Europe by eurail

Search

Europe by eurail

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14th, 2012, 02:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Europe by eurail

I and two friends are planning to travel to Europe midsummer. We hope to fly to Prague, from there to Greece and then Italy, and then work our way to the northwest. We're just starting to plan and have about 1 1/2 to 2 weeks to travel before we need to be in London for an 8-day cruise to Wales, Ireland, and Scotland. We plan to travel primarily by eurail and hope to take some routes by overnight rail. What destinations are must-sees? and is this too ambitious? We're fairly flexible and plan to chunnel over to England from France prior to our cruise. Thanks for any help and suggestions/advice you have to give.
Old Sep 14th, 2012, 02:53 PM

You can see parts of Italy and Greece but not a lot in 2 weeks when you include Prague and time to get from one place to another and then to London.

You won't be able to effectively cover this ground by train (I'm assuming that's what you mean by Eurail). Your best bet is to fly from Prague to Athens and then to some place in Italy. Buying a rail pass would be a waste of money unless you want to spend a lot of time on trains and see very little of the sights.

I couldn't find a route for Prague to Athens so you'll have to figure that out by starting with Prague to Budapest (7 hours) and then work your way through several countries to Athens.

Sarajevo to Venice (about half of the Athens to Venice trip) is 22 hours.

Perhaps a map of Europe would help you out. These places are not next to each other.

PS I have no idea what the verb "chunnel" means. But have fun doing whatever it is.
Old Sep 14th, 2012, 02:58 PM

Well some great sites IMO to help plan a European rail trip and about passes and alternatives as well - if you are under 26 then you can get the bargain IMO Eurail Youthpass - anyway check out these fine fine sites - www.budgeteuropetravel.com; www.seat61.com and www.ricksteves.com. Download the first site's superb IMO European Planning & Rail Guide for lots of suggested rail-oriented itineraries in various countries (http://www.budgeteuropetravel.com/si...s/rg011210.pdf).
Old Sep 14th, 2012, 04:38 PM

Eurail is a travel agent that sells train passes - but it has noting to do with operating any of the trains. Each country has a separate (or perhaps more than one) train company that actually operates the trains. Also Eurail's train info is very limited - there are many more trains that they don;t list on their schedules (bahn.de the german RR has the best site for searching actual schedules - but can sell you tickets only for trains starting in Germany).

Seeing Prague and parts of Greece and Italy is extremely ambitions (dare I say - way more than yu will actually get to). To do just the big 3 in italy - Rome, Florence and Venice you need at least 10 or 11 days. Prague deserves at least 5 nights - and to see any of Greece you will need at least a week.

So you have some serious decisions to make - or you will find yourself with a very expensive and exhausting tour of the train stations of europe. (Some of the trips you're talking about are close to 24 hours - just a total waste of time.)
Old Sep 15th, 2012, 04:06 AM
ira

Hi SL,

>... fly to Prague, from there to Greece and then Italy, and then work our way to the northwest....<

A month ought to do it.

4 nights in Prague
1 day to Athens
5 nights in Greece
1 day to Rome
10 nights in Italy
1 day from Venice to Paris
6 nights in Paris
1 day to London

Enjoy your visit

Old Sep 15th, 2012, 05:18 AM

Eurail isn't a travel agent, it's simply a brand name for a particular kind of rail pass that various national rail companies have set up. It's just a marketing concept. Some people think there is one national railroad company in all of Europe called that, though, which there isn't, I think because they have never been there and don't realize it's just a marketing term.

YOu can't do what you want, it's crazy.
Old Sep 15th, 2012, 06:50 AM

Anyone else think this is a "play"? They've used all the hot button words!! LOL
Old Sep 15th, 2012, 07:53 AM

'play'? please explain?
Old Sep 15th, 2012, 07:59 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
You just need to make an itinerary. You can't really talk about "Greece" and "Italy" you need to pin down the cities/towns you plan to go to.

While you certainly could physically cover the ground between Prague, Greece, Italy, and France in 14 days, you really wouldn't have time to see much of anything and would spend a lot of money moving yourself all over the place.

I think you're using the word "eurail" when you just mean taking the train?

I agree with the idea of a map. Put a map of Europe up on your wall and start marking the places you want to visit, and you'll see what we all mean.
Old Sep 15th, 2012, 09:37 AM

Please get a map of Europe and chart the distances, because you can't do what you say you want to. And then see if a Eurrail pass makes any sense at all, which it sometimes does for young people trying to cover an entire continent in a couple of weeks.
Old Sep 16th, 2012, 08:32 AM

ttt
Old Sep 17th, 2012, 07:07 AM

We're fairly flexible and plan to chunnel over to England from France prior to our cruise.>

For Chunnel tickets book as early as possible - there are several tiers of fares with some deep discounts of perhaps $50-70 or so but full fare is well over $200 I think - so book as early as possible but keep in mind such tickets are not changeable nor refundable so be sure of your dates. The early bird does indeed get the worm in Chunnel train tickets to London.

www.eurostar.com is the official site and easy to book on and print your own tickets. Sometimes first class is not much more than standard or 2nd class because of tiers allotments being exhausted so check both. First Class on Chunnel trains IME is way way better than cramped 2nd class.
Old Sep 17th, 2012, 12:07 PM

We plan to travel primarily by eurail and hope to take some routes by overnight rail.>

I've taken literally hundreds of overnight trains in Europe and always found them safe and nice - but I can tolerate a modicum of noise - those who cannot will not find overnight trains, which always entail some outside noise (or inside the compartment if multi-person one with the ubiquitous snorer!) - otherwise you save on a cost of a hotel and wake up bright and early in your next city, saving travel time as well - even over flying as flying can take up a half day ho matter how close or far apart are your airport cities - getting to the airport - early enough for minimum times - waiting at other end for bags - getting into the city, etc.