Search

Budapest

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22nd, 2018, 03:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Budapest

We will be In Budapest in June, can I use euros or so I need the local currency???
Old Mar 22nd, 2018, 04:58 AM

You can use euros in many places, but get forints. It never makes economic sense to use a foreign currency in any country.
Old Mar 27th, 2018, 04:31 AM

Yes it is much better to have Euros on you.
Today's exchange rate is 311 HUF to a Euro.
Many places will gladly take your Euros, but on an average you will get around 290 HUF for 1 Euro.
Also you can pay by Euros in many big chain supermarkets, the rate is publicized at the cash register.
A few days ago I took some tourists to buy souvenirs at a Tesco and the rate was 310, which was quite good, at least what I would think if being offered that.
Old Mar 27th, 2018, 05:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
@oksi - don't you mean it's better to have forints on you?? Why accept a poor exchange rate when all you need to do is visit an ATM? (Today's exchange rate is actually 312.764 according to xe.com.)

Expecting to spend USD is usually seen as a characteristic of ugly Americans, is expecting to spend euros a characteristic of ugly Europeans?
Old Mar 27th, 2018, 08:49 AM

Use credit cards, and pay only in the local currency.
Old Mar 27th, 2018, 10:50 AM

YES.
Of course I wanted to say "have FORINTS on you". Sorry
The best rate is 311.51 minus the 0.03 transaction fee.
By FAR the best rate in Budapest ever.
XE.com is ONLY good for general calculations (like approximate hotel or ticket costs, etc.) but has NOTHING to do with real Forex or Bank rates. At least in Hungary!
Old Mar 27th, 2018, 11:17 AM

Also I have to add that in my almost 25 years of guiding people around (English/Russian speakers, occasionally Greek) I definitely have learned that quite a few country's/banks CC-s were and ARE not the best option for withdrawing money from ATM. It all depends SEVERELY on your country of residence. Only North American and some European cards were OK. However I definitely remember my American clients used to be charged 4-6 % bank commissions (for purchases) back in the 90-s. That's why MOST of them those days were quite well loaded on cash. Especially Americans and Canadians, some also brought along traveller's checks.
Before the "frighteningly horroristic" internet advises of avoiding cash (mid 2000-s and up to day) by all means, 90% of my clients were EXTREMELY fine and happy bringing cash. By the way most of them in the were and are in the 65 and up category. Old school people, not afraid like nowadays younger internet users
A money belt or something similar was more than adequate for safety and those days, oh boy, we had zillion times more pickpocket guys/girls and other "polite" people (AKA scammers).
Just one example:
A regular customer coming to Hungary since 1989 or 1990 through 2008, mostly twice a year had ONE SINGLE case of money theft. His wallet was stolen on the local train to Szentendre. He lost something like 200 bucks (which was nothing to cry out loud for him) AND guess what?
By the time he arrived to Szentendre, 45 minutes ride plus an hour or so of walking around before relaxing at a cafe and realizing the wallet's gone, his Credit Card was charged 4,500 $US (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) of purchasing Furniture and some bathroom appliances/utensils. Those were the non-cellphone days for most of the Americans visiting Europe, so by the time he managed to reach his bank, the purchase deal was settled and the money was gone forever.
ONE single event in almost 20 years and happened with his Credit Card.
Old Mar 27th, 2018, 11:28 AM

A credit card has NEVER been the best option for withdrawing from an ATM. That is what ATM/debit cards are for! Travelers checks have been dinosaurs for years. If a credit card is stolen the card holder is NOT liable for any charges so there is something wrong with your example..

I'm 70. I wear a money belt. The only USD I carry are a couple of hundreds and few twenties for emergencies (I travel for months at a time and usually bring them home).

I have an ATM card with NO fees, 0.03% or other, that also refunds any fees charged by the foreign bank. I have several credit cards with NO fees. I carry a certain amount of local cash, the amount depending on the country, obtained from an ATM at the interbank rate.
Old Mar 27th, 2018, 12:23 PM

North American credit cards are never a decent way to withdraw cash anywhere overseas, particularly now that there are debit cards with no transaction fees at all, not even the 0.3% you cite. It's not rocket science to get such a card if you travel often and small percentages are important to you. Credit cards start charging you interest the minute you use them to withdraw money. This is not a complicated concept.

I would consider "ONE SINGLE" case of money theft to be unacceptable. I would also consider a 0.3% transaction fee to be unacceptable. As for traveler's checks, they have been dead in the water for at least a decade.
Old Mar 27th, 2018, 02:25 PM

Makes NO difference whether we are talking of Credit or Debit. I just used the name. Here in Hungary we call EVERY single card a Credit Card. HITELKÁRTYA it is, even if its a Debit card. Its just a name.
As I have said mostly American and a few European cards are Okayish. MANY cards issued by Central-Eastern European countries, Asian etc are by far NOT the best option to travel with. Most of those people use them just in case, mostly as a back-up.
0.3% transaction fee is a LAW! We are all VERY much different. I personally consider it a ZERO-O-O-O-O-O amount. If that would be unacceptable for me, I would RATHER stay home forever. Same thing for a SINGLE theft in 20 years. To be PC I will try not to use the word for such way of seeing the things in life.
I don't even mention that in many countries you still have to pay hefty 3-10% commissions and BELIEVE it or not, usually there is not a single ATM within solar miles to withdraw some cash. Even in not so remote countries like Bosnia or Montenegro (just to name a few) there are for instance lots of gas stations taking just one type of card. Same applies to Ukraine or Russia.
I remember like some 10 years ago even in such a developed country as Austria the largest Supermarket used to accept one single Austrian issued debit card (I think it was a card called Quick or something like that). Many supermarket chains refused to take any credit cards at all and it was not that long time ago.
In MANY countries still, quite a few places will not take your CC, finding 1,000 various excuses for doing that. Travels are not only my job, its my most favorite hobby and way of life as well.
Since 1981, when me and a buddy traveled all over the Caucasian Republics I have learned zillion times over that a CC is just a piece of useless plastic in at least HALF of the surface of this little Earth of ours.
Old Mar 27th, 2018, 06:59 PM

For people with US cards it makes a VERY GREAT difference whether you use a credit or ATM card in an ATM. If you use a credit card you will immediately start paying interest on the withdrawal.

There are only a FEW places left where you cannot use plastic. I used cards in Russia in 2004, and ATM and cards in Georgia and Armenia in 2009. I needed crisp new USD in Myanmar in 2004, but I understand you can now use plastic there, too. I had no trouble using plastic in the Balkans (since I use public transport I am uninterested in the situation WRT gas stations.) It's true I needed USD again for Uzbekistan in 2016, but even there the black market is now a thing of the past. Some places, like Denmark, you will have trouble using cash. Ditto for the trams in Amsterdam according to a recent thread.

0.3% transaction fee is a LAW!
Rubbish. I used ATM and credit cards in Hungary on multiple visits. I did not pay a fee.
Old Mar 27th, 2018, 07:26 PM
kja

Originally Posted by okszi
Makes NO difference whether we are talking of Credit or Debit. I just used the name.
If you want to be seen as a credible source of information, you might want to rethink your careless use of inappropriate language. Long, misleading posts really don't serve you well. JMO.
Old Mar 28th, 2018, 01:41 AM

<<0.3% transaction fee is a LAW!>>

As noted, that is complete BS. I have two cards, neither of which charges me a red cent for foreign transactions.

If as you say travel is not only your job but your "way of life," you might want to get a bit more au courant and learn to be accurate in your postings. There is a huge difference between a credit card and a debit card, whether you are a European or not. And no, transaction fees of any kind are not the law.
Old Mar 28th, 2018, 02:32 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
okczi wants to become a source of information on a number of middle european countries, trouble is it tends to be a fair bit out of date or in fact wrong. We do welcome your input but you need to up your game.... ;-)

In this case get forints and use a debit card for cash at ATM. When you do pay for things like hotels watch out in case the hotel tries to "kindly" let you pay in dollars, you want to pay in forints when using your cards otherwise they may hit for multiple currency transactions. Traveller's cheques are to be avoided. If you want "panic" money then dollars are fine, but don't expect a good rate.
Old Mar 28th, 2018, 04:08 AM

My info is absolutely correct. Only mistake was not adding that transaction fee applies for ABSOLUTELY every single Forex exchange transaction concerning cash (for everybody) and all the Banking operations for locals. Dear government always find good excuses of stripping us of our assets. Everybody makes mistakes. Sorry.
Concerning CC or debit whatever you name it there are TONS and TONS of places not only in Hungary, but also in every single country in Central/Eastern Europe, Middle East or Asia where they are useless. YES you can use your card in those countries, BUT at an average in about 60-80% less places than it would be in the US or Western Europe.
For instance one of the most authentic and best Hungarian cuisine's restaurant in Budapest just have started taking plastic a few years ago. At the same time my absolute number One hidden treasure (FORTUNATELY for an average tourist its rather difficult to reach) cafe/restaurant STILL accepts only CASH!!! They are immensely popular among locals so they can afford having that privilege.
Also you have significant discounts in smaller Hotels, B&B's, Markets, Street vendors (For instance in Asia those are the places where you have the best food ever), sometimes up to 30%. So if someone concerns about 0,3% (!!!) commission fee, then 30% extra would probably be like winning a National Jackpot to such a person...
By the way did you ever tried using an EU issued card on multiple US gas stations or small businesses??? I am sure NOT!
Otherwise You would be shocked that they DON'T take most of the foreign Cards!!! I remember how in 2016 somewhere in Pennsylvania, (not so far from DC) at 3 am in the morning we were SO glad we always had cash on us. Also in the US you can't rent a car on Debit, even if you have 50,000 bucks on it and the car you are going to rent is only 10,000. New law and that's it. Most of the Europeans from areas around here have ONLY Debit cards. We still don't like to owe money to a financial institution. Its much better to live knowing your financial limits and having no nightmares of the debt collectors coming your way. Yes our houses and cars are much, much smaller, but at least you know they are paid for
So many (even EU members) Europeans feel kinda discriminated overseas when trying to pay using Debit Cards.
I know that my examples are BS like someone quotes, but I am in the travel business for almost 25 years and travel to all the neighboring countries (plus Russia and Ukraine) ALL the time, kinda 365 days a year. Also my trips cover every single aspect of life, like a simple multi day, multi country historical/cultural tour; helping a Russian buying a car in Austria or Germany, finding an overseas visitor's ancestors in Hungary; doing a transfer to Prague or Dubrovnik; organizing a real "meet the locals 10 course ethnic food dinner in a local village; you name it.
I don't even mention of how many people sending me private messages, especially on the largest travel forum kinda looking for suggestions for perspective use of my services for a future trip and after having received all the necessary info just disappearing in the depth of the travel web
So whatever you think I have a tiny knowledge of the aspect which can probably be dramatically different from visions of a short time frame traveller's views.
Old Mar 28th, 2018, 04:21 AM

I'm not a "short time frame traveller." I live in Europe and have been traveling here for more than 40 years. And a great deal of your information is simply bogus.

And I'm not particularly impressed with your travel credentials, either. There are many credible people out there doing the same thing you're doing, without dispensing false information and lecturing North Americans on how they should spend their money. I don't think you're doing your tour business, such as it is, many favors, by posting this kind of nonsense.
Old Mar 28th, 2018, 05:50 AM

My info is absolutely correct. Only mistake was not adding that transaction fee applies .....
This poster appears to have difficulty with logic as well as with accurately conveying facts. If you made a mistake your info was not accurate, QED. And when you are eschanging cash the fee and exchange rate are whatever the outfit thinks it can get away with.

The new software gives users the ability to "ignore" specified posters - you simply do not see their posts. I have not used it as yet, but I am tempted to use it for this okszi person. If he cannot be bothered to get his facts straight, I cannot be bothered to read his rants.
Old Mar 28th, 2018, 06:39 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The trouble is, if you ignore such writers the poor OP never gets the right information, because you will not see the errors being offered up to be corrected.
Old Mar 28th, 2018, 07:52 AM

Good point, bilbo.