Europe alone

Aug 7th, 2003, 05:48 AM
Original Poster

Europe alone

I'm interesting in finding out how many of you take solo trips to Europe.

Since my children were born (they're 4 and 1), my wife and I have had to stop our yearly travels to Europe. But because I'm a complete addict, I've been traveling alone the last two years, and I plan to do it again this year. My wife's OK with it because I literally don't do anything else all year (no golf, no nights out, etc.), and I've a very active father.

Does anyone else do this, or is it just me?

Aug 7th, 2003, 05:50 AM

Take the kids or go alone, but no matter what you do, to answer your question:
Yes, other people do it and have a good time doing it.
Aug 7th, 2003, 06:57 AM

I have done it twice when my wife could not go--but that is only 2 out of 22.
Aug 7th, 2003, 07:05 AM
ChatNoir

Yes, people do it. My husband and I have very opposite travel interests and styles. Way too much stress and potential for trouble to do it together ALL THE TIME.

Aug 7th, 2003, 07:13 AM

I travel alone a lot. My work schedule and somewhat warped sense of what's interesting make travelling alone an easier option.

That said, sometimes the evenings can get a bit quiet.
Aug 7th, 2003, 07:18 AM

Definitely. I was supposed to take a big trip throughout Italy with my boyfriend earlier this year, but we broke up. I did not change my plans, went alone, had a lovely time, and have no regrets about the trip at all.

BC
Aug 7th, 2003, 07:53 AM

My most memorable trips have been the few I did solo. Can get lonely at times especially if you're into nightlife etc.
but the freedom to come and go and do as you please (within reason) far outweighs that. I think the "Lonely Planet" traveller is up for it a lot more. They even have a section on their site for meeting up with fellow lone travellers if things get too lonely. (Not a dating thing). Keep it up.
Aug 7th, 2003, 08:50 AM

I put off traveling alone until I was 40 years old because I knew what would happen. I'd fall in love with it. Went to France for a 2.5 weeks week in May 2001. I had so much fun I went back for another week in April 2002. Now I'm addicted even more. Between trips with my Dad and friends, I'm planning solo trips. Going back to France this Thanksgiving for 10 days alone.

I do think it's easier for me in an English or French speaking country. My French is pathetic, but it's enough I can ask directions, order food and read plaques in museums. When I'm in a country where I'm completely unfamiliar with the language it helps to have someone to bounce ideas off of. I keep telling myself this so I won't have to add dozens of countries to my solo travel list.