Search

Euro Travel Quiz #25 - Places

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5th, 2015, 08:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Euro Travel Quiz #25 - Places

Today's abbreviated quiz:

1- This Berlin S-Bahn station when the Wall existed was dubbed The Palace of Tears - what station was it and why was it so nicknamed/

2- Rome's ancient port is now one of the finest archaelogical sites in Italy - if you can't get to Pompeii at least take the short metro ride here!

3- Stresa on Lake Maggiore has three famous islands just offshore - each with a different delight on them - what are they called collectively?

4- Le Petit Train Jeune is a famous narrow-gague railway in France - where does it run?

5- In Italy where are the Castelli Romani?

First to name the most correct wins!
Old Jan 5th, 2015, 08:46 AM

1. Friedrichstrasse, as it used to be the crossing point into East Berlin and visitors had tearful farewell with West German hosts.
2. Ostia Antica.
3. Borromean Islands, as they belonged top the famous family of Borromeo (of which St Charles Borromeo, the saintly bishop of Milan, was one).
4. In the Pyrenees.
5. Group of communes not far from Rome, of which perhaps the most famous is Castel Gandolfo with the Pope's summer palace.
Old Jan 5th, 2015, 08:47 AM

May be rather jellow train than young train
Old Jan 5th, 2015, 08:57 AM
Original Poster

Alec got em all! He wins three free years of contributing to Fodor's (plus shipping and handling)!
Old Jan 5th, 2015, 08:58 AM

2.I was not aware that Ostia Antica was on the Metro - I thought you had to take a train.

3. The Borromean Islands are each very different from the other two but there are small local ferries that circulate around them from Stresa. If you start early you might be able to do all 3 in one day.

4. The train IS jaune - not jeune.
Old Jan 5th, 2015, 10:33 AM
Original Poster

2- It used to be a trenitalia regional train but I believe now that this line is part of the Rome metro system - still a train however you look at it - I especially used metro to indicste how close it is to Rome and easily done in a half day or so.

Thanks for Jaune correction

https://www.google.com/search?q=le+p...=1600&bih=1075

This is one of three SNCF run narrow-gauge railways - experts do you know where the other two are - one is very obscure the other well trodden by tourists to get to this famous Alpine resort.
Old Jan 5th, 2015, 12:38 PM
Original Poster

Train jeune would be a 'young train' not yellow! A little young train?
Old Jan 5th, 2015, 12:41 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
[smart] Alec gets the prize before the rest of us are out of the starting blocks. well done Alec.

Does it really matter whether the train to Ostia is on the metro or not? Buses, Metro and suburban trains are all covered by the same ticketing system, so it makes no difference to the average traveller.
Old Jan 5th, 2015, 12:47 PM
Original Poster

It did to me several years ago when I had a month long Eurailpass and was told it was not valid on the line to Ostia Antica anymore as it was they said part of the metro and not the FS Italian State railways. But yes for most not a factor - probably covered under regional or Rome travel passes and the train takes you smack right to the entrance as I recall.

Well Alec puts a new meaning to "smart Alec"!
Old Jan 5th, 2015, 01:20 PM

Good job Alec.

I am not participating because I already won 2 prizes from PalenQ......but I was made to pay the shipping charges.

PalenQ gave me a certificate for 2 years of Free posting on Fodors.!! What deal !!!