Europe in March

Dec 26th, 2004, 04:10 PM
Original Poster

Europe in March

My wife and I are trying to plan a trip to Europe in the second-third week in March. We was initially planning on going to Paris, Madrid, and Prague, but I decided not to visit these beautiful cities when it is cold. I wanted to get advice from people out there, to see which European destination they recommend in the South. It can be southern Italy, southern France..... or whereever. I personally wanted to hit the more commercial cities in Europe first. Any advice would be appreciated.
Dec 26th, 2004, 04:22 PM

..interested in your comments re not visiting these cities when cold. It will not be balmy in March but I think in a big city this is not really important. Museums and cultural activities abound and these do not need perfect weather and are much less crowded at this time of year. Southern France is iffy in March...you might end up with lovely weather requiring only a sweater or it could be drizzly and chilly...think again re the big cities if this was your first inclination.
Dec 26th, 2004, 04:26 PM

March won't be really balmy anywhere in Europe, more spring-like of course in the south, but that doesn't mean it won't be chilly and rainy.
take a look at www.wunderground.com as one source for historical weather info (average highs and lows and precip per month)

If you want to go to cities, go!
I went to Prague in very early March this year, and it was still wintry (coating of snow on the ground) but I fell in love with it anyway. And Paris is absolutely a city that is great even in the dead of winter. Unless you are only going to see gardens, the vast majority of Paris's treasures can be enjoyed indoors, and even spring rains or cold weather wouldn't keep me from strolling and enjoying it.

In March, even more southern climes such as southern France or even Greece won't be at their weather best, and in seasons in which weather is especially iffy, I'd prefer to take my pleasures in cities. If I were going in order to enjoy the countryside, I'd go in a less-fickle season such as late summer or early fall.
But that's me.
Dec 26th, 2004, 04:37 PM

I was in France Feb/March 2004 and surprisingly, it was still cool and downright cold in some places - even in the south of France. I split up 2 1/2 weeks into 1 week in Paris and the other 1.5 weeks in Provence (Arles was my base). The weather mid-March was very chilly and still heavy jacket/glove/scarf weather. When we went to Marseille to visit the Chateau d'if, the wind was blowing so fiercely that I was freezing, esp on the water. Montpellier, Aix-en-Provence, Nimes, etc were all very cool but interspersed with rainy and sunny days so at least there was some variety compared to consistently gray Paris. Overall, the south was still warmer than Paris so I would think it would be bearable for you. The Amalfi Coast is rainy during that time, but still some beautiful sunny days in between, so you can't go wrong there either.
Dec 26th, 2004, 04:40 PM

I agree with the other two respondants - visit the Cities. The south of France, and Tuscany are both north of Milwaukee, Wis - so the weather can be iffy. We were in Tuscany late this past March, and the trees were all bare & not even budding yet. It snowed one day. The Tuscany countryside, however, was lovely - especially around Pienza.
Dec 26th, 2004, 04:41 PM

I was in London and in Paris at the end of March a few years ago and it was in the 50s sunny and windy and beautiful! Flowers were blooming, it remained dry the entire week, we did everything we wanted to without the weather interferring.
We usually go in the fall, we like it when it is cooler, and when the weather is not so fine, you can be inside all of those fabulous museums and shops ~
So I would recommend you go back to the Paris/Prague idea and save the countryside for the really warm weather.
Dec 26th, 2004, 04:44 PM

I agree with the other two respondants - visit the Cities. Provence and Tuscany are both north of Milwaukee, Wis - so the weather can be iffy. We were in Tuscany the last 2 weeks of March this year, and the trees were all bare & not even budding yet. It snowed one day. The Tuscany countryside, however, was lovely - especially around Pienza. Florence was great, without the crowds.

Stu Dudley
San Mateo (San Francisco), Ca
Dec 26th, 2004, 04:55 PM
Original Poster

I am convinced guys. Thanks, really I appreciate the quick advice. I think I am going to do Paris and Prague, so I am back online looking for the cheapest special to travel between these two cities. Please let me know of any particular hotels you guys know off in Prague or Paris. Or better which ones should I clearly avoid. Thanks again, Happy Holidays
Dec 26th, 2004, 05:01 PM

For inexpensive in Paris, I am also looking at the St Paul, The Bonaparte and the Lutece, all on the Left Bank.
Good choice, KG
Dec 26th, 2004, 05:14 PM

I recently looked into budget-minded hotels (2 stars%) for an upcoming repeat visit to Paris.
In addition to what Scarlett suggested:
Grand Hotel des Balcons
Hotel St Jacques
Hotel Jardins de Luxembourg
Residence Monge
Pont-Royal
Degres de Notre Dame

for comments on any of these, search for them here, at the top of this screen under Hotels, or at tripadvisor.com

For Prague, you could consider the Cloister Inn, it's very popular.

I have files on Prague and on Paris; if you'd like to see them, email me at
[email protected]
Dec 27th, 2004, 05:37 AM

I totally agree with the others about going to Paris,etc. in March. I've been there and London every March for the past several years and it's always been either very nice (it was in the low 70's a few days last March in Paris)or cool and rainy. But there is so much to do inside if the weather is bad for a few days. You can even eat at outdoor cafes in Paris in March, they have outdoor heaters.

You originally mentioned Madrid as another city you were considering, and you seem to have a preference for somewhat warmer weather. I was in Prague in July and loved it but I understand it is more wintery in March than Paris/London, etc. Why don't you consider some city in Spain for your second city (if not Madrid, Barcelona - I think you can get there just as easily from Paris as you can get to Prague). There are also other places even closer to Paris such as Amsterdam, Belgium,etc. and you can very easily get to them on a train in a few hours. Just a thought. I absolutely loved Prague, and most of it's charm is in the architecture (rather than gardens) so spring would be as good as summer. But it will have a very different feel with snow. And it's very much a walking city and if it's too cold it might not be as enjoyable.