Euro in Budapest

Search

Euro in Budapest

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20th, 2011, 02:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Euro in Budapest

I know Hungry has their own currency (Hungarian Forint (HUF) but will they readily accept the Euro (without charging a Premium)?

Many thanks
Old Jul 20th, 2011, 02:56 PM

Who is "they"? Hotels, restaurants, mom-and-pop shops, grocery stores, pubs, taxi drivers, metro, buses, trolleys, museum admissions, churches? The answer varies depending upon what you're trying to buy.

As for not charging a premium - you're SOL and you should be; after all, if you're American and someone tried to use Canadian dollars at your establishment, you'd charge for the inconvenience of having to convert the money and then charge more to cover for your own conversion transaction.

ATMs in Budapest spit out Forints and they're easily accessible (the former Iron Curtain countries have electricity and running water, you know) and pulling some out of the nearest ATM (if arriving by train or plane, this can be done with ease) was easy when we were there 8 years ago.
Old Jul 20th, 2011, 03:22 PM

<< but will they readily accept the Euro (without charging a Premium)? >>

Absolutely not!
Old Jul 20th, 2011, 03:25 PM

May be accepted in some places but most only take forints, esp for train or bus tickets, admissions and smaller shops and restaurants. Just get enough forints from ATMs, or exchange euro for forints in exchange offices, which charge no commission and their rate is usually better than banks (but check before you hand over your money). Also credit cards are widely accepted.
I was there last year.
Old Jul 20th, 2011, 03:26 PM

No.

Many places will not accept euros at all. Those that do are giving you a special service - and naturally expect to be compensated - by charging you a very disadvantageous rate of exchange.

Why is it so complicated just to go to an ATM ad get some forints?
Old Jul 20th, 2011, 03:39 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Aw, C'mon folks. At <i>least</i> s/he didn't ask if they take $$
Old Jul 20th, 2011, 05:44 PM

We were just in Budapest, armed with forints as it is their currency. We found that we could use Euros in many places, excepting transportation like buses, subway, etc. We also used our credit cards when possible. That said, and not knowing where you are going, I certainly would not go with the expectation of using Euros. We had come off a river cruise, and had Euros left from the trip.
Old Jul 20th, 2011, 07:17 PM

The B&B we used had the following policy:

"Payments are accepted in EUR, USD, HUF or in any fully convertible currency, at current daily rates."

It quoted the room rate in euros, which we found acceptable, even if it would have been cheaper in forints.

http://www.bellevuebudapest.com/inde...en&faz=1&aaz=0