Best not-cold places in Europe in March

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17th, 2007, 02:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm planning a trip to somewhere in Europe (likely near the Med) in March with my mother (who wants to be someplace not cold, doesn't have to be beaches and such, just not cold). Current places we're thinking about are Southern France (Provence or Riviera), Italy, Spain &/or Portugal, Greece, or Turkey, though I'm open to suggestions (they don't even necessarily have to be in Europe, but nothing too exotic). I honestly have no idea what our budget it, though I think it's safe to say it's somewhere between but not including youth hostel backpacking (if it were just me, that'd be it, but it isn't) and luxury. Thanks!
Old Jan 17th, 2007, 02:50 PM

For warm weather pretty much guaranteed you could head to the canary islands. It can't be guaranteed on much (if any) of mainland Europe.
Old Jan 17th, 2007, 02:52 PM

What kind of trip are you looking for?

City break?
Beach/ pool holiday?
Shopping?
Culture?
Nature and wildlife?

Old Jan 17th, 2007, 02:56 PM
Original Poster

nona1: doesn't have to be warm, we're not looking for a beach holiday. Nights around freezing or so would be fine, I really just mean not cold, so no Alps, no Scandinavia, etc.

Kavey: Kind of open ended; would definitely like some time in cities, don't need beaches/pools, nor shopping. Some culture would be good, nothing too much on the nature and wildlife (great scenery is always a plus, but we're not looking for a hiking expedition).
Old Jan 17th, 2007, 02:58 PM

I've been to Southern Spain, Provence and Tuscany/Umbria/Rome in March and none were "cold." In fact, we got high temps in the high 60's in Rome when we were there. All of those places required sweaters/coats for the evenings and early mornings, but we pretty much were in short sleeves by early afternoon. If you want to make sure of warmer weather still, a few years ago I started to plan a trip to Sicily in March and they have fairly nice weather that time of the year. Of course, with weather there are no gurantees, but I've been to southern Europe 5 times in March, and I've never had horrible weather that time of the year (but did have horrible weather in March in Northern Europe).
Old Jan 17th, 2007, 03:13 PM
Original Poster

Mariarosa: that's pretty much what I'm talking about. I was travelling around Europe in late March/early April last year, and Italy was plenty warm for these purposes (Rome, Florence, and Venice), while Vienna, Prague, Berlin, and Munich were on the cold side, for what my mom is looking for. This will be a couple weeks earlier (2-11 March), but I would still think that anywhere in Italy outside the Alps would work. Never been to the other places I mentioned (besides Turkey, but that was in summer, and not in an area where
Old Jan 17th, 2007, 03:13 PM
Original Poster

...in an area where I'd like to vacation (
Golcuk, if anyone knows where that is, on business).
Old Jan 17th, 2007, 03:17 PM
Original Poster

I think I sort of overstated the importance of the weather in my original post. What I really meant to ask is, what would you recommend for a week in Europe, for two people who have seen the must-sees (London, Paris, Rome, Florence, Venice, Berlin, etc.), excluding the places that you would describe as "cold" in March?
Old Jan 17th, 2007, 03:18 PM

Barcelona, Seville... both wonderful, vibrant cities with tonnes to see and do and great food too.

Marrakech... exotic, interesting, different and if you do your research you could find a truly magical riad in the medina in which to stay.

I'd suggest Madeira because I love it (and no it's not just for older travellers, I'm only 35!) but I'm not sure it quite fits what you're looking for... it's a lovely place to relax though with some lovely hotels, beautiful scenery, excellent restaurants and low-key sights/ museums. If you do look into it make sure your Funchal hotel is as near as possible to the old town and NOT in the modern hotel zone.

I've been to other places in Portugula (such as Lisbon and Estoril) but to be honest it was so long ago I just don't have strong enough memories other than remembering that I enjoyed them!

Have heard good things about Malta, but never been myself.

Another place I've not been would like to visit is Egypt... I hear it's better to choose a high class operator as food hygiene problems abound in cheaper hotels and cruise vessels.

If you're thinking of a tour rather than a one-stop visit how about Jordan in the Middle East? My visit to Petra was a real highlight and I loved Jerash too. Food wasn't great though and it's really only about those historical attractions if I'm honest.

Old Jan 17th, 2007, 03:19 PM

That strange destination above, Portugula, is actually just a horrendous typo and should, of course, read Portugal!
Old Jan 17th, 2007, 03:52 PM

I have been to Europe in March when in snowed in Florence. A week after we left (first week of April), it snowed in Paris! So the weather can be iffy. Like others who have posted here, I'm guessing that the best bet will be down south near the Mediterranean. Malaga and its environs would be nice.
Old Jan 17th, 2007, 03:57 PM

And a few years ago it in northern Italy they were praying for snow and in southern Italy they got a tremendous amount of snow. Weather patterns are sure changing.

Old Jan 17th, 2007, 06:33 PM
Original Poster

So, I have it tentatively narrowed down to Provence/Riviera, Southern Spain, Madrid, Barcelona, or Turkey (would probably split the time between Istanbul and another place). Any input? Just checked airfares, not much difference between the various places, so that's not a deciding factor.
Old Jan 17th, 2007, 07:21 PM
Original Poster

Alright, just talked to my mom, decided on France, thanks for everyone's help (I'm sure I'll have more questions, but I'll post a new thread when those come up).
Old Jan 27th, 2007, 06:07 PM
BDM

We spent 10 days in Estoril (just outside Lisbon) 6 years ago for a surprize party for my Dad's 65th bday.

The weather was great (light jacket or a sweater). We were there midFebruary.

Portugal is stilll one of the travel bargains of Europe.

Have fun wherever you go.
Brian