them. She survived a week at Disney with them. And if you don't like them for any reason, you can return them.

You won't. They can go with your shorts, sun dresses, casual pants and skirts.

Buy them Now......I'm writing about the shoes before I start my trip report. Buy the shoes.....

GM
Old Jul 20th, 2007, 05:35 PM

I've enjoyed Dansko. The style I chose is both comfortable and stylish.
Old Jul 20th, 2007, 08:26 PM

Tevas are great shoes--look at the array of sandles--also look up Merrell.
The other great thing about sandles is that you can pack a couple of pairs and wear another==easy for airports too,
Old Jul 21st, 2007, 12:39 AM

Suggestion: Practice walking now..a mile or two every day. Chances are that any shoe may be deficient in comfort if the foot within is out of shape.
Old Jul 21st, 2007, 12:49 AM

After nearly 15 years of heavy traveling and having more than one trip at least partly ruined by shoes that gave me blisters in various places, I finally spent close to $200 for a pair of good walking shoes and -- get this -- nearly $400 for a pair of dress shoes that were so comfortable I simply couldn't convince myself they weren't worth the money.

My partner -- whose trips were also partly ruined by my inability to walk -- almost cheered when I told him how much I'd spent on footwear. In reality, I have spent that much and more on cheap shoes that I ended up not wearing again.

Go to the best shoe store wherever you live and try on shoes until you find ones that fit YOUR foot.
Old Jul 21st, 2007, 04:58 AM

Russell Moccasins. Wisconsin. Are they still in business? They build or built shoes to a foot patterns! Price was reasonable.
Old Jul 21st, 2007, 06:28 AM

This is the best advice:

Go to the best shoe store wherever you live and try on shoes until you find ones that fit YOUR foot.
Old Jul 21st, 2007, 08:36 AM

Those Sketchers in the original post do not look like they have any cushioning or arch support. I wouldn't consider them for a walking shoe.
Old Jul 21st, 2007, 08:38 AM

Oops, already said that two months ago. Sorry didn't see this was an older post.
Old Jul 21st, 2007, 09:50 AM

I just got back from Greece and loved the sandals I bought. Two were made in Israel by NAOT, the other was a pair of Merrells. None of them required socks and looked nice enought dressed up or down. Enjoy